Get the myAT&T app
Riamia1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 2:40 PM

Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

Please help!  The family map service is giving a message of "not able to locate" one of the numbers on my plan.. . It is an iphone 5 and we were able to locate this number before the phone/software upgrade.  The phone is on and in clear range.  It seems like a glitch with the new iPhone software.  Is there a fix out there? 

Thanks in advance!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cheech328 wrote:
I called 3 times to follow-up on this. They are clueless. I explAined that I was told when the updates came out they said it would be corrected that the family map would work without any other added apps as it did with the 3 3G 4 and 4s. Each time they kept putting me on hkd. They did not understand the app or what I was even asking so they could care less about correcting this app so I am not upgrading to any of the new pho Ed. I will be researching phones that it will still work on as I have heart sprint family locator still works on their upgrades so it is just att having this problem. Although I have been with att for 10 years this app is that important that I would switch providers to still be able to locate my children.

May not need the app - but there is this on their web site

*Sprint Family Locator subscribers may notice reduced location accuracy when attempting to locate an Apple iPhone. Sprint is actively working on a solution to improve the location accuracy. We will keep you updated in the online Community.

So you still won't know accurately

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

But at least the accuracy is within a 1 mile radius.  I would take that over "we are unable to locate" any time.  AT&T has yet to respond to any of these people complaining or advising them if there will be a fix. They keep stringing people on and saying with the next update or with the next upgrade.   If you can respond to this post about Sprint why can't you find out what is going on with this at AT&T.  When you call there no one even understands or has any notes on it.  It is becoming obsolete!!!!!  And with the number of people wanting this app to work as it was initially instituted they should want to listen to the public and work on a fix.  The companion app is not the fix as so many people have told you.  So, is there a fix?  Is something being worked on?   Is the app being re-evaluated?  TELL US SOMETHING!!!!  It has been from September 12, 2013 release of the IPHONE5 and on that the app does not work.  But, it still works on any phone before that!  So, it is now almost 18 months and no fix or update on a fix.    VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!!!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cheech328 wrote:

But at least the accuracy is within a 1 mile radius.  I would take that over "we are unable to locate" any time.  AT&T has yet to respond to any of these people complaining or advising them if there will be a fix. They keep stringing people on and saying with the next update or with the next upgrade.   If you can respond to this post about Sprint why can't you find out what is going on with this at AT&T.  When you call there no one even understands or has any notes on it.  It is becoming obsolete!!!!!  And with the number of people wanting this app to work as it was initially instituted they should want to listen to the public and work on a fix.  The companion app is not the fix as so many people have told you.  So, is there a fix?  Is something being worked on?   Is the app being re-evaluated?  TELL US SOMETHING!!!!  It has been from September 12, 2013 release of the IPHONE5 and on that the app does not work.  But, it still works on any phone before that!  So, it is now almost 18 months and no fix or update on a fix.    VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!!!!

where did you see a 1 mile inaccuracy claim? for all you know it maybe 5 to 10 miles depending on cell tower triangualtion - load the app and it will work. you are aware that locating services can be turned off at the phone right?

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

My sister has the Sprint family locator and has it on her kid's phones.   It is within a one mile radius.  Funny part is I was one of the first people to have the ATT Family Map when it came out in February 2010.  It was the best thing that I have ever used.   I would have text messages sent to me when my kids drove to school and I would have peace of mind knowing they arrived!   It is not a "no trust" factor it is a peace of mind factor knowing that you do not have to call them while driving, etc.   I told everyone about it - all my friends loved it.  My sister had Spring and when the Sprint Family Locator app came out she purchased it.  The Iphone 5 works on the spring family locator.   I am just wanting to know if they plan on correcting it.  When you say the locator can be turned off at the phone are you referring to sprint? because the ATT original app cannot be turned off.  It works even if you turn off the location tracking.  It is the best app ever!!!!!  I will not upgrade the phones because I love the ATT Family Map so everyone here still has the 4S.  It would work with every upgrade up tot he 4S.  If it has something to do with IOS why can't they fix it.  They have had 18 months to figure it out.   No one wants to download the companion app.  We only want an answer - will there be a fix or not.  No one wants to find out and answer the question.  It is very frustrating. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

It is now April 2014. Has AT&T developed a solution that will allow Family Map to work with an iPhone 5? Any update to this thread?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same thing happened to me,my daughter upgraded her iphone to the 5s now I get an error message that says her phone is either turned off or can not locate it. Tried deleting her account and adding it back,her location services is turned on,still getting an error message. Called it in to AT&T an opened a service ticket

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@live1432 wrote:

Same thing happened to me,my daughter upgraded her iphone to the 5s now I get an error message that says her phone is either turned off or can not locate it. Tried deleting her account and adding it back,her location services is turned on,still getting an error message. Called it in to AT&T an opened a service ticket

you have to load a app to get it to work

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@cdgray3 wrote:
It is now April 2014. Has AT&T developed a solution that will allow Family Map to work with an iPhone 5? Any update to this thread?

Ever think that Apple is the cause for needing a app for the phone? Apple has a nasty habit of securing the OS to outside influences and only when they allow it. Look at the MAC OS, it will run on nothing but Apple supplied hardware, and Apple has gone out it's way to shut down the clone manufacturers

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

10 years ago

Any updates on this?  Does the family map app now work on the Iphone 5 without th companion app?  The reason I am asking is because if you now look under supported phones, there is no longer the special wording that said you need the companion app when running the app on Iphone 5.  That wording is now gone.  So did they fix it?  Anyone know?

Mentor

• 

48 Messages

10 years ago

One daughter has an iphone 4.  99 times out of 100, family map will locate her within a mile (terrible...but better than nothing).  1 time out of 100, it will pinpoint her within a few yards.

Another daughter has a 5s.  Family map will work about 1 out of 100 times.  It usually can't find her at all.

Really, really poor performance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.