Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 30, 2010
9:32:20 PM
Does it cost me to receive international calls?

I have a friend living in the United Arab Emirates who wants to call me directly from his cell phone.  My AT&T Motorola razor phone is part of a family/business phone plan here in the U.S.A. that is not in my name, so I never see the bill.  I hae a large bucket of free minutes per month nationwde.  Will it cost me anything beyond those monthly bucket of free nationwide minutes to receive a phone call directly from my friend's cell phone from the United Arab Emirates while I'm still in the U.S. with my U.S. based AT&T phone (without roaming on my part)?  Is the answer the same with all AT&T wireless /cell phone plans or just certain ones?  I read a post on here back from 2008 that says that all received calls in the U.S. (not roaming out of the U.S.) on AT&T phones based in the U.S. from anywhere are treated the same, but I want to make sure that this is still true in 2010.  Should I ask my friend to use a prepaid calling card to avoid extra fees on my end, or would that even made a difference for me on my end?  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. Smiley Happy

I have a friend living in the United Arab Emirates who wants to call me directly from his cell phone.  My AT&T Motorola razor phone is part of a family/business phone plan here in the U.S.A. that is not in my name, so I never see the bill.  I hae a large bucket of free minutes per month nationwde.  Will it cost me anything beyond those monthly bucket of free nationwide minutes to receive a phone call directly from my friend's cell phone from the United Arab Emirates while I'm still in the U.S. with my U.S. based AT&T phone (without roaming on my part)?  Is the answer the same with all AT&T wireless /cell phone plans or just certain ones?  I read a post on here back from 2008 that says that all received calls in the U.S. (not roaming out of the U.S.) on AT&T phones based in the U.S. from anywhere are treated the same, but I want to make sure that this is still true in 2010.  Should I ask my friend to use a prepaid calling card to avoid extra fees on my end, or would that even made a difference for me on my end?  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. Smiley Happy

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 10, 2012 8:01:49 PM
(1)
Expert
Unfortunately the rep was wrong, incoming calls no matter where they are from are treated a domestic and applied to day time or night time or weekend calling, the only time a incoming call would be charged is if you go over your plan minutes and if you are on a unlimited plan then there is no charge.
Accepted Solution

Does it cost me to receive international calls?

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 1, 2010 10:15:16 AM
(1)
Guru

Only the outgoing international calls are charged the international fee. If you receive calls from the outside then it will only use the minutes of your plan.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Only the outgoing international calls are charged the international fee. If you receive calls from the outside then it will only use the minutes of your plan.

Re: Does it cost me to receive international calls?

2 of 21 (224,981 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 10:39:08 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Smiley Happy I would also like to know whether international texting is similar in that only outgoing international text messages are charged the international texting fee, but incoming texts from overseas will only use the texts of my texting plan.  Is that true?  Again thanks for your assistance.

Thanks a bunch for your reply. Smiley Happy I would also like to know whether international texting is similar in that only outgoing international text messages are charged the international texting fee, but incoming texts from overseas will only use the texts of my texting plan.  Is that true?  Again thanks for your assistance.

3 of 21 (224,981 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 1, 2010 10:56:34 AM
(0)
Guru

Yes, it's the same. You only get charged for outgoing messages, $0.25 for SMS and $0.50 for MMS. Incoming messages are charged as a regular pay per use SMS or MMS or it's discounted from your messaging feature if you have one in your line.

You can also add a 100 international outgoing messaging feature for $10.00 that includes SMS and MMS.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Yes, it's the same. You only get charged for outgoing messages, $0.25 for SMS and $0.50 for MMS. Incoming messages are charged as a regular pay per use SMS or MMS or it's discounted from your messaging feature if you have one in your line.

You can also add a 100 international outgoing messaging feature for $10.00 that includes SMS and MMS.

4 of 21 (224,969 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 6:22:43 PM
(0)
Guru
I used to live in the UAE and get calls from there all the time. I have never been surcharged.
I used to live in the UAE and get calls from there all the time. I have never been surcharged.

5 of 21 (224,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 9:18:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

What about the opposite? If someone in the US calls me and I am in a different country receiving that call, what happens?

What about the opposite? If someone in the US calls me and I am in a different country receiving that call, what happens?

6 of 21 (223,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2011 1:07:03 PM
(0)
Guru

ezalocusky wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp

If you're roaming internationally, then all calls, regardless of source or destination, are billed based on the international roaming rates, which depend on your location and whether you have a World Traveler feature on your line.

ezalocusky wrote:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/faq.jsp

If you're roaming internationally, then all calls, regardless of source or destination, are billed based on the international roaming rates, which depend on your location and whether you have a World Traveler feature on your line.

7 of 21 (223,140 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 4:34:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

What if you have unlimited texting with AT&T?  Do you pay for texting to Afghanistan?

What if you have unlimited texting with AT&T?  Do you pay for texting to Afghanistan?

8 of 21 (220,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 4:58:02 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by DWC1 on Jul 19, 2011 at 4:58:53 PM

Debbiec75 wrote:

International texting is not included.  Received texts are no extra charges but sending will cost.

Debbiec75 wrote:

International texting is not included.  Received texts are no extra charges but sending will cost.

[ Edited ]
9 of 21 (220,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2011 7:48:05 PM
(0)
Guru

Does your friend in Afghanistan have a smartphone and do you?  I use Whatsapp to message with my friends abroad.  It is just like texting but only uses a few bytes of data.  It supports Blackberry, Nokia (Symbian), iPhone, and Android. 

Does your friend in Afghanistan have a smartphone and do you?  I use Whatsapp to message with my friends abroad.  It is just like texting but only uses a few bytes of data.  It supports Blackberry, Nokia (Symbian), iPhone, and Android. 

10 of 21 (220,343 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 28, 2011 9:01:12 AM
(0)
Contributor

how much does it cost for international texting?

how much does it cost for international texting?

11 of 21 (205,978 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2011 8:11:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T offers an international texting plan for a flat fee (can't remember if it's 10 or $20...) with that you get 100 international outgoing texts. My problem is that I go way over the 100 limit and then I get charged per text. I tried to increase my plan to 200 and AT&T doesn't offer it. Anyone managed to get around this? I have an iphone 4 so maybe a free texting app or something? How can we get AT&T to offer unlimited international texting plans?

AT&T offers an international texting plan for a flat fee (can't remember if it's 10 or $20...) with that you get 100 international outgoing texts. My problem is that I go way over the 100 limit and then I get charged per text. I tried to increase my plan to 200 and AT&T doesn't offer it. Anyone managed to get around this? I have an iphone 4 so maybe a free texting app or something? How can we get AT&T to offer unlimited international texting plans?

12 of 21 (205,514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2012 11:54:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

when calls are received from abroad, i'm aware that minutes will just be deducted and not charges are made correct? ..

but will those deducted minutes show on the bill?

when calls are received from abroad, i'm aware that minutes will just be deducted and not charges are made correct? ..

international calls on the bill

13 of 21 (204,776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 8:07:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by dmapr on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:09:18 AM

epipa wrote:

Yes, these will show up in the same voice call details section as everything else. The calls are listed chronologically.

epipa wrote:

Yes, these will show up in the same voice call details section as everything else. The calls are listed chronologically.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: international calls on the bill

[ Edited ]
14 of 21 (204,624 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2012 12:23:35 PM
(0)
Guru

I wouldn't count of that happening, especially with the proliferation of things like iMessage and WhatsApp. AT&T doesn't really have any incentive to offer an unlimited international texting plan, since the people who would use such a plan are the types who would use it to the point where it wouldn't be profitable for AT&T. 

DeeReynolds wrote:

I wouldn't count of that happening, especially with the proliferation of things like iMessage and WhatsApp. AT&T doesn't really have any incentive to offer an unlimited international texting plan, since the people who would use such a plan are the types who would use it to the point where it wouldn't be profitable for AT&T. 

DeeReynolds wrote:

15 of 21 (204,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2012 9:53:23 AM
(0)
Contributor
so if i want to receive an international call from taiwan or china then it won't cost me extra international fees and deduct minutes from my current plan? also, it won't matter how long the call is right?
so if i want to receive an international call from taiwan or china then it won't cost me extra international fees and deduct minutes from my current plan? also, it won't matter how long the call is right?

16 of 21 (191,187 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2012 5:13:20 PM
(0)
Expert
That is correct, it will be treated as a normal local incoming call for you.
That is correct, it will be treated as a normal local incoming call for you.

17 of 21 (191,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2012 5:03:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got off the phone with At&t wireless customer service and I was told that any international call that I receive will be charged to my account at an international rate. They told me "you can see that this is international incoming call on caller ID, so you have a choice not to pick up. But once you pick up, you will be paying our international rate." So be careful and double-check with AT&T before accepting international calls. I got charged, for example (that is why I am on this forum and why I called At&t).

The only instance when you won't get charged is if someone sends you an international SMS - then you have no choice to decline receiving it.

I just got off the phone with At&t wireless customer service and I was told that any international call that I receive will be charged to my account at an international rate. They told me "you can see that this is international incoming call on caller ID, so you have a choice not to pick up. But once you pick up, you will be paying our international rate." So be careful and double-check with AT&T before accepting international calls. I got charged, for example (that is why I am on this forum and why I called At&t).

The only instance when you won't get charged is if someone sends you an international SMS - then you have no choice to decline receiving it.

18 of 21 (183,454 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 10, 2012 8:01:49 PM
(1)
Expert
Unfortunately the rep was wrong, incoming calls no matter where they are from are treated a domestic and applied to day time or night time or weekend calling, the only time a incoming call would be charged is if you go over your plan minutes and if you are on a unlimited plan then there is no charge.

19 of 21 (183,178 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2014 7:31:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

Is this still true?

Thanks!

Is this still true?

Thanks!

20 of 21 (63,945 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 9, 2014 3:52:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just called AT&T and after 15 minutes of jumping through customer service hoops I learned that I pay $2.50 per minute to receive calls from abroad (United Kingdom, specifically). I have a normal unlimited talk plan.

Let's let that sink in a little. I pay $2.50 PER MINUTE when I am RECEIVING a call from anywhere that is not the United States.

Does this strike anyone else as absolutely absurd? I've lived in a lot of places in the world and as far as I know, this kind of telecommunication practice is unheard of anywhere else on the planet. Yes, I understand I can purchase a separate international plan to reduce international rates, but how can AT&T expect me to pay when a call that I am not placing?

I just called AT&T and after 15 minutes of jumping through customer service hoops I learned that I pay $2.50 per minute to receive calls from abroad (United Kingdom, specifically). I have a normal unlimited talk plan.

Let's let that sink in a little. I pay $2.50 PER MINUTE when I am RECEIVING a call from anywhere that is not the United States.

Does this strike anyone else as absolutely absurd? I've lived in a lot of places in the world and as far as I know, this kind of telecommunication practice is unheard of anywhere else on the planet. Yes, I understand I can purchase a separate international plan to reduce international rates, but how can AT&T expect me to pay when a call that I am not placing?

21 of 21 (53,402 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments