Get the myAT&T app
Saguuk84's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 17th, 2016 7:19 PM

Declining deductibles

Hi - we have been using Mobile Insurance for 6 Plus for 16 months now, and the charge is still $7.99 per month. We haven't filed any claim ever / in all the advertisements you say that after 6 months claim free, bill goes down by 25 % and after 12 months claim free, bill goes down by 50%. Is it just a marketing gimmick to lure new customers??

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's the deductible, not the premium. The deductible is what you pay when you file a claim. Not the monthly charge.

Employee

• 

20 Messages

8 years ago

It's declining DEDUCTIBLE, not declining PREMIUM. $7.99 is the premium, or cost, for the insurance. A deductible is what you pay when you make a claim, just like car or homeowner's insurance. From https://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/features/mobileinsurance-sku1040075.html "A non-refundable deductible will be charged for each approved claim. Continuously enrolled customers who go claim free for 6-12 consecutive months save 25% off the standard deductible; and at 12 consecutive months or more save 50% off the standard deductible."

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

My boyfriend and I have a plan and we both pay the $7.99 a month for the insurance. His phone recently stopped charging and we got a discount on his phone deductible because we've been with Att for 7 years and have never used the insurance. Now I'm trying to use the insurance for my phone, which is also damaged (we both have iPhone 6) and they're trying to charge me $225. Is the deductible discount per line or per account?? Thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@Jaimecam wrote:
My boyfriend and I have a plan and we both pay the $7.99 a month for the insurance. His phone recently stopped charging and we got a discount on his phone deductible because we've been with Att for 7 years and have never used the insurance. Now I'm trying to use the insurance for my phone, which is also damaged (we both have iPhone 6) and they're trying to charge me $225. Is the deductible discount per line or per account?? Thank you!

It's going to be per line. Some people only insure one phone.

It should be how long you're into insurance on this phone.  

(I don't think it has anything to do with how long you've been with them over multiple phones)

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L

@Jaimecam

The deductible is effected by previous claims.  Say a customer is over 12 months on 2 phones.  phone in line 1 is lost and is replaced with a $99 deductible.   A month later the phone on line 2 is totally destroyed.  The deductible is back up to $225.  Because this is the second claim in a 12 month period the insurance is also canceled.  

Now you see why I don't use insurance ?   

Asurion has an effective monopoly.  The only thing that makes it legal, is we are NEVER require to have insurance, or we can use a 3rd party like square trade.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 I understand that, but they said

His phone recently stopped charging and we got a discount on his phone deductible because we've been with Att for 7 years and have never used the insurance.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Yes.  We know they got the $99 deductible because it's been 12 months or more with no claim, not because they have been paying for 7 years.  (I can hear a syrupy rep gushing about how 7 years of loyalty reduces the deductible.  Gag)

Her claim is so close to his they are getting screwed over with a full cost deductible.  Even if her phone has been claim free for over a year.   And now they will cancel coverage.  

Lets see, 2 lines for 7 years at $7 each month

(7 x 12) x 2 = 168   168 x $7 = $1,176. Plus $99, plus $225 = $1,500.  

So if the OP had saved the $7 each month for 7 years, and the deductibles,  they would have $1,500 to buy new phones.  

In 20 years we lost a tracfone, a puppy chewed a feature phone and my son broke his iPhone 5s

I didn't spend $5000-$7000 just in premiums by not having insurance.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.