For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
folicacid's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 26th, 2013 5:15 AM

Does it cost to receive incoming international calls?

Hi.

I am British and use our carrier o2. They offer a service called International Favourites, which allows me to call the US via a UK number - I assume it uses VOiP. I assumed it would be a domestic US number on the caller ID but my friend says it's an 0044/+44 number. They have a plan on AT&T and I just want to confirm they won't be charged to receive?

Also o2 give me a US number they can call like a domestic one - my friend has unlimited calls - so can you also say if 786-2**-0**1(numbers *'d for security) is a standard domestic number incisive to an unlimited call package?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

Receiving International calls and texts does not charge international rates to the receiver, only the sender. Receiving international calls/texts will simply come out of your allotted minutes/messages bank, the same as a local call does. 

For information on available Internation voice and messaging plans, visit International Packages.

Thank you for your post! 

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You really need to find out from your carrier. They would be the ones to know that info. I know that here in the U.S., that if I get a call from friends in the U.K., I am not charged, but they are charged to call me.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks - I wasn't asking about me though, I explained I was asking if they would be charged to call the 786 number OR to receive a 0044 number call. They do not know, as both are AT&T carrier questions. I.e. the charges would be made to THEIR bill NOT MINE - so can you try really hard and answer my questions as posted, not what you clearly misinterpreted them as?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I did answer your question. If a person from outside the U.S. calls someone with a number here in the U.S., that person is charged for international calling. The person in the U.S. is just billed for minutes used.

If a person from overseas or another country, say Canada or Mexico are using their phone in the U.S., they are charged the rate by their carrier for calling a person in the country they are roaming in, for the International rates, while roaming in a country they are not from. Again, the person they call, that is from the U.S., would just use minutes, due to they are not roaming on a foreign network, or using a foreign carrier's phone on a U.S. network.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

11 years ago

02's virtual US numbers are US numbers for all carrier's purposes. I have a UK SIM with a virtual US number as does my sister. We've never had an issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

How about if the phone number (currently in Mexico) they're calling from is one of my ATT account phone numbers? 

For background, my daughter is temporarily attending school in Mexico. When she calls my ATT number, using my ATT account phone number, I incur roaming charges and other fees.

Is there a program to make these calls from abroad more affordable?

Thanks!

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@vespinoza wrote:

How about if the phone number (currently in Mexico) they're calling from is one of my ATT account phone numbers? 

For background, my daughter is temporarily attending school in Mexico. When she calls my ATT number, using my ATT account phone number, I incur roaming charges and other fees.

Is there a program to make these calls from abroad more affordable?

Thanks!

As already discussed receiving calls from other countries does no incur any additional charges (just get charged the minutes as you would for receiving a domestic call).

The charges you are incurring are on the line/number that your daughter has, initiating the call while abroad.  For which there are high charges (as you have already found out), especially if you have not signed up for any international calling package.  Refer to the following webpage for pricing on international packages.

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?calling

You might also consider your daughter buying a local prepaid SIM and using it on the phone she has (the device will need to be SIM-unlocked, AT&T can supply the code depending on certain terms).  Using a local SIM is typically much cheaper than AT&Ts roaming service.  Only real downside, is that the local SIM will have its own number (people will not be able to call her on the present AT&T number).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I use Smartgroschen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Hi, I have Skype installed on PC, but I use it mainly to talk for free. Otherwise I use the Smartgroschen. They have a small top-up starts from 0.89 Euro, so just enough to use from time to time.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi, I have inlimited calls and texts. I want to know if I am going to be charged for receiving international calls. Thank you
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.