Explore & discover

Helpful Links

At&t Secure Family

Contributor

At&t Secure Family

I keep getting popup saying family map is now secure family and to go to google play to get update.  I click on update, but there's no update.  Only options available are to uninstall or open app.  I click open, it goes back to ATT Family Map...get the popup to update again.  No way to bypass the popup, no update to download.  Cant use the app at all.  Very frustrated.

Message 1 of 80
Teacher

Re: at&t family map

I got a response from Apple this morning that I didn't have to download the Companion App if I just wanted to locate phones.  The Secure Family App had not worked for locating up until today.  It started to work for a few hours then back to not working on any regular basis.  Haven't gotten a location for hours now.

Concerned but know it has the capability to work good if developers will get the bugs out and give us the same good service we had with Familymap.  I rarely had a problem with this service for the past 15 years.

Hope we can all be happy again soon and can locate our children, grandchildren, etc.

Message 31 of 80
Contributor

I hate this new app. You can't locate your children phone or location unless you pair their phone with yours and download a companion app.  If they uninstall companion app or turn off GPS you can not locate them. Kind of defeats the purpose for teenagers

I want the old app back so I can know where they really are when they say that they are somewhere else 

Message 32 of 80
Contributor

It is a totally different app and I hate it

Message 33 of 80
Contributor

Was charged 9.99 for Att Family Map this Tuesday Nov. 13 2018, only to try to locate the app today and it was gone. Downloaded the "new" app and now it wants to charge me an additional charge of 7.99? What the heck? I'm not paying another charge for this app.

Message 34 of 80
Contributor

I AGREE ... I HATE THIS APP!  THIS IS USELESS FOR TEENAGERS.  IT IS UNREALISTIC TO EXPECT AN OLDER TEENAGER TO VOLUNTARILY BE TRACKED.  NOW YOU CAN'T EVEN USE A PC TO TRACK ANYMORE.  HATE, HATE, HATE!!!!!!!

Message 35 of 80
Teacher

I echo HATE HATE HATE!  I have used my computer for tracking with familymap for years.  Now you cannot do it online anymore.  I called ATT and their response was "Buy an iPhone".  Stupid business decision on their part.

Message 36 of 80
Contributor

i have another problem , it shows one phone instead another one 

Message 37 of 80

I can't even sign into Family Secure since it automatically updated/ changed from Family Map. Same ol', same ol' when it comes to AT&T. Family Map is the only reason I remain with AT&T. Going to a less expensive provider soon.

Message 38 of 80
Contributor

Go to your APP MANAGER and select SECURE FAMILY then click on NOTIFICATIONS and block.  Fixed Smiley Happy

Message 39 of 80
Contributor

I also can’t even get into the app. It says, “whoops something is wrong please try again.” I have deleted the app and reinstalled and still the same thing. 🧐

Message 40 of 80
Teacher

Re: at

It should not charge you an additional amount. I had thought that also but
after calling and verifying with Att customer service they advised it was
only 1 charge. And actually now Att family map is now Att secure family
which is now $7.99 a month. Hope this helps.
Message 41 of 80
Contributor

Wigrated family maps over to family secure and it it mixed up rolls on 2 of my numbers listed.  It listed my husband's number as child and my daughters number as parent.  And since Ido not have access to everyone's phone to go in and pair them, it is not functioning.  How do I fix the first error and secondly how do I get to system working?  Useless for me to pay for a service I cannot access.

Message 42 of 80
Teacher

Okay AT&T.Now is the time to redeem yourself and make this Secure Family app alot better!! I mean you might as well just left family map alone.  Until you had all the gagets fig out properly.  We are in times where we expect for software to roll out with very high expectations and to be able to navigate easily.  The Secure family needs to be able to be accessed on a desktop computer as well as the app.  And DO NOT have childish language and options within the app. We as customers are choosing to have this added feature so we should be able to have as many options as we can have available either on a desktop or an app. Make changes please asap!! Thank you.

Message 43 of 80

Secure Family App is horrible.  I never used the Family Map, but once the SF installed it stays in the background running constantly.  The "updating data" notification is always on, it tried to turn on location without permission, etc.  Would you guys PLEASE STOP bloatwaring your packages with useless apps that are poorly programmed for mobile use.

Message 44 of 80
Teacher

Yet another 'not ready for prime time' app.  

I see a number of issues here, some mentioned before this post, but this app is junk.  Unlike some other posters, I was able to upgrade the app from FamilyMap and get locations without adding the companion app to the other phones along with an accuracy number.  But the first issue is the icon showing the location is huge and not transparent like the previous app and missing the visual accuracy also provided by the previous app.  Although the icon appears to be changeable, there are no other options to choose from.  Regardless of the accuracy noted in the app, the default sizing obscures a lot of real estate unless you enlarge the map manually.  No options to change the default.

On another note, even after stopping or leaving the app, there appears to be something running in the background that posts an icon and message that says "Updating AT&T Secure Family Data".  Can't get rid of it unless you manually kill the app.  This is a bit worrisome because of the permissions we apparently can't control and I  have no idea what data and information is actually being updated.  We can turn off Contacts, Location, Phone and Storage but it's not clear what this does.  Under 'All Permissions' you can see this list of possible access, again not entirely clear but some are understandable and necessary, some not:

read your contacts

access precise location

read phone status and identity

modify or delete contents of your SD card

read the contents of your SD card

have full network access

view WiFi connections

view network connections

run at startup

connect and disconnect from WiFi

control vibration

prevent phone from sleeping

receive data from internet

Play Install Referrer API

So AT&T has lowered the price, required more apps loaded on all phones and has access to everything on those phones to view or make changes and given us an app 'in the rough', an app that needs work.  Since there have been apps available that provide the same service for free (privacy issues notwithstanding) I'm wondering what our benefits are other than getting a dollar off and giving access to everything on our phones.  Let even more junk email and messaging begin, or continue, powered by the info pilfered from our phones.

Message 45 of 80
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support