Get the myAT&T app
RhodesMan's profile
ACE - Guru

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

Wednesday, July 15th, 2015 5:05 AM

Best no contract option

We have been contract family plan users of AT&T for some years and need to add a fifth line.

My research has shown that the cheapest cost of ownership including a phone is to go post paid with no contract. All the other plans be it Next or Contract involve financing the phone and other charges. We don't mind having to pay outright for an unlocked phone and then changing/upgrading when we choose.

I have also spoken to Cricket (owned by AT&T) and their family plan prices seem very good. Downside is their LTE data speeds which  get capped at 8Mbps as well as not having full roaming (ie. same coverage as prepaid AT&T instead of the full coverage as postpaid AT&T).

What are your experiences going this route with AT&T, Cricket or anyone else?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

GoPhone or cricket has a smaller coverage area, no matter what the map says.
Because I have a lot of device on my plan and a large data pool, I keep my bill low by buying phones full price elsewhere. I bought 3 phones on eBay in the past 9 months for only about $200 each. All mint condition and working great. Just make sure the phone is for ATT.

Buy purchasing phones outright, I keep my line fee at only $15 for each phone line (rather than the full $40)

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

The data restriction of Cricket concerns me less than the coverage which we already struggle with in our suburb.

Other than that I agree with your method. Slightly more cash that needs to be outlayed up front to buy the phones but lower monthly costs and less cost of ownership when measured over a typical 24 month contract period.

Anyone else?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 is our resident phone junkie. He might be able to suggest good new phones at bargain prices, that can be purchased at full, but reasonable prices.

My 2nd phone is a Samsung Galaxy Alpha. It was an ATT exclusive phone. It's only fault is a lower resolution screen than we have come to expect from Samsung. Otherwise, it has 32gb onboard storage, plenty of RAM and less or removable bloat with lollipop on other Samsung devices. It's solid metal frame was the first step away from the plastic Samsung has been criticized for. About the size of the Galaxy S3 and iPhone 6 it's not too big or too small. eBay price 2 months ago for a new phone, $219, no tax, free shipping.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@RhodesMan

what do you want in a phone?  Do you need apple?  Do you like android?

With android there are tons of phones.

The galaxy s6 920i that will work fully with ATT is going for 499.99 on ebay brand new and you can get it in blue which us carriers are not selling.

Asus has the zen phone 2 which is a really nice phone I have one at the house.  299.99 for 64gb on amazon or newegg.

I am the master of the cheap phone lol.

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Gman.

I am Android but the rest of the family is Iphone.

Right now the phones we have are fine, my LG G3 being the newest. As the Iphone 5's start getting long in the tooth we can then look at replacing them as and when needed.

I am busy ordering replacement batteries for the Iphone 5's which no longer want to hold a charge. The kids think that it's a good excuse to get a new phone, not when I can replace the battery for under $20!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Good idea, replacing batteries on perfectly good phones.
My sons have the 5S. They like the iPhone, but don't want the 6 because of the size. The 6 and 6+ are big, thin and fragile without a case. My boys insist phones be pocket worthy. While the 5S is, even cased, the 6 is a brick and the 6+ is a phablet (aka: for mothers older eyes)

At 18 and 20 years old, the next phones they buy will not be on my dime.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

@RhodesMan

My kids wanted iPhones well they have android phones.  I look at it this way.  I pay for them you use what I give you.

ACE - Guru

• 

987 Messages

9 years ago

I hear and agree with both of you loud and clear.

This topic has come up now beacuse my oldest after breaking more than one phone was given an old Iphone 4 that I had and wants to know when the contract will be renewed so she can get a new "free" phone.

I have news for her! Those days are over.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

LOL. Been there! My youngest broke his 5s a while ago and has already cracked the screen on the replacement.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.