For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
language_learner_lu's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, October 1st, 2010 4:32 AM

Do I get charged if I answer an international call?

I have a friend living in the United Arab Emirates who wants to call me directly from his cell phone.  My AT&T Motorola razor phone is part of a family/business phone plan here in the U.S.A. that is not in my name, so I never see the bill.  I hae a large bucket of free minutes per month nationwde.  Will it cost me anything beyond those monthly bucket of free nationwide minutes to receive a phone call directly from my friend's cell phone from the United Arab Emirates while I'm still in the U.S. with my U.S. based AT&T phone (without roaming on my part)?  Is the answer the same with all AT&T wireless /cell phone plans or just certain ones?  I read a post on here back from 2008 that says that all received calls in the U.S. (not roaming out of the U.S.) on AT&T phones based in the U.S. from anywhere are treated the same, but I want to make sure that this is still true in 2010.  Should I ask my friend to use a prepaid calling card to avoid extra fees on my end, or would that even made a difference for me on my end?  Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks. 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

how much does it cost for international texting?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

AT&T offers an international texting plan for a flat fee (can't remember if it's 10 or $20...) with that you get 100 international outgoing texts. My problem is that I go way over the 100 limit and then I get charged per text. I tried to increase my plan to 200 and AT&T doesn't offer it. Anyone managed to get around this? I have an iphone 4 so maybe a free texting app or something? How can we get AT&T to offer unlimited international texting plans?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

when calls are received from abroad, i'm aware that minutes will just be deducted and not charges are made correct? ..

but will those deducted minutes show on the bill?

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

12 years ago

@epipa wrote:

when calls are received from abroad, i'm aware that minutes will just be deducted and not charges are made correct? ..

but will those deducted minutes show on the bill?

Yes, these will show up in the same voice call details section as everything else. The calls are listed chronologically.

Guru

• 

682 Messages

12 years ago

I wouldn't count of that happening, especially with the proliferation of things like iMessage and WhatsApp. AT&T doesn't really have any incentive to offer an unlimited international texting plan, since the people who would use such a plan are the types who would use it to the point where it wouldn't be profitable for AT&T. 

@DeeReynolds wrote:

AT&T offers an international texting plan for a flat fee (can't remember if it's 10 or $20...) with that you get 100 international outgoing texts. My problem is that I go way over the 100 limit and then I get charged per text. I tried to increase my plan to 200 and AT&T doesn't offer it. Anyone managed to get around this? I have an iphone 4 so maybe a free texting app or something? How can we get AT&T to offer unlimited international texting plans?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

so if i want to receive an international call from taiwan or china then it won't cost me extra international fees and deduct minutes from my current plan? also, it won't matter how long the call is right?

Expert

• 

13K Messages

12 years ago

That is correct, it will be treated as a normal local incoming call for you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just got off the phone with At&t wireless customer service and I was told that any international call that I receive will be charged to my account at an international rate. They told me "you can see that this is international incoming call on caller ID, so you have a choice not to pick up. But once you pick up, you will be paying our international rate." So be careful and double-check with AT&T before accepting international calls. I got charged, for example (that is why I am on this forum and why I called At&t).

The only instance when you won't get charged is if someone sends you an international SMS - then you have no choice to decline receiving it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Is this still true?

Thanks!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I just called AT&T and after 15 minutes of jumping through customer service hoops I learned that I pay $2.50 per minute to receive calls from abroad (United Kingdom, specifically). I have a normal unlimited talk plan.

Let's let that sink in a little. I pay $2.50 PER MINUTE when I am RECEIVING a call from anywhere that is not the United States.

Does this strike anyone else as absolutely absurd? I've lived in a lot of places in the world and as far as I know, this kind of telecommunication practice is unheard of anywhere else on the planet. Yes, I understand I can purchase a separate international plan to reduce international rates, but how can AT&T expect me to pay when a call that I am not placing?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.