Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can ATT help block spam calls?

Contributor

Can ATT help block spam calls?

I'm frustrated with the amount and frequency of spam calls to my number. I've registered my number with the DO NOT CALL list (it's been registered for years, but I re-registered again last year), but still have a spammer that uses a 404-797-xxxx number just like the beginning digits of my cell number and it's spam. I block any that come in, but they continue to barrage my phone with calls. On Friday I had 4 from 4 different 404-797-xxxx numbers within a two hour window. I just received another. Is there anything ATT can do to stop these from coming in??  Or is there anything else that I can do to stop these?  I block the individual numbers that come in, but there has to be a better way.

Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by kara0303
‎01-29-2018 12:09 PM

Re: Can ATT help block spam calls?

If you have a smartphone, you can install Call Protect. If they are known scam numbers, the app will block the call and they can notify you of suspected spam or telemarketer calls.

Many scammers spoof their caller ID numbers and AT&T cannot block those calls.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 14
ACE - Sage

Call Protect works great.  It was developed by Hiya and blocks spam, fraud, telemarketing and robo calls at the network level.   If you do not have postpaid, (because the app requires HD voice) you can use Hiya.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 14
Tutor

Bummer.

As I register, both phones say “not eligible” for Call Protect. 

I have 2 ATT accounts each each with they’re own number. One iPhone 6sPlus. The other iPhone X. Both from ATT, too. 

Any idea why or direction on how to activate. 

Message 4 of 14
ACE - Sage

@NoNopeNot wrote:

Bummer.

As I register, both phones say “not eligible” for Call Protect. 

I have 2 ATT accounts each each with they’re own number. One iPhone 6sPlus. The other iPhone X. Both from ATT, too. 

Any idea why or direction on how to activate. 

Download Hiya.   Hiya developed call protect for AT&T. But you don’t have to have ATT to use Hiya.   It’s free.  

(This information was provided in the earlier post too)

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 14
Tutor

Thank hugely for your help.

After loading, it seems Hiya is similar to TrueCaller – an app I’ve had for awhile. Though it warns you about the occasional call, and blocks from calls you already once received, it’s mostly about contributing to a downloadable spam number database that seems never able to get ahead of all the different numbers. Now I’m up to over a dozen bogus calls a day, even getting calls listed as from Russia, Malaysia, Myanmar and even just zeroes and ones labeled simply USA. 

Though I haven’t been able to run it for reasons I still don’t understand, the comments around Call Protect give the impression it’s more effective and different than the kind of “crowdsourcing” list creation of Hiya and True Caller. True?

Still curious as to why neither of my two new iPhones from ATT will load the original ATT Call Protect app. Anyone have thoughts on that head scratcher?

thanks again!

Message 6 of 14
Contributor

The AT&T Call Protect app available from Apple Corporation is entirely ineffective and a legal fraud and I have filed this complaint with Apple to their legal department in terms of the consequential harm that the AT&T "Call Protect" application is deceitfully providing through Apple and which is adversely effecting my investment in Apple stock as noted below:

"Call Protect within an Apple branded iPhone is not of any protection against the highest complaint that Congress, & FTC/BCP, receives from all Americans and this facade of faux-protection is damaging to Apple and its share price, and should be excluded or made effective with cooperation of Apple and ATT's joint efforts for an effective and complete protection from both these responsible corporations against the massive and 'negative externality costs' imposed on all Americans.  I've been working with Congresswoman Chellie ***'s office & FTC complaints to no avail" ---- yet, which is why I'm taking legal action against one or both corporations to either stop marketing and distributing this fraudulent product or to make it universally effective within the switching center network.

Sincerely,

Alan [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Message 7 of 14

That is NOT true.  I have Call Protect plus, mostly to stop the 303-748-xxxx (same NPA-NXX 'bug') . It HAS NOT stopped these calls.  I'm not an expert, but it feels like a virus on the home switch.  darn hackers.  If somebody can tell me how to allow legitimate same NPA-NXX calls and block the fraud calls I might be willing to keep my subscription.  $4 per month is a lot to pay to still have to deal with spam calls.

Message 8 of 14

No.  It does not work great.

Message 9 of 14
ACE - Sage

@alanmac385iclou

@Lynnwithnoe

And yet a quarter million users have rated the app 4.6 out of 5 in the Apple App Store. 🤨

Just because it didn’t work for you as you wanted, doesn’t mean it’s ineffective.   

Google play has a 4.2 rating.   Hiya 4.4 rating.  

As fast as these apps are changed, spoofers adapt....

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/10/robocallers-evolved-to-sidestep-new-call-blocking-rules-...

Message 10 of 14
ACE - Expert

@alanmac385iclou wrote:

The AT&T Call Protect app available from Apple Corporation is entirely ineffective and a legal fraud and I have filed this complaint with Apple to their legal department in terms of the consequential harm that the AT&T "Call Protect" application is deceitfully providing through Apple and which is adversely effecting my investment in Apple stock as noted below:

"Call Protect within an Apple branded iPhone is not of any protection against the highest complaint that Congress, & FTC/BCP, receives from all Americans and this facade of faux-protection is damaging to Apple and its share price, and should be excluded or made effective with cooperation of Apple and ATT's joint efforts for an effective and complete protection from both these responsible corporations against the massive and 'negative externality costs' imposed on all Americans.  I've been working with Congresswoman Chellie ***'s office & FTC complaints to no avail" ---- yet, which is why I'm taking legal action against one or both corporations to either stop marketing and distributing this fraudulent product or to make it universally effective within the switching center network.

Sincerely,

Alan [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

@alanmac385iclou

its a ATT app..  It passed apples verification process.  APPLE has done what they should.  I swear people just don't get it.  Digital switches make it impossible for any carrier in the US to get rid of spam calls period.

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Sage

I think people are expecting some kind of miracle cure, when there is none.  Especially not when the scammers adjust constantly to account for blocking apps.

Neither Verizon or ATT should be charging for this service.  

Message 12 of 14
Contributor

I am pretty sure the latest rash of cell spam on AT&T is not stoppable. The BEST technique for weeding out this nonsense is to keep your phone in a constant state of Do Not Disturb . By going into setting an allowing ONLY contacts in your CONTACT list, I now only get the calls I want. No more ringing 3 times an hour with "press 2 to be removed from our list" 

NO MATTER WHAT you do, hang up, dont answer, listen, the calling bot records your phone # as a working # and they sell it for a nickel in Romania! 

Message 13 of 14
Contributor

This is simply a bad method.  I have business calls all the time.  I can't keep my phone on constant DND.  I still get about 4-5 a day spam from all over the world.  I guess these scammers are smarter than our billion dollar phone companies.  Pathetic. 

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support