Get the myAT&T app
Daredman's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, September 30th, 2008 6:20 AM

Closed

Best GPS phone

I'm looking into getting my first GPS enabled phone. Up until now, my mobile phone has always been a Palm Treo. I understand that you can purchase a Bluetooth receiver separately for the car dashboard to use with GPS enabled Palm phones. But I don't see the Treos listed on the AT&T site by selecting "AT&T Navigator" phone. Could someone clarify which navigation software the Treos (Centro or 750) would use?

Also, I'm willing to consider other phones as well. Which phones are people using with AT&T Navigator? What device features make them especially suited to use as GPS phones. Do some come ready with mounting accessories? People have mentioned that they rely mostly on the voice prompts as opposed to the graphical display, but I still tend to think that a larger screen model would be a plus. Am I right?

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

495 Messages

16 years ago

Personally, I'd look at one of the solutions that comes installed on an SD card before I'd subscribe to AT&T Navigator. You can use one of the card-bases GPS programs, like Garmin Mobile XT or On Course Navigator, even when you don't have a data connection. I have Garmin Mobile XT installed on my Tilt, and it works great. With Navigator, you pay for it every month and you have to have an active data connection. For $100 or less (BuyGPSnow has an introductory special on On-Course Navigator 8), you'll pay for one of the SD-card based GPS packages in less than a year. GPSPassion is a good web site for checking out your options.

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

16 years ago

Daredman wrote:
I'm looking into getting my first GPS enabled phone. Up until now, my mobile phone has always been a Palm Treo. I understand that you can purchase a Bluetooth receiver separately for the car dashboard to use with GPS enabled Palm phones. But I don't see the Treos listed on the AT&T site by selecting "AT&T Navigator" phone. Could someone clarify which navigation software the Treos (Centro or 750) would use?

Also, I'm willing to consider other phones as well. Which phones are people using with AT&T Navigator? What device features make them especially suited to use as GPS phones. Do some come ready with mounting accessories? People have mentioned that they rely mostly on the voice prompts as opposed to the graphical display, but I still tend to think that a larger screen model would be a plus. Am I right?

How often a week would you use your GPS?

I ask this only because if you use your GPS like I do (about once or twice a month)...then you might want to check out Windows Live Search. It's free and does a great job for infrequent GPS use...Or you don't mind not having turn-by-turn voice prompts. Live Search "beeps" at you when you're nearing a turn. It provides turn by turn navigation as words under the map, but no voice prompts.

If you need it more frequently than that then 3rd party software is better.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Thanks for the replies with suggestions as to which nav software would be good. Does anyone have any thoughts about the rest of the post?

Daredman wrote:

...Also, I'm willing to consider other phones as well. Which phones are people using with AT&T Navigator? What device features make them especially suited to use as GPS phones. Do some come ready with mounting accessories? People have mentioned that they rely mostly on the voice prompts as opposed to the graphical display, but I still tend to think that a larger screen model would be a plus. Am I right?

Message Edited by Daredman on 10-01-2008 08:08:55 PM

Guru

• 

495 Messages

15 years ago

I have the Tilt.  It's a good phone, although it's replacement the Fuze is supposedly due out later this month.  I don't think any phones come with mounting accessories.  Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a ProClip mount.  Windshield suction mounts are illegal in some places, and the vent mounts are just wretched.  The ProClips require a little elbow grease, but they're great mounts.  Bigger screens are nicer, but at this point the only phone with a bigger screen than the Tilt and upcoming Fuze is the iPhone.

@Daredman wrote:
Thanks for the replies with suggestions as to which nav software would be good. Does anyone have any thoughts about the rest of the post?

@Daredman wrote:

...Also, I'm willing to consider other phones as well. Which phones are people using with AT&T Navigator? What device features make them especially suited to use as GPS phones. Do some come ready with mounting accessories? People have mentioned that they rely mostly on the voice prompts as opposed to the graphical display, but I still tend to think that a larger screen model would be a plus. Am I right?

Message Edited by Daredman on 10-01-2008 08:08:55 PM

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.