For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
afuentez's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, May 6th, 2017 10:41 PM

BEWARE: Switch Program Scam

I switched from Sprint to AT&T on March 16th using the switch program.  I was reassured that AT&T would pay the remaining cost on my sprint phones (2) throughout the process at the AT&T store.  The sales associate at the store told me that there was nothing else that I would have to do (they had my account number for Sprint) and my visa card would be received in 4 to 6 weeks.  After two weeks I called to check on the process because I got my final bill from Sprint.  To my surprise I was told that there was no progress because I need to submit my bill from sprint.  Well I was never told that but the lady on the phone explained to me what I had to do.  So I uploaded my bill and waited some more.  A week or so went by and I received an email saying the my switch was not approved.  So I called and was on the phone over a hour trying to get that straightened out.  That was resolved and the customer service rep told me that everything was done and approved and I should be receiving the visa card in about a week.  Well about a week and half to two weeks went by and still nothing.  So I went online to check the statues and to my surprise I am only receiving $259 for one on my phones.  So I traded an IPhone 7 and Samsung s7  that was only 6 months old in for $259.  I am not at very happy customer.  I called at&t customer service to find out what was going on and spent over 2 hours on the phone to have them tell me that they are sorry for the inconvenience but there is nothing they can do.  So I asked if I could just have my phones back and they told me no because it has been over two weeks.  I told them that's because it took them 6 weeks to tell me this.  I would have NEVER agreed to this if I know that I was only receiving $259 for my new phones and I know that I am not the only one who is having problems with the switch program because I was literally on hold for 1 hour before I could get this explained.  I asked why did I have to submit my phone bill if you was not going to use it and give me what you value the phones at because we all know that I could have very easily sold the phones for at least $400 a pieces.  Well after being on the phone with the reparative for a total of 15 mins. and it taking 1 hr and 45 mins. to get him.  All I get is an apology and a $1200 Sprint bill and a new phone bill with at&t.  I was told that I should have read all the terms and conditions but honesty we all know that they have lawyers write those to cover them but it is not explained for everyday people to understand.  I am very disappointed in AT&T.  at&t you are a multibillion dollar company I don't understand why you have to lie and scam your customer.  That $1200 isn't nothing but a speck to you but means a lot more to me and my family.  I feel very vulnerable and helpless because they took advantage of the situation and as a consumer there is nothing I can do.   

****So if you plan on switching to AT&T beware you might need a lawyer.     

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

How much you get is only equal to how much you owed to Sprint for each phone, up to $650. You should have also gotten something when you traded in each phone. Did you? That plus the final Visa card should add up to what you owed Sprint. Sprint's switch offer works the same, in fact all carrier's switch offers work that way.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@afuentez wrote:

I switched from Sprint to AT&T on March 16th using the switch program.  I was reassured that AT&T would pay the remaining cost on my sprint phones (2) throughout the process at the AT&T store.  

I was told that I should have read all the terms and conditions but honesty we all know that they have lawyers write those to cover them but it is not explained for everyday people to understand. 

From your wording about the complexity I'm going to have to think you still haven't read the actual offer? http://att.com/switch

It's written pretty clear and in a nice big font. You mention the terms & conditions but I don't see anything that tells me you were excluded from anything in the "fine print". (Although that really long paragraph is a little hard to read).

It's not clear when/where you got the $259. What did they give you when you turned in the phones?

Did you buy two new phones on Next at at AT&T?

You don't mention what they gave you for the other phone?

How much did you owe Sprint for each PHONE?

(FYI, AT&T only covers phone costs or ETF so I'm glad they only told you "remaining cost on my sprint phones")

They should cover the cost of each phone 100% up to $650 each.  It would be easier if you told us what they:

1. gave you for each phone when you turned them in,
  2. what they gave you from uploading the final bill for each phone and
  3. what you owed for each phone
    (that's SIX numbers total being asking for).

YES, for some people it's more cost effective to keep the phone and sell it themselves, that's a decision they have to make on their own. Just like selling that old car back to the dealer or sell it themselves for more, selling to the dealer is easier and often going to get you less than selling it on your own. I've seen people do this on an almost paid off iPhone to get $50 when they could have sold it for $200 or more...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

How does ATT choose to cover phone cost OR ETF??? How does that make sense? 

Phone 1
Lease Cancel Charge PR-L-H $319.99
Lease Device Purch PR-L-H $194.00

Phone 2
Lease Cancel Charge PR-L-H$263.27
Lease Device Purch PR-L-H $176.00 

ATT wants to offer me $213.99 for phone 1 and $219.27 for phone 2. How is any of this calculated??

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Couldbebetter wrote:

How does ATT choose to cover phone cost OR ETF??? How does that make sense? 

Most carriers don't have a phone cost AND an ETF (I'm guessing you have Sprint), the real question is why/how does your old carrier charge you both? (pretty much so you can't take advantage of the switcher offers).

AT&T's offer is one OR the other. See https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/switch-and-save-etf.html

T-mobile says the same:

Do I still qualify if some of my lines have ETFs and others are on device payment plans?

Submissions can include multiple lines (ETFs, device payment plan balances) but reimbursements are one offer (ETF or device payment plan reimbursement) per line, up to 10 lines. https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switch-carriers-no-early-termination-fee.html

I believe Sprint pays BOTH fees, but I think Sprint might be the only one who charges both so that makes it pretty safe for them. (I could be wrong on this)

Phone 1

Phone 2

Are these numbers are from your carrier? (or AT&T).

ATT wants to offer me $213.99 for phone 1 and $219.27 for phone 2. How is any of this calculated??

WHEN do they offer this? IF that is your offer when you go to turn it in, that's just the buyback price (if you do the "switcher offer" or not). That's step one of the switcher offer. Then when you send your final bill they make up the difference for the phone cost OR ETF.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Phone 1

Phone 2

These numbers are from my FINAL BILL from Sprint which I sent to AT&T 2
days after my phones were taken by the AT&T sales rep, in-store.

ATT wants to offer me $213.99 for phone 1 and $219.27 for phone 2 <------
This amount was offered 4 weeks later by AT&T with no detail of what this
amount was supposed to cover. I only know because I had to constantly
follow up using the tracking number provided. Now 8 weeks later nothing has
arrived, I have a final Sprint bill of over $1200 and an AT&T bill for
$360.

I read through the offer details, thank you. I am still unclear as to how
AT&T arrived at those numbers. My phones were taken by the AT&T sales rep
when we signed the contracts in-store. It was explained to us that we would
receive up to $650 per line and I feel like I was lied to and scammed.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Couldbebetter  I think you’re missing part of the question....  The switch works by offering you a trade-in credit at the time you port in. This trade-in credit on each phone is deducted from your final reimbursement. 

For example if you owe $300 on one phone.  You get $100 when you trade in the phone.  Your final reimbursement would be $200 

So the question is what did you get for trade-in credits on each phone? 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

A 'trade-in credit' was never mentioned or offered. I'm not sure what that
is or where I would find that information.

I was simply told that:
- once I receive my final bill from Sprint I need to send it to AT&T

-I would be sent debit cards that would cover the early termination fees
related to the contract and lease on the phones

- I would receive a maximum of $650 per line

>From that ^ statement, how would I decipher what my 'trade-in credit' would
be??

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Couldbebetter wrote:
Phone 1

I read through the offer details, thank you. I am still unclear as to how
AT&T arrived at those numbers. My phones were taken by the AT&T sales rep
when we signed the contracts in-store. It was explained to us that we would
receive up to $650 per line and I feel like I was lied to and scammed.

Who knows how they come up with those numbers, it's like a used car, who knows how they calculate it.

If you read the page, they pay you in TWO phases, 

1. For the trade in
    I would think you'd get a receipt when you handed them you phone? That had some kind of info?
  2. With your final bill, they are SUPPOSED to make up the difference for your phone cost or ETF

So for you, let's do phone 1 with the $319.99 lease cancel charge (since it's higher)

1. If your trade in initial credit (when you handed them the phone) was $213.99 for phone 1
  2. and then you submitted your bill for the phone cost of $319.99,
    they should get you another $106 to make up the difference ($319.99 =  $106+$213.99). Your MAX for phone switcher offer is is  $319.99, because that's all you owe.   

UP TO $650 means MAXIMUM, you may not get that much, I'd guess 98% of the people do not, because who buys a new phone and then leaves the company very quickly (I'd guess not too many).

When working correctly, they are basically buying your phone for the rest of your payments. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Couldbebetter

Trade in credit is SOP when phones are turned in.  They were received by ATTor they wouldn’t be offering you a dime.  So how were they traded in?  

Mail?

Store?

Check your first few bills for credits.  Check your receipt for gift cards used to pay for cases or taxes, etc.  If you can’t find proof of credits or gift cards, go back to the store you made your trade in and purchase.  One customer had a check waiting for months at a store.  (Not how it’s supposed to work)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T stand for A Thieves & Thugs. They did the same scam to me about the switch program I end up stuck with them for 2years contract. I blamed myself why did I left Sprint and switched to Scammers AT&T they take my 4 iPhones 7s and didn't pay my final bill from Sprint as they promised, left me with debt and ruined my credit. I tried to to complaint to BBB and State Attorney General I didn't get no solved solution. I just give up so far because there is northing I can do, I can't fight with superpower scammer.

I will continue to make people  beware about this scam. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.