Helpful Links

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Tutor

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Message 1 of 124
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

I am in the same boat. I'm grandfathered and the agent yesterday told me that unlimited choice would not slow me down and it is the exact same as I have now. He even gave me his agent id number and told me to copy our script because I was skeptical. Well, according to what you are saying, it is in fact slower than what I have and he is a liar right? And the plus plan is not slower, but the same as what I have now?

I'm trying to decide because it would at least give my wife unlimited as well and be the same price for us if we switch to plus.

Message 16 of 124
Anonymous
N/A

I have the plus plan and it is definitely slower than before. I never used wifi because the data transfer speeds with the phone service were much faster than wifi. I tested my service against wifi all of the time just to be sure. It's hard to believe but true. Also, all three of our phones lost one to two bars of service wherever we are. Both my wife and my son said there was something wrong with their phones the day after we switched. Are we all crazy?

It's bizarre and I know some people think that it doesn't make sense but I am very in tune with my phone. I've had an iPhone since day one and I'm on it all day long.

The service is not the same. I understand how the data transfer can be throttled down but I don't understand the loss of reception.

At&T is pulling a fast one.

Message 17 of 124
ACE - Expert

1greatdad wrote:
I have the plus plan and it is definitely slower than before. I never used wifi because the data transfer speeds with the phone service were much faster than wifi. I tested my service against wifi all of the time just to be sure. It's hard to believe but true. Also, all three of our phones lost one to two bars of service wherever we are. Both my wife and my son said there was something wrong with their phones the day after we switched. Are we all crazy?

It's bizarre and I know some people think that it doesn't make sense but I am very in tune with my phone. I've had an iPhone since day one and I'm on it all day long.

The service is not the same. I understand how the data transfer can be throttled down but I don't understand the loss of reception.

At&T is pulling a fast one.

@1greatdad

dont buy it...  I had a MS plan switch to unlimited plus and service is the same.  Now there could be a tower down for change over.  Have you call CS to see?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 124
Tutor

According to my talk with an AT&T rep, the lower tier unlimited plan is
slower and only allows up to 480p video. It includes unlimited to Canada
and Mexico and comes with 10GB of hotspot (which the grandfathered plan
does not). The more expensive plan has the same speed as the grandfathered
plan (up to 22GB/month) but also includes Canada/Mexico and the 10gb
hotspot.
Message 19 of 124
ACE - Expert

@danc13 The lower tier plan (unlimited choice) does not include hotspot. Only the unlimited plus includes hotspot.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 124
Anonymous
N/A

I HAVE THE PLUS PLAN. I worked with the tech dept. for...

I HAVE THE PLUS PLAN.

I worked with the tech dept. for an hour and they tried to figure out the problem and they could not figure it out. She admitted that there was a problem.
Message 21 of 124
Anonymous
N/A

I HAVE THE PLUS PLAN. I worked with the tech dept. for...

I HAVE THE PLUS PLAN.

I worked with the tech dept. for an hour and they tried to figure out the problem and they could not figure it out. She admitted that there was a problem.
Message 22 of 124
Contributor

Maybe Im mistaken or naive, but I had two lines that were grandfathered in.  I was told 3 to 4 times (I had the person repeat it to me) that each line would have 22 GB of data.  I am now on hold with ATT because I got my first alert at 16GB and logged onto myATT app only to see that both lines share 22GB.  Some months Im a data hog, some months my wife/kids use tons on her phone.  If we have to share 22GB a month this is going to be a major problem.  ** I was on hold for a supervisor for 16 minutes and they just disconnected me while I was typing this.  elevator music abruptly stopped.  UGH!  If anyone has experience with this and can reply, Id appreciate it.  

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

[word filter avoidance]

Message 23 of 124

If you are starting 22gb you arnt on unlimited. You are on a 16 GB plan more than likely and have 8 gbs of roll over. Unlimitrd gives you a warning about deprioritization at 16 but it's just a reminder more than anything
Message 24 of 124
ACE - Expert

@soakes wrote:

Maybe Im mistaken or naive, but I had two lines that were grandfathered in.  I was told 3 to 4 times (I had the person repeat it to me) that each line would have 22 GB of data.  I am now on hold with ATT because I got my first alert at 16GB and logged onto myATT app only to see that both lines share 22GB.  

Unlimited has no limit on data, it's UNLIMITED.

IF your line hits 22GB and IF and ONLY IF the tower you connect to is overloaded, you get (deprioritized) served last (which makes you seem to be slow) once the tower you are on goes back to being normal, you go back to being fast. There are people who use HUNDREDS of GB and never notice being deprioritized (and some of those who notice say it so small and short it doesn't matter).

This 22GB deprioritization rule is the same on most of AT&T's unlimited plans (Grandfathered phones, Unlimited Plus, Unlimited DirecTV).

CHECK YOUR PLAN TO SEE YOUR PLAN NAME...

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 25 of 124
    Tutor

This is incorrect, unlimited choice plans are limited to 3Mbps for all internet surfing and 1.5 for video streaming meaning you will only get 480p quality video which is actually DVD quality and on smaller devices like iPhone 5 or even 6 like non plus size phones look really good. Unlimited plus plan has no speed limit. Both have speed limits or slowed down after 22gb of use.
    Message 26 of 124
    Tutor

Unlimited choice is slower unlimited plus is the same actually better because you can tether up to 10 GB
    Message 27 of 124
    ACE - Expert

@Ra1129 wrote:

Unlimited plus plan has no speed limit. Both have speed limits or slowed down after 22gb of use.

That is incorrect, neither Plus or Choice automatically slow down after 22GB.

IF your line hits 22GB and IF (and ONLY IF) the tower you connect to is overloaded, you get (deprioritized) served last (which makes you seem to be slow) once the tower you are on goes back to being normal, you go back to being fast. Sometimes these slowdowns are fractions of seconds or a few minutes (at a stadium at a big game I'd expect longer).

There are people who use HUNDREDS of GB and never notice being deprioritized (and some of those who notice say it so small and short it doesn't matter).

Unlimited choice is slower unlimited plus is the same actually better because you can tether up to 10 GB

Choice is slower as soon as you use it, that's a CHOICE users made when choosing the slower plan.

• This is the public AT&T community forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When solved / helped, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 28 of 124
    Teacher

Did your service ever get better?? Do you have Speedtest numbers for before and/or after you switched over??
    Message 29 of 124
    Teacher

Did it ever improve?? Need to decide last minute to change as I'm flying to Canada tonight, but am hesitant to leave my grandfathered plan behind if it's going to slow my speeds down...
    Message 30 of 124
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support