Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Could someone explain how the insurance works?

Highlighted

Could someone explain how the insurance works?

I do not have a question but rather I have a gripe to air. AT&T 's Mobile Ins statement gives one the impression paying a monthly premium of $8.99 is going cover the cost of replacing a lost or damaged phone with a new phone. This is not true. I had an IPhone 5S that was bought on AT&T Next program in July 2015. The screen went black in Feb 2017 after 17 months. It had never been dropped or been in any water. It was diagnosed as a motherboard failure. I had paid for the Mobile Ins pkg from day 1 of purchase.; back then it was $7.99/ mo. I found out I would have had to pay a deductible plus some other fees & it was cheaper for me to buy another brand new 5S than use my insurance. So I canceled my insurance. It is a rip off!!!

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Expert

Re: Why is AT&T Mobile Insurance Missleading?

@380Barrenwood wrote:
I do not have a question but rather I have a gripe to air. AT&T 's Mobile Ins statement gives one the impression paying a monthly premium of $8.99 is going cover the cost of replacing a lost or damaged phone with a new phone.

Where does it say that you get a new phone??  (or imply that?)

• This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...
  • Sometimes information I provide may not be specifically for you, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
    The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, it's particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post).
  • *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Message 2 of 3
    ACE - Sage
    Solution
    Accepted by topic author
    Accepted by 380Barrenwood
    ‎05-16-2017 1:37 PM

Re: Why is AT&T Mobile Insurance Missleading?

First, ATT does not insure your phone, Asurion does.  Asurion is the company that covers insurance for all US carriers.  

The only insurance without a deductible is life insurance.  

The deductible after 17 months would have been $113 because of the declining deductible.  

Your phone would be replaced with an identicle model if available, or the closest possible, which might be a newer model.  

I dont use insurance, but I understand the risk.  If you use Next installments to buy an $850 phone and it's lost stolen or destroyed a month later, you still owe $850 and now have no phone.  I don't use installments, I pay full price.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Tags (1)
    Message 3 of 3
    Share this topic
    Share this topic
    Additional Support