Get the myAT&T app
benjaminbaskett's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, March 6th, 2011 1:41 AM

Can my parents moniter my text messages with smart limits?

I just recieved my Iphone 3GS today. I am very happy i have it be i adore privacy. Yes, it is a modern invention, but i enjoy it. Can they monitor my usage or just limit?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

They can monitor (with and without Smart Limits) who you are messaging with (phone number, date and time) but not the contents of the message.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I'm sure there are many people who would hate the idea of such a feature, but for parents who pay the bill with kids whose texting conversations may offer insight into some of the details of their lives they are't exactly forthcoming about, i think it would be great to have all of his text messages (in and out) pass through my phone as well. I've been keeping tabs on numbers and times, but content is golden. I'd be willing to bet that other providers offer this feature. anyone? what are your thoughts? I'm no "big brother" fan, and i understand that an open dialogue with your children is key, but lets face it, not all of us are as fortunate as that. This could well be a matter of safety - even life or death. What are your thoughts on this?

Bonnie

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I completely agree Bonnie. I would check her texts every now and then but I'm sure the ones that were deleted were worse than the ones I saw! It would be beneficial since we can't tell WHO they are speaking with by the phone number. My daughter is 13 and it scares me that she was talking to strange "boys" it would also be great to be able to control the Smart Limits with an iPhone app or something.

Kirsten

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I also wish all text messages sent and received were allowed to pass through my phone, then I could see what this girl is saying to my 14 yo son that he is so upset about, he want talk to us about it, but will text his friends which just blows my mind!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I AGREE! A GREAT DEAL OF THINGS COULD EASILY BE AVOIDED WITH THAT TOOL. THE WORLD IS MORE DANGEROUS AND PARENTS ARE LESS EQUIPPED! A APP LIKE THAT WOULD HELP TO LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD! THERE IS NO PRIVACY WHEN IT COMES TO KEEPING MY KIDS SAFE!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I know you're concerned about what your child is sending and recieving over text, but me, being a 13 year old girl myself, with her own phone, disagrees. I know you're thinking it's obvious I would disagree with this. But, my parents do check my phone occasionally, and talk to me about what I'm sending and recieving. I honestly think this is more effective than having your childs text messages sent to you. If my parents had my texts sent to them, that would make me want to sneak around more often, honestly. And if you're that concerned about what your child is sending and recieving over text messages, maybe they shouldn't have the privledge of having a phone. 

Just trying to help. 

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@guiltymusicaddict wrote:

I know you're concerned about what your child is sending and recieving over text, but me, being a 13 year old girl myself, with her own phone, disagrees. I know you're thinking it's obvious I would disagree with this. But, my parents do check my phone occasionally, and talk to me about what I'm sending and recieving. I honestly think this is more effective than having your childs text messages sent to you. If my parents had my texts sent to them, that would make me want to sneak around more often, honestly. And if you're that concerned about what your child is sending and recieving over text messages, maybe they shouldn't have the privledge of having a phone. 

Just trying to help. 

You realize you are responding to a thread that hasn't been active for over 2 years?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This is ridiculous. If you people don't trust your little children enough to tmake the right decisions with texting, then DONT GET THEM A PHONE.... There is no reason to monitor and smother your children. That will only make them more rebellious... Sincerely, the 19 year old boy that probably texted your daughters!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

FYI. If the number you are monitoring is chatting in a group text it won’t even show that they talked. This is more frustrating than useful!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

As a 16 year old whose parents monitor her like a warden, this is frustrating. It shows you have a lack of trust for your son/daughter, which in turn makes us sneak around even more. If you don’t trust them, don’t give them the privilege of having a phone. If you want us to be forthcoming you have to have an open mind to what we are talking about. For example, say your daughter has a boyfriend you don’t like because of this or that, but you don’t actually give him the chance. Maybe there’s a solid reason why she can’t date him. But if you’re saying no because he doesn’t go to her school, or is a year or two older than her (I’m talking 16+ here), she is just going to date him with or without your permission. She isn’t going to enjoy lying to you, but if you force her to “stop” talking to him and monitor her phone and get notified whenever she texts, she is going to find alternatives. Even if you put every restriction possible on her phone, she will still find a way.

Basically, what I’m saying, is as a teenager whose parents quite literally monitor everything in my life, it makes me sneak around more.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.