Get the myAT&T app
Riamia1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 2:40 PM

Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

Please help!  The family map service is giving a message of "not able to locate" one of the numbers on my plan.. . It is an iphone 5 and we were able to locate this number before the phone/software upgrade.  The phone is on and in clear range.  It seems like a glitch with the new iPhone software.  Is there a fix out there? 

Thanks in advance!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Still not fixed.  The LTE band-aide is just that.  If you can turn that feature off, then your son/daughter can just turn it back on. 

One thing I've noticed on a 5s being searched for via the ATT Fam Map is that results appear random.  Some times the 5s can be found and displayed, others you get the "can't find the apple phone" error message. 

By random, I mean the ATT locate function in Family Map seems to work in certain areas better than others. Not sure why this might be..maybe the cell towers used to triangulate the phone are not ATT?

It also seems to work most of the time if you ping the 5s via a "text" or "dial/hangup"call (get the phone ringing, then hang up).  It's almost like the 5s is in battery save or sleep mode and needs to be woken up before it can be found.

Anyway, this is a major annoyance and should be fixed.  You listening ATT ???

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

What is the net effect when you disable LTE? Can you still stream adequately? Can you have a call open and still surf the web?  What exactly does that setting provide?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I just don't get it.....I was able to locate the iPhone 5 for both family members' last night but today, neither one can be located. It can't be a service area problem because one of the iPhones I attempted to locate was in the exact same location both last night and today ---- in my home, in my son's bedroom. He has the Family Map app, his phone is on and Location Services is on as well. 

I REALLY wish AT&T would fix this problem. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This is one of the most frustrating and absurd technical issues I've ever dealt with. Like everyone else in this forum has said, Family Map worked great to locate both my teens phones -- even an iPhone 4 -- for several years. But when one upgraded to the iPhone 5s, Family Map stopped working for that phone and no amount of time spent with online tech support, in the AT&T store (and now that I've found this forum, I see that the manager there was either ignorant or lying when he said this is a totally unknown issue that no one in the world but me had ever experienced), or now looking through this forum has been able to resolve the problem. So I continue to pay for a service that's supposed to locate two phones and can only locate one, and AT&T continues to offer only "Sorry" but no solutions. I was so very hopeful after the most recent Family Map update that I would finally be able to locate the 5s, but no ... The best we can get to is this: I have to send a text asking teen to check in, and they then have to open the Family Map app on their phone and click "Check in," which sends ME a text with a link that I have to click to get their location. Developers clearly don't have a clue as to why this is a virtually USELESS workaround with teens, who will claim they didn't see the text until an hour later because their phone was on silent (giving them plenty of time to get back to where they're supposed to be), or the app malfunctioned or "accidently" got deleted off their phone, or the million other excuses that could NOT be offered when I could just locate the dang phones and get clear confirmation and history of their location. This is just really, really ridiculous ...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

This feature was awesome when it worked with iphone 4.  It was very accurate.  Now that my daughters have upgraded to iphone 5's its horrible.  It's time to cancel this option.  I would advise anyone who is upgrading to iphone 5 drop this worthless option from at&t.  They seem not to care about fixing the issue.  The problem has been known since late 2012.  I'm DONE with waiting.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Well it has been 2 years now since the ATT Family Map worked correctly without the companion app.  Now the IPhone 6 is being announced for being introduced approximately September 9, 2014.   The ATT family map works on the 3, 3G, 4 and 4S without the companion app which is not and never was a fix.  Can you tell us if the ATT Family Map will work on the Iphone 6 and if the problems that developed with locating the Iphone 5 and 5s has been corrected.  As you know, the public/consumers are not happy with the "companion app" fix and want it to work as it did prior to the 5 and 5s.  Everyone has voiced their opinions so I am curious to see if they adapt it back into the Iphone 6 and give the consumers what they want.  If this app does not work as it did before the 5 and 5S, the app will now become obsolete as most people waiting for the Iphone 6 are the people with the 4S (which was the best phone Apple ever introduced).  If those 4S remaining phones upgrade to the 6 and the family map does not work, the app will then be dead!  Nice going AT&T going backward instead of forward and blaming everyone else.  Do your job techs and get it working without the stupid companion app!!!!!!

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

OK.  HERE IS THE OFFICIAL UPDATE!  THE AT&T FAMILY MAP DOES NOT WORK WITH IPHONE 6 SO YOU CAN NOW CONSIDER IT A DEAD APP.   2 YEARS AGO ON SEPTEMBERE 12, 2012THE IPHONE 5 WAS RELEASED.  FROM THAT RELEASE DATE THE AT&T FAMILY MAP HAS NOT WORKED AS IT DID WITH THE RELEASE OF THE 3, 4 AND 4S.  AS EVERYONE UPGRADES THEIR PHONES TO THE 6, THE APP IS USELESS!  GOOD GOING AT&T AND THANKS FOR NOT LISTENING TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Employee

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

Hi there,

This issue has been resolved and FamilyMap does work with iPhone 6; sometimes new devices don't get propagated to all of the systems in a timely manner.  This should no longer be an issue, please respond back if it is and I will work to help get it resolved.

Many apologies for the inconvenience!

~FamilyMap Team

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Ok, here it is:  Family Map Does NOT like LTE.  On the phone(s) you are trying to find, You will need to turn off LTE via Settings, Cellular, Enable LTE, switch to Off.

Trade off is not able to benefit from LTE

It seems this has been an issue for a while, at least since iP5 phones were released.

AT&T should really fix this bug, or give users a refund and let them use it for free until resolved.

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

9 years ago

I am glad to see that someone from tech is actually reading, responding and trying to correct the problem.  It is good to see and hear that everyone is trying to help and correct the issue.  I may have figured something out that may help the tech team.  With the original version of family map, nothing needed to be downloaded to the target phone and it worked perfectly.  The person that said it is LTE is correct.  If you enable the LTE even on the iphone 6, the phone is able to be located.  So if you have a younger child and they are not tech savy, you can simply enable the LTE and you are good to go in tracking them the old way with the app!  If you have a teenager that would never agree to being tracked, and would never download the companion app nor turn off LTE then that is where we have the problem.   I did find a way to get around this and maybe tech support can work on a fix since it is identified.  IT SEEMS LIKE LTE PUTS THE PHONE IN SLEEP MODE.  SO WHAT I DID WAS CALLED THE CELL PHONE WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY TRYING TO LOCATE IT THE OLD WAY AND GUESS WHAT IT WORKED!  SO IT SEEMS LIKE IF YOU CALL IT AND WAKE IT UP WHILE YOU ARE REQUESTING THE LOCATION ON THE FAMILY MAP APP YOU CAN LOCATE YOUR CHILD EVEN IF THE LTE IS ON AND THEY DO NOT HAVE THE COMPANION APP INSTALLED ON THEIR PHONE OR RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.  SO MAYBE TECH SUPPORT CAN FIGURE OUT A A WAY THAT IT WORKS THE OLD WAY BY SOMEHOW WAKING UP THE PHONE THROUGH THE APP ITSELF.  BUT AT LEAST IN DESPERATE SITUATIONS, THIS IS SOMEWHAT OF A FIX THAT THEY CAN STILL BE LOCATED.  THIS IS SUCH AN IMPORTANT APP.  I HOPE YOU GUYS FIGURE IT OUT.  I LOVED WHEN I GOT TEXT MESSAGES TELLING ME THEY ARRIVED AT SCHOOL OR AT HOME WITHOUT CONSTANTLY TEXTING OR CALLING THEM. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.