Get the myAT&T app
stufried's profile

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 1:18 AM

Data Usage on Blackberry International

I can't find the megabyte usage allowed on the Blackberry International plans outside the US.  I'm currently on PDA International and love my Nokia E71, but I will be visiting several countries this year not on the PDA International list and the BB is tempting.  From what I'm reading, on device data is included beyond e-mail.  Is this correct.  I'm not a data pig, but I get voicemail files as wav files in my e-mail, I get a number of efaxes as PDFes, and I'd like the option to IM and google map on my device.  One of these countries is the UAE which is in their premium rate for data services on their standard PDA plans. 

I had Blackberry International a couple of years ago and when I cancelled, they tried to talk me out of it pointing out that the new version of the plan stating that you were limited to 20 megs a month on the new version of the plan. Going through the fine print, I'm not seeing this.  

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

I have never seen a limit published but I'm sure they will apply a resonable and customary standard before they ding you for excessive use.  The BB Int'l plan includes all data on the device except tethering.  Unlike T-Mobile & Verizon the big catch is that a 12 month commitment is mandatory.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

15 years ago

TMobile doesn't include non-email data in their equivalent.  Unofficially they don't seem to charge for the usage, but the problem with tacit understandings (particularly in financially trying times) is that you are left without a parachute if they enforce their agreement as written.  My family has a family plan with TMobile, but I am on my own with ATT.  I have a backup SIM with TMobile and have thought about adding Blackberry to it.  Unfortunately, I am sort of in the "paralysis through analysis" mode at the moment.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

The trick with the Tmobile Blackberry is to make sure that it's on a BES.  With all traffic routed via the BES there is never a charge for extra data.  With AT&T on the other hand all data is included and it is a safer bet for sure.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

When I joined AT&T (from Verizon), AT&T was offering a nice international plan that you could use as need. I was very happy to see that, since I travel overseas 2-3 times a year for 1 or 2 weeks. Now that I tried to use this option, I am told that you have to subscribe for a year. That really sucks! I thought AT&T wasn't Verizon. I guess I was wrong.

Master

• 

2.4K Messages

15 years ago

Have you check to see if any of the bolt on data packages with a specified number of MB will work in the countries you need to travel to?  These can be added and removed without any commitment.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Thank you for your reply. What would those add-ons be called?

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

15 years ago

Data Global Add-on:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp#7

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.