Get the myAT&T app
Person1738's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 25th, 2017 3:41 PM

Conflicting answers for International Day Pass fees.

I got conflicting answers from three different AT&T customer service regarding additional fees while under the International Day Pass (IDP). I'm getting a variety of answers and the FAQs on the company website are not clear.

Which one is right? Does the IDP cover all individuals (US numbers in the US and French numbers in France) connecting with me? Will they incur extra fees connecting with me while I am abroad? Or, does it only prevent my account from incurring additional fees?

Question asked:

I have a US number. While I am in France, I can call, text, and use data back and forth between US and French numbers with anyone (inbound or outbound) without either party incurring additional fees (outside my daily $10)?

Online Chat 1 Agent:

- Under IDP, my account will be treated just like a US number while abroad.

- An individual in the US will NOT incur any international fees while they call or text me since they are connecting with a US number.

- A French number WILL incur international fees from their provider (unless they have a covered plan) if they call or text me and vice versa.

Online Chat 2 Agent:

Agent: That is correct. Either party will not incur any fees. Each party and scenario is covered under the IDP.

Phone Call Agent:

- Only my AT&T plan will be covered while under the IDP. My account will not be charged additional fees (outside daily $10) for call, text, or data inbound or outbound.

- If an individual calls or texts (US or French number) my number, that party will incur international fees from their provider unless they have an international plan.

- If I INITIATE the call, the receiving party will not incur international fees from their provider. However, texts will be charged unless they have an international plan.

- Essentially, the IDP only covers my account from incurring any additional fees. The other US or French number will be charged their normal international rates per provider policy.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Online chat 1 agent was correct. Anyone calling or texting you is treated the same as if you were still in the US. So for anyone in the US, no additional fees. They are just calling or texting another US number. For anyone in France, again they are calling or texting a US number. Whether or not there are additional charges depends on their provider.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Person1738 $10 a day PER LINE.

Allows you to text/call/data in the country just as if you were using your plan in the US.

You can also call and text to numbers local to the country you are in and the US.

Does the IDP cover all parties from incurring extra fees while abroad? Or, does it only cover my account?

It only covers EACH LINE that you pay $10 a day for. 

This plan has NOTHING to preventing charges that may result on the people that you are calling.

(I'm not 100% certain what you are defining as "parties" and "account")

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

The day pass is per line, just like passport, you have to add it to each line used while traveling.

The online information is more complete.  Give it a read and holler back if it doesn't cover your questions.  It might help others if the info needs some tweeking 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1175103

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for answers. I understand only MY line is covered from additional fees.

However, what about the individual in the US or France that is not under the IDP?

If a US number calls me from the US, will that person be charged international fees? What if I call that US number? 

If a French number calls me from France, will that person be charged international fees? What if I call that French number? 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

The first agent was correct, the others had wrong information.  Shocking.  

Customers now make 3 calls as a routine because they get different answers each time.

This has become a regular complaint.  It shouldn't happen.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I spoke with another Online Chat Agent to re-affirm the solution. Yes, my number will be treated just like a US number, thus anyone from the US will not incur extra fees because they will be connecting with a domestic number. However, anyone in France connecting with me through call or SMS will be regulated by their French provider's policies.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Person1738  

The reason I take no comfort in that, is you could easily have had confirmation of one of the wrong answers.  ATT reps have cheat sheets with all the information, and can find the same link I found.  

If the information isn't clear to the rep, then he or she should ask for clarification.  If needed the information needs to be fixed so there is no confusion.  

In short, ATT needs to hire a new writer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.