Does it cost to receive international calls?

Highlighted
Contributor

Does it cost to receive international calls?

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I am British and use our carrier o2. They offer a service called International Favourites, which allows me to call the US via a UK number - I assume it uses VOiP. I assumed it would be a domestic US number on the caller ID but my friend says it's an 0044/+44 number. They have a plan on AT&T and I just want to confirm they won't be charged to receive?

Also o2 give me a US number they can call like a domestic one - my friend has unlimited calls - so can you also say if 786-2**-0**1(numbers *'d for security) is a standard domestic number incisive to an unlimited call package?

Message 1 of 14 (100,124 Views)
Professor

Re: Receiving international calls - charges?

You really need to find out from your carrier. They would be the ones to know that info. I know that here in the U.S., that if I get a call from friends in the U.K., I am not charged, but they are charged to call me.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

Thanks - I wasn't asking about me though, I explained I was asking if they would be charged to call the 786 number OR to receive a 0044 number call. They do not know, as both are AT&T carrier questions. I.e. the charges would be made to THEIR bill NOT MINE - so can you try really hard and answer my questions as posted, not what you clearly misinterpreted them as?
Message 3 of 14 (100,060 Views)
Professor

I did answer your question. If a person from outside the U.S. calls someone with a number here in the U.S., that person is charged for international calling. The person in the U.S. is just billed for minutes used.

If a person from overseas or another country, say Canada or Mexico are using their phone in the U.S., they are charged the rate by their carrier for calling a person in the country they are roaming in, for the International rates, while roaming in a country they are not from. Again, the person they call, that is from the U.S., would just use minutes, due to they are not roaming on a foreign network, or using a foreign carrier's phone on a U.S. network.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

02's virtual US numbers are US numbers for all carrier's purposes. I have a UK SIM with a virtual US number as does my sister. We've never had an issue.
Message 5 of 14 (100,021 Views)
Community Support
Solution
Accepted by ATTJulieCS (Community Support)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Does it cost to receive international calls?

Receiving International calls and texts does not charge international rates to the receiver, only the sender. Receiving international calls/texts will simply come out of your allotted minutes/messages bank, the same as a local call does. 

For information on available Internation voice and messaging plans, visit International Packages.

Thank you for your post! 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 14 (99,421 Views)
Contributor

How about if the phone number (currently in Mexico) they're calling from is one of my ATT account phone numbers? 

For background, my daughter is temporarily attending school in Mexico. When she calls my ATT number, using my ATT account phone number, I incur roaming charges and other fees.

Is there a program to make these calls from abroad more affordable?

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14 (93,518 Views)
Professor

vespinoza wrote:

How about if the phone number (currently in Mexico) they're calling from is one of my ATT account phone numbers? 

For background, my daughter is temporarily attending school in Mexico. When she calls my ATT number, using my ATT account phone number, I incur roaming charges and other fees.

Is there a program to make these calls from abroad more affordable?

Thanks!

As already discussed receiving calls from other countries does no incur any additional charges (just get charged the minutes as you would for receiving a domestic call).

The charges you are incurring are on the line/number that your daughter has, initiating the call while abroad.  For which there are high charges (as you have already found out), especially if you have not signed up for any international calling package.  Refer to the following webpage for pricing on international packages.

http://www.att.com/att/global/affordable-world-packages/?calling

You might also consider your daughter buying a local prepaid SIM and using it on the phone she has (the device will need to be SIM-unlocked, AT&T can supply the code depending on certain terms).  Using a local SIM is typically much cheaper than AT&Ts roaming service.  Only real downside, is that the local SIM will have its own number (people will not be able to call her on the present AT&T number).

Message 8 of 14 (93,443 Views)
Contributor

I use Smartgroschen app, simple, good quality of voice and sync with your phone contacts.
Message 9 of 14 (90,021 Views)
Contributor

Hi, I have Skype installed on PC, but I use it mainly to talk for free. Otherwise I use the Smartgroschen. They have a small top-up starts from 0.89 Euro, so just enough to use from time to time.

Message 10 of 14 (85,377 Views)
Contributor

Hi, I have inlimited calls and texts. I want to know if I am going to be charged for receiving international calls. Thank you
Message 11 of 14 (47,905 Views)
ACE - Master

Nancyandrea wrote:
Hi, I have inlimited calls and texts. I want to know if I am going to be charged for receiving international calls. Thank you

If you read the response from JulieCS, incoming international calls & texts go against the minutes/texts in your plan.  On your current unlimited plan, you will not be charged for receiving calls or texts from people in other countries (as long as you, yourself are not in another country).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 14 (47,808 Views)
Contributor

Hi I have a Danish sim I have hundreds of free talk time would like to use it to call the UK it says I can call landlines or mobiles, if I do will they be charged to receive my call ?
Message 13 of 14 (26,063 Views)
ACE - Master

@Weebarney, that is not a question ATT can answer. Whether or not UK call recipients get charged depends on their phone carrier. If you call an ATT wireless customer who happens to be in the UK, yes they will pay international rates.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 14 (26,046 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.