For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
uede915's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I wonder if the network speed drops are related to the city/metro you are in (yes, am aware that there are many towers in a city, but perhaps AT&T is having problems in certain areas and that's why some folks are seeing a slowdown while others are not).

A request: Can folks who have switched from grandfathered plan to unlimited *PLUS* mention which city they are in along with they are seeing a drop in speeds after the switch?

thanks!

-andy

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

7 years ago

Have the new unlimited plus plan, not seen any speed degradation in these central Florida locations:

Haines City

Winter Haven

Lakeland

Orlanda/Walt Disney area

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I can re-affirm what others have pointed out here as far as slower data/weaker signal as soon as switching over from unlimited (grandfathered) to unlimited plus. Yes, I turned off stream saver right away. First day back to work instantly noticed buffering and poor video quality (noticeable on larger iPhone 6s Plus). Also, always automatically connected to a nearby attwifi hotspot when in a certain area at work and that always prompts for login credentials now (note: good speeds I had before were on cellular connection not just wifi) have called and talked with tech support but that goes no where. Therefore I too have come to the conclusion that unlimited plus is NOT the same service level as grandfathered unlimited.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

You either have unlimited choice not plus and are unaware of the difference or haven't tested your speeds before and after. I am in south Florida and ran several test before and tons of test after and have noticed no noticeable difference. You must realize 373726 factors go into this one of which that is most important is what day of the week and time of day your running your test and testing your speeds. Same spot on different days and different times will yield wildly different results.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Salsi78  There is no service speed difference between the old plan and the new plus plan.  If you are on the plus plan, either you are experiencing heavy congestion, or the account is provisioned wrong.  Best bet, call ATT ask for advanced tech support, and ask what's wrong.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

RA1129,

Not sure if your last post was directed at me, but yes I have the Unlimited PLUS multi line plan, previously had two lines of grandfathered unlimited data on rollover minute family plans. Yes, you are absolutely correct in stating that there are many variables as far as cellular connections (tower used, peak times, users connected, etc), I don't discount these, however I think it unlikely that my issues arose immediately afterwards and have remained consistent is a mere coincidence. Note, that I was not aggressively "testing" before or even afterwards as I was under the impression it was the same plan, same speeds, same connection priority, etc (I only changed for the tethering, free HBO, directv savings, and price reduction). I only started "testing" more so as soon as I noticed everything was buffering/slower in the SAME spot/and times while at work (where I would notice it most). This has been consistent for the last two weeks. I can appreciate that YOU don't have a problem in south Florida but unless you have testing with 373,726 other users verifying your assertions, you are just one sample (as am I). But I have still come to MY conclusion there is something different in the way the network handles the two plans. I will try and do a sim swap from ATT as well, as this may re-register me on the network correctly somehow (although I doubt this)... I don't know.Things I have tried: turned stream saver back on (I turned it off the first day with in the first hour of changing plans) and toggling stream saver back off a couple hours later, each time performing a hard reset on my phone after 5 minutes. I've called ATT tech support (was also calling about the lack of attwifi connection i previously had), they had me perform a network settings reset (which i had already attempted several times before) and they claimed to send a reregister signal (forgot the exact term they used) when it was restarting. That actually seemed to help the first time they tried it but a couple days later it was the same. I will post back if/when I try a new sim as doubtful as I am that will do anything.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Agreed different places in the country completely different experiences and as far as Att tech support it's hit or miss sometimes you get someone knowledgeable and sometimes you get someone who hasn't a clue. Good luck

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

It is the same connection and potential speeds, signal strength, etc as the grandfathered unlimited plan. There is zero difference.

All technical aspects of a phone's connection to the network are identical on Unlimited Plus, retired DirecTV unlimited, Mobile Share Advantage (under the allocation on full speed data) and grandfathered unlimited. Only the prices are different and provisioning in billing system. Otherwise in the systems that dictate technical aspects....all the same. Prepaid and Unlimited Choice are different of course but we're comparing U. Plus and grandfathered here. No difference.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

For what it's worth, I went ahead and signed up for Unlimited Plus, dropping the grandfathered plan after ~10 years. A scary plunge, to be certain. Happy to report that there seems to be no conceivable difference in speed or service. That said, the weeks before I made the switch and a couple of weeks after, my iPhone 6S was crapping the bed, and by the end it simply refused to connect to the network whatsoever. I took it into Apple to have the battery replaced, and when that didn't fix the problem they outright replaced the phone. So it's possible I had gotten so used to my crappy iPhone connection that anything seems better by comparison. But I've had this phone for over a year and a half now, and I don't think these speeds are any different than what I had the preceding 18+ months. So for me, in the Los Angeles area, consider the connection speeds between the Grandfathered plan and the new Unlimited Plus plan a wash. I'll update if anything changes.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Sounds like there is a big trust issue with AT&T.  There should be no guess work.  This could be resolved easily with AT&T providing a performance guarantee whereby offering those who switched to the plus plan the option to go back to their original grandfathered plan should the customer experience an issue in performance (due to the switch) on a limited basis if needed. Why is this so difficult AT&T???  Those on the grandfathered plan currently are some of the most loyal higher paying customers.  Appears that there is always an angle being worked.  Be transparent, be fair and put the customer first.  This approach always wins.  I also wonder why AT&T does not allow the grandfathered population the option to tether (even limited tethering).  Again, anything to get folks off the plan.

It's really all about proving a superior customer experience, right?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.