For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
eorainey88's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 9:10 PM

ATT will not grant me an exception to unlock my tablet...very bad decision.

My question is...Why won't ATT grant me an exception to unlock my tablet?

I am a long time (like 20 years), loyal customer of ATT.  I currently have 3 plans (1 phone, 1 watch and 1 tablet).  I upgrade every year (ATT Next 12 months for 3 years).  I upgraded to Note 7, but we all know where that went.  So I had to get a S7 Edge.  I went ahead and accepted the free tablet and watch with a 2 year service commitment.  What I am asking is that ATT unlock my tablet so that I can use it for when I travel (I am a frequent traveller working for the CDC).  If I followed the rules (I always do), I'd pay like $100 for the ETF and then they would unlock it.  What I requested was to get an exception and forgo the ETF and for them to allow me to unlock the tablet (it is a 4g tablet).  I would continue to pay for the service, as I have done for 20 years, but then I would be able to use the tablet abroad.  They denied it!  I know it wasn't the agents fault, but surely if an exception could be granted, it would be for my situation.  Regardless, I will need to consider what to do next.  This company is not treating me as I expect of them.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

They don't have to.  The agreement with the FCC is they will unlock once all service commitments and financial obligations are complete.  The tablet would have close to 18 months left on contract.

No big mystery at all

If you want to cancel the line and pay the ETF, go for it.  Then you can chose to use it with a SIM card, or as wifi only device.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

The only unlock exception is for active military. 

AT&T isn't treating you unfairly they are standing by the policy that is in place. Unfair would be if there was a difference in treatment among users but in the case of unlocking there isn't. It requires all agreements to be completed/devices be paid for entirely. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.