Get the myAT&T app
DeArkhart's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, September 11th, 2016 9:23 PM

Canada

I'm going out of the country for the 1st time and have unanswered questions about my phone/service. Will it work outside of the US, do I have to change settings, and will it be expensive ? Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

Hello @DeArkhart and welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!

I am happy for your first planned trip ut of the country! I hope you have a blast!

I can certainly help you with AT&T International package options and requirements.

If you are on a postpaid account, and are already enjoying of the AT&T Unlimited Data plan, I am happy to inform you it also includes roaming service in Canada at no extra charge!

If you are on a postpaid account, your account may be eligible for the PASSPORT series of international service packages. Watch the following video:

Screen Shot 2016-09-11 at 5.47.46 PM.png
Visit THIS link, and scroll down to the "DETAILED INFORMATION / AT&T Passport packages overview" section

To add any of the Passport packages, visit http://att.com/MyATTapp

Once you log in and gain access to your postpaid account details:

1) Tap on Continue to account details.

2) Tap on My plans, devices & features.

3) Tap on the wireless line you are bringing with you to Canada.

4) Tap on International

5) Tap on Travel outside the U.S.

6) Tap on Another Country

7) Tap on Short trip (1-30 days) or Long / many trips (31+ days) depending on the length of your trip.

😎 Select between Passport, Pasport Silver or Passport Gold

9) Tap on Select & Review

10) Input the date it will become effective. (With the Long / many trips option, make sure to scroll down and read everything.

11) Tap on Select, and a notification will show up with the subscription of the Passport service as requested!

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you @ML0815 for the prompt response. I'll be gone less than a week and rarely make phone call. Since I'm still on the unlimited data plan I think I'm set for my trip!

Guru

• 

408 Messages

8 years ago

@DeArkhart that is great news! As an added bonus, I would like to provide you with AT&T's Support for travel abroad. It is the AT&T's International Customer Service department for any issues you may encounter while on an international destination, and it is available 24/7, and free of charge from your smartphone: +1.916.843.4685 Save it to your contacts!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@DeArkhart Just an FYI, the free Canada roaming is on the new unlimited data plan, not the grandfathered unlimited data plan. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Oh shoot, thx for the heads up @sandblaster . I'm on the grandfathered unlimited which I doubt I'll ever give up. Any advice? Was thinking of turning roaming off and only using data on wi-fi while I'm there but don't know if I have to be that extreme.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@DeArkhart Yes, that's a good plan. As long as you leave data roaming off and stick to wifi for data, you won't incur any charges unless you make calls or send texts ( any texts you receive are free). 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is very disappointing.  Verizon charges $2/day to use their existing plan's minutes/data in Canada.  If I were only in Canada for the weekend (I live in MI), I have to pay at least $40 and get minimal data usage and charged an additional $1/min for talking in on the phone.

Not even a comparison in service offerings.  Sigh. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I have the $45/month Gophone plan, and I have used my Gophone while in Canada several times this year (most recently in early July) to send and receive text messages to Canadian numbers. However I was in Canada last weekend and I found that my Gophone could send but NOT receive text messages. As a result I was unable to meet up with my friends - and I am irate, as it used to work fine and I depended on my Gophone to communicate with my friends.

What has changed, and why didn't AT&T notify their customers????

BTW, phone service in Canada is provided by Rogers

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@jvliet Nothing has changed. The $45 GoPhone plan has never included roaming in Canada. If it worked, it shouldn't have. In fact with that plan you shouldn't even get service.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster, thanks for your reply. If you will refer to "International Roaming for GoPhone Customers" at www.att.com/gointl  you will see 'GoPhone roaming rates in Mexico and Canada for those not on the $60 monthly plan' - that's what I used to get on my previous trips to Canada - in other words I was charged $0.25 to send a text message and $0.20 to receive a text message. On my recent trip last weekend - all incoming text messages were blocked and I wasn't given the option to pay to receive or send. When I crossed the border back into the USA, over 20 queued messages suddenly came in.... this is why I think something has changed - perhaps Rogers has changed their policy on service to AT&T customers?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.