Get the myAT&T app
ConThomas's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 8th, 2011 7:09 PM

Does "No Commitment" also mean unlocked?

Hello, I live in Canada but I would like to buy the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T because it's No Commitment pricing is about 200$ cheaper then the No Commitment prices in Canada, and also the 4G edition of the Xperia PLAY hasn't even come to Canada yet. I really would like to know that if I bought the phone in the USA, could I bring it back to Canada and use a SIM card from a Canadian wireless service provider? Thank you for any assistance!

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, this is my first time on these forums)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

12 years ago

@ConThomas wrote:

Hello, I live in Canada but I would like to buy the Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY 4G from AT&T because it's No Commitment pricing is about 200$ cheaper then the No Commitment prices in Canada, and also the 4G edition of the Xperia PLAY hasn't even come to Canada yet. I really would like to know that if I bought the phone in the USA, could I bring it back to Canada and use a SIM card from a Canadian wireless service provider? Thank you for any assistance!

(Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong section, this is my first time on these forums)

AT&T phones are locked. You can go to this post to read about unlocking AT&T phones.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

No Commitment just means you pay full retail, and don't have to commit to a 2-year service contract with AT&T.  It has nothing to do with being unlocked.  All phones sold by AT&T are locked.  And they will only give unlock codes to customers, and only 10 months after the phone is released.

You can go the route of buying an unlock code from eBay, for less than $10.  There may also be a way of unlocking the phone yourself, as is the case with some Android phones.  But I don't know if that is the case with the Xperia Play.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

I think their policy is the same as on GoPhones -- 90 days of service.   

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for the info!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.