Get the myAT&T app
kara0303's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 29th, 2018 6:30 PM

Can ATT help block spam calls?

I'm frustrated with the amount and frequency of spam calls to my number. I've registered my number with the DO NOT CALL list (it's been registered for years, but I re-registered again last year), but still have a spammer that uses a 404-797-xxxx number just like the beginning digits of my cell number and it's spam. I block any that come in, but they continue to barrage my phone with calls. On Friday I had 4 from 4 different 404-797-xxxx numbers within a two hour window. I just received another. Is there anything ATT can do to stop these from coming in??  Or is there anything else that I can do to stop these?  I block the individual numbers that come in, but there has to be a better way.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

6 years ago

If you have a smartphone, you can install Call Protect. If they are known scam numbers, the app will block the call and they can notify you of suspected spam or telemarketer calls.

Many scammers spoof their caller ID numbers and AT&T cannot block those calls.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Call Protect works great.  It was developed by Hiya and blocks spam, fraud, telemarketing and robo calls at the network level.   If you do not have postpaid, (because the app requires HD voice) you can use Hiya.  

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Bummer.

As I register, both phones say “not eligible” for Call Protect. 

I have 2 ATT accounts each each with they’re own number. One iPhone 6sPlus. The other iPhone X. Both from ATT, too. 

Any idea why or direction on how to activate. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@NoNopeNot wrote:

Bummer.

As I register, both phones say “not eligible” for Call Protect. 

I have 2 ATT accounts each each with they’re own number. One iPhone 6sPlus. The other iPhone X. Both from ATT, too. 

Any idea why or direction on how to activate. 

Download Hiya.   Hiya developed call protect for AT&T. But you don’t have to have ATT to use Hiya.   It’s free.  

(This information was provided in the earlier post too)

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

6 years ago

Thank hugely for your help.

After loading, it seems Hiya is similar to TrueCaller – an app I’ve had for awhile. Though it warns you about the occasional call, and blocks from calls you already once received, it’s mostly about contributing to a downloadable spam number database that seems never able to get ahead of all the different numbers. Now I’m up to over a dozen bogus calls a day, even getting calls listed as from Russia, Malaysia, Myanmar and even just zeroes and ones labeled simply USA. 

Though I haven’t been able to run it for reasons I still don’t understand, the comments around Call Protect give the impression it’s more effective and different than the kind of “crowdsourcing” list creation of Hiya and True Caller. True?

Still curious as to why neither of my two new iPhones from ATT will load the original ATT Call Protect app. Anyone have thoughts on that head scratcher?

thanks again!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

The AT&T Call Protect app available from Apple Corporation is entirely ineffective and a legal fraud and I have filed this complaint with Apple to their legal department in terms of the consequential harm that the AT&T "Call Protect" application is deceitfully providing through Apple and which is adversely effecting my investment in Apple stock as noted below:

"Call Protect within an Apple branded iPhone is not of any protection against the highest complaint that Congress, & FTC/BCP, receives from all Americans and this facade of faux-protection is damaging to Apple and its share price, and should be excluded or made effective with cooperation of Apple and ATT's joint efforts for an effective and complete protection from both these responsible corporations against the massive and 'negative externality costs' imposed on all Americans.  I've been working with Congresswoman Chellie ***'s office & FTC complaints to no avail" ---- yet, which is why I'm taking legal action against one or both corporations to either stop marketing and distributing this fraudulent product or to make it universally effective within the switching center network.

Sincerely,

Alan [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

That is NOT true.  I have Call Protect plus, mostly to stop the 303-748-xxxx (same NPA-NXX 'bug') . It HAS NOT stopped these calls.  I'm not an expert, but it feels like a virus on the home switch.  darn hackers.  If somebody can tell me how to allow legitimate same NPA-NXX calls and block the fraud calls I might be willing to keep my subscription.  $4 per month is a lot to pay to still have to deal with spam calls.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

No.  It does not work great.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@alanmac385iclou

@Lynnwithnoe

And yet a quarter million users have rated the app 4.6 out of 5 in the Apple App Store. 🤨

Just because it didn’t work for you as you wanted, doesn’t mean it’s ineffective.   

Google play has a 4.2 rating.   Hiya 4.4 rating.  

As fast as these apps are changed, spoofers adapt....

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/10/robocallers-evolved-to-sidestep-new-call-blocking-rules-ags-tell-fcc/

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@alanmac385iclou wrote:

The AT&T Call Protect app available from Apple Corporation is entirely ineffective and a legal fraud and I have filed this complaint with Apple to their legal department in terms of the consequential harm that the AT&T "Call Protect" application is deceitfully providing through Apple and which is adversely effecting my investment in Apple stock as noted below:

"Call Protect within an Apple branded iPhone is not of any protection against the highest complaint that Congress, & FTC/BCP, receives from all Americans and this facade of faux-protection is damaging to Apple and its share price, and should be excluded or made effective with cooperation of Apple and ATT's joint efforts for an effective and complete protection from both these responsible corporations against the massive and 'negative externality costs' imposed on all Americans.  I've been working with Congresswoman Chellie ***'s office & FTC complaints to no avail" ---- yet, which is why I'm taking legal action against one or both corporations to either stop marketing and distributing this fraudulent product or to make it universally effective within the switching center network.

Sincerely,

Alan [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

@alanmac385iclou

its a ATT app..  It passed apples verification process.  APPLE has done what they should.  I swear people just don't get it.  Digital switches make it impossible for any carrier in the US to get rid of spam calls period.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.