Get the myAT&T app
uede915's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, March 21st, 2017 9:24 PM

Grandfathered unlimited data vs new Unlimited Plus Plan

Hello everyone,

I'm considering ditching my grandfathered plan but don't want to go to unlimited choice and get capped @ 1.5 MBps for video.  Does anyone know if there is any capping on the grandfathered plan vs the unlimited plus?  If not, it would be cheaper to just keep the old plan..... 

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@uede915 That's a decent price. But I'd go for the newer plan.

Get a friend (or two) to share the plan and you'll start saving money.

(Don't buy their phones on contract, then you are responsible if they leave!)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Timd73 And @collegeboy

Carriers are maintaining a separate program for the old plans. It’s a nuisance and it costs money to maintain multiple plans.  Here is the newer plans.  https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

The Premium is same as far as speed, 22 gig reprioritization threshold 

What the OLD PLAN HAD:

no tethering

Limited calling and texting

did allow discounts from employers.

what the new plan HAS

15 gigs of tethering.  

Roaming and calling in and to Mexico and Canada

free TV and premium options worth $15 to $30

Only military and veteran discounts AND   If you are military/veteran or first responder there is a bigger discount. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Only that data speeds may be lowered after 22GB, same as the unlimited plus plan. Hard to believe the old plan is costing you less. Don't forget your grandfathered data plan is going up $5. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L found an odd post on Reddit from a customer who made the switch.  

While the new plan was cheaper, the taxes went from $17 to $40 a month for 6 lines.  

So you might want to look at your taxes.  If they are unusually low for your state, they might go up.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the responses guys.  My plan currently is 89.99, which is 39.99 for 450 minutes, 10 for 1000 texts, and 40 for data.  By switching to the new plan I would get Canada and Mexico included and tethering, which is probably worth it in the long run.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I also have a grandfathered unlimited plan and from what I understand, the main difference btwn it and the Unlimited Plus plan is 1) Canada and Mexico coverage and 2) 10GB for Hotspot. While the old plan is more expensive, I have a 25% employer discount on the old plan so it comes out to the same as the newer Unlimited Plus which does not allow for employer discounts yet. Since I don't need any of the added services of Plus and don't want the slower speeds of Choice, I'm going to stick with my old plan unless the new plans begin to accept employer discounts. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I made the switch and my service and speed has been off ever since. I recommend you don't switch over. My phone use to NEVER buffer not it buffers all the time. I turned off the data saver by the way so I know that's not it. Don't switchover keep what you have.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Redman123123 wrote:
I made the switch and my service and speed has been off ever since. I recommend you don't switch over. My phone use to NEVER buffer not it buffers all the time. I turned off the data saver by the way so I know that's not it. Don't switchover keep what you have.

@Redman123123

i have not seen a difference in service levels.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Did you power cycle your phone after turning off Stream Saver?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I did.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.