Get the myAT&T app
Riamia1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012 2:40 PM

Family map not able to locate iPhone 5!!!

Please help!  The family map service is giving a message of "not able to locate" one of the numbers on my plan.. . It is an iphone 5 and we were able to locate this number before the phone/software upgrade.  The phone is on and in clear range.  It seems like a glitch with the new iPhone software.  Is there a fix out there? 

Thanks in advance!

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thank you for the additional feedback, I appreciate it. 

To clarify, I work for AT&T and the team I provided the feedback for is also within AT&T. 

Unfortuantely, I cannot offer any technical expertise as to why the Companion App is necessary. 

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

This problem locating Iphone 5 is now 7 months old.  The ATT companion is not a solution as you have heard from so many people on this community blog.  There are also many people out there that have complained to AT&T.  As I stated in a prior post, I have had the AT&T family map since its inception in 2010.  I do not see what the problem is that the GPS cannot be tracked as in the upgrades from the 3 to the 4 to the 4S.  What is so different about the Iphone 5 that it cannot work correctly with the app, and why doesn't anyone listen to the public that uses it.  It should not take 7 months to correct this problem.  I returned 2 of my kids' Iphone 5s and my friends that utilize the app will not even buy the Iphone 5 for their kids knowing the app doesn't work on it.  If you are the liason between ATT & the Family Map and technical support, please let them know that I am getting the feeling that AT&T could care less if they correct the problem or not.  I do know that I am currently looking into Sprint as the family map locator from Sprint works with Sprint's Iphone 5.  Any one of us who love this app to keep our children safe can just go and sign-up with Sprint and track our children's Iphone 5s with the Sprint Family Locator which works with IPhone 5.  So if Sprint can do it, why can't AT&T!!!!!!!  We do not want to use the companion - you guys are going backwards and seem to care less about what the public wants and needs - 7 MONTHS!!!!!!  This is ridiculous.  There will soon be an IPhone 5S and an IPhone 6 and then what will happen????   You are already behind in fixing this app.  I hate to say it but it is important enough an app to me that I will be switching my 5 Iphones to Sprint if and when I upgrade just to be sure that I can safely locate my children!!!!!! 

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

We certainly understand your frustration. Our teams are evaluating potential solutions, but unfortunately, we don’t have an estimated timeframe when a resolution will be available. In the meantime, AT&T Check-In is the best way to continue using the Family Map service with iPhone 5.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Angry this has not been fixed yet. Poor customer service

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Why am I paying for family map then?? Att check in is free app??? Want a refund for months of service

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Emj767 wrote:
Why am I paying for family map then?? Att check in is free app??? Want a refund for months of service

check in alows you to send your location, it appears to also allow family map to work. if you want to see about a refund  -  I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support@ATTHelpForums is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Just contacted AT&T with the same issue.  If you have had a recent upgrade to an iPhone 5 and their system hasn't registered the new phone, it is still trying to locate the old phone....thus the message "Unable to Locate".  You must give them the iPhone5 IMEI & Sim card numbers.  They will plug that info into their computer system.  Then you have to turn the iPhone 5 off & on......it should then be able to be located.  It seems that a new phone should automatically be registered to your account immediately especially if you buy it directly from an AT&T Store!

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Sam58 wrote:

Just contacted AT&T with the same issue.  If you have had a recent upgrade to an iPhone 5 and their system hasn't registered the new phone, it is still trying to locate the old phone....thus the message "Unable to Locate".  You must give them the iPhone5 IMEI & Sim card numbers.  They will plug that info into their computer system.  Then you have to turn the iPhone 5 off & on......it should then be able to be located.  It seems that a new phone should automatically be registered to your account immediately especially if you buy it directly from an AT&T Store!

Not for the 5

https://familymap.wireless.att.com/finder-att-family/welcome.htm

family map.PNG

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

This is not a fix. As many people have written, we do not want to install the family "check in" companion. Our family will not use the "check in" companion nor will they allow us to install it on their phones. We basically use the family map for peace of mind and for security purposes for our children who would never agree to a "check in companion." Why is this so difficult. When upgrading phones in the past from 3G to 4 to 4S, the Family Map immediately worked upon activation and was based on GPS. How is Iphone 5 any different and how come Sprint's family locator works with Iphone 5.....what is the problem people!!!!!

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

11 years ago

By not fixing this family map ATT is regressing instead of moving forward. If the Iphone 5 and all other Iphones have GPS and can tell you which location you are when navigating in maps, etc. why does the family map app not work. There has to be something else to this that we are not being told. How can it take a highly capable technical support staff 8 months and still not have a solution.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.