Get the myAT&T app
MoparMan06's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, March 12th, 2016 2:52 AM

Closed

Canadian Roaming

I’m going to be going to Canada in the summer, and was just wondering about roaming in Canada.  More specifically, why do the prepaid gophone plans (at least the $60/month one) include Canadian roaming, but none of the regular postpaid plans (i.e. any mobile share plans, no matter the price) include it? Why do I have to pay for one of the Passport plans, while someone with a cheaper gophone account can use their normal data/messages/minutes? Does anyone know if AT&T has any plans to add Canadian roaming to the mobile share plans anytime in the near future, or at least make a cheaper Canadian passport plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T is now offering a Canada Roaming Bonus much like the Mexico Roaming Bonus. It offers, like the Mexico package, unlimited voice/text while in Canada and 1 GB of data per month. The kicker is it you have to call the AT&T Rententions department to have it added to each line. The regular first line Customer Service Reps can not add it to your line(s). I know its available to Mobile Share Value Plan members. Not sure about other customers.

Make sure to add the $0 cost International Roaming to your plan at the same time.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you very much.  I just called and got it added on.  I logged on to my account while I was on the line, and I see AT&T Canada Roaming Bonus under my features.  I’m curious as to why it’s apparently a secret, maybe it’s just a trial run for now.  But it should work perfectly for me; I’m only going to be there for a long weekend, so 1 GB should be fine.

@SoonerAl wrote:

AT&T is now offering a Canada Roaming Bonus much like the Mexico Roaming Bonus. It offers, like the Mexico package, unlimited voice/text while in Canada and 1 GB of data per month. The kicker is it you have to call the AT&T Rententions department to have it added to each line. The regular first line Customer Service Reps can not add it to your line(s). I know its available to Mobile Share Value Plan members. Not sure about other customers.

Make sure to add the $0 cost International Roaming to your plan at the same time.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

Both the Mexico and Canada roaming are new.  Canada was added in February, Mexico just a short time before.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

It took two attempts to get the Canada Roaming Bonus added to my account.  The first AT&T rep. told me that there isn't a Canadian option available.  The second agent I spoke with discovered that the Mexico Roaming Bonus has to be added first, after which the Canada Roaming Bonus option becomes available.  Also, don't forget to have the Bonus(s) added to each phone on the account.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I tried with Customer Service and got no where. I asked to be transfered to the ATT Retention Dept and they did it NO problem.  The only way to get to the ATT Retention Dept is thru Customer Service.  Customer Service will only transfer you .. they will not give a number for the Retention Dept.  Yup $0 cost vs. the $30 per month the Customer Service Rep told me was my only option.

Love this community!  Thank you all.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

I called 611 and when the automated voice told me to say what I needed, I replied "retentions department". I was connected straight to retentions and didn't have to bother with any of the regular CSRs. But you are right, retentions is the ONLY one's who can do it.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, this is very odd, I am coming back to AT&T, we had horrible rural reception with T-Mobile (most freeways too, outside of the Seattle-Metro area), used up all my roaming in a couple of days, bad experience.

The good news is, 2 chat sessions, 6 phone calls (part to retention, part to CS, one to sales-useless) later, we have the Canada data plan now, on each of our families lines.

This is possible, but non-trivial, and for me at least, VERY time-consuming...

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

I went straight to retentions and had it done in 15 minutes on two lines.

For anyone contemplating the Canadian Roaming Bonus, don't even fool around with chat or CS; not only can they not add it to your account, most don't even know what you are talking about.  It seems to be something that only retentions has the ability to add.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Yeah, 110% on what Bustermutt said.

I think it depends, when I left AT&T, they had this promotion, and retentions said I wasn't eligible.

When I came back, the retentions person I talked to said I had been and was perfectly eligible, she didn't understand the notes on my account from when I left.  She had her manager (in retentions) double-check it, and he was perplexed as well.  So, I guess the gist is, if at first you don't succeed, try another retentions agent...

Interestingly, my last CS person I talked to (the retentions person failed to add it to all lines, even after he read them back to me) knew about it, could see the code on one line, and tried, and tried to get their manager to do it, but couldn't.  Apparently it's trickling down.  Hopefully it'll just become the norm, like the Mexico deal...

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

@pgrey wrote:

Yeah, 110% on what Bustermutt said.

I think it depends, when I left AT&T, they had this promotion, and retentions said I wasn't eligible.

When I came back, the retentions person I talked to said I had been and was perfectly eligible, she didn't understand the notes on my account from when I left.  She had her manager (in retentions) double-check it, and he was perplexed as well.  So, I guess the gist is, if at first you don't succeed, try another retentions agent...

Interestingly, my last CS person I talked to (the retentions person failed to add it to all lines, even after he read them back to me) knew about it, could see the code on one line, and tried, and tried to get their manager to do it, but couldn't.  Apparently it's trickling down.  Hopefully it'll just become the norm, like the Mexico deal...

The requirements for the Mexico plan used to be data plans of 15 GBs or more.  They have stopped requiring a minimum data package.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.