Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Calling from an AT&T Mobile Share Advantage Plan to Iridium satellite phone?

Highlighted
Contributor

Calling from an AT&T Mobile Share Advantage Plan to Iridium satellite phone?

I was told by a customer service representative (via an online chat) that because I have the 16 GB Mobile Share Advantage plan, that if I called an Iridium satellite phone I wouldn't be charged any additional long distance rates or fees; and that I have "nothing to worry about" and I'd be fine. An Iridium satellite phone has a 881 international code (or also listed as a 8816 prefix), which I feel is grounds for a long distance rate? What I want to know is; if an iPhone with a US number was to call an Iridium satellite phone (with a 881 country/calling code), would it cost me anything ABOVE AND BEYOND what my normal monthly costs would be? Or would the call just count towards my monthly unlimited voice (essentially not costing anything because I have unlimited voice anyways) plan? OR, would I be charged $3.95/minute? 

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Sage

Re: Calling from an AT&T Mobile Share Advantage Plan to Iridium satellite phone?

Wow.  This is a new question on me.  According to this article, you pay long distance charges.

http://satellitephone.com/FAQ.php

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Re: Calling from an AT&T Mobile Share Advantage Plan to Iridium satellite phone?

Yeah, and that's why I'm so confused. It makes sense that the US supplied phone number calling an Iridium phone number would end up paying the HEFTY international calling rates....but the lady on the chat told me that, that's not the case. Me calling an Iridium phone number is part of the features of the Mobile Share Advantage plan. I WISH an Iridium number was much cheaper to call like some of the other countries listed in the international calling rate plans!! But, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the lady on the chat was correct Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 8
Scholar

The only perks we get for having that plan is unlimited calls to Mexico and Canada AND using your data and minutes in Mexico  (and possibly canada too could just be for unlimited plus).  

Message 4 of 8
Professor
Solution
Accepted by (Professor)
Accepted by jt212s
‎04-23-2017 1:12 PM

@jyaknot @slyfielj @lizdance40,

Calls to satellite phones are not included with any plan.

According to https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/long-distance.html?tab=1, the current pay-per-use rate is $4.50/minute, and the current World Connect rate is $3.95/minute.

Satellite phones are all prefixed with SAT - in the country drop down list for pricing.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 8
ACE - Sage

Thanks Justin.   Why a rep would give a wrong answer is annoying.   

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 8
Professor

@lizdance40 So annoying. That info is available easily. I'm sure the internal documentation also references it quite easily with a search. I know it used to.

Justin

If this solved your problem, please consider accepting this as the solution so that it can help others in the future. Please remember that this is a customer forum and all of the answers we provide are through our own research, experience, or personal knowledge.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Sage

Geesh.  All I had to do is google it.  

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support