For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
Derbyish's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 30th, 2016 3:25 PM

AT&T passport questionss

After reading the many helpful forums I just need to make sure we are on the same page:

1.  First, I suggest AT&T come up with a nice data sheet with step by step instructions as the site is not very helpful and our local AT&T had no info and said we would get it when we signed up.

2.  So, it is my understanding we can use wifi for no charge as long as we are in a place that offers free wifi - so we can surf, email, etc.?

3.  All texts in and out whether to an apple are free with the plan if sent mms or SMS?

4.  Texts can include photos for free?

5.  Like the idea of resetting statistics under cellular data to watch usage.

6.  Basic steps if I am correct are:  Switch off iMessage to force use of SMS/mms; keep cellular data on but turn off data roaming.

7.  If calls come in and go directly to voicemail, are we charged for those calls?

8.  Should we go to play store in apps and turn on no so nothing will update or will that not happen with data roaming off?

9.  Yikes - have we forgotten anything?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Derbyish wrote:

After reading the many helpful forums I just need to make sure we are on the same page:

1.  First, I suggest AT&T come up with a nice data sheet with step by step instructions as the site is not very helpful and our local AT&T had no info and said we would get it when we signed up.

2.  So, it is my understanding we can use wifi for no charge as long as we are in a place that offers free wifi - so we can surf, email, etc.?

3.  All texts in and out whether to an apple are free with the plan if sent mms or SMS?

4.  Texts can include photos for free?

5.  Like the idea of resetting statistics under cellular data to watch usage.

6.  Basic steps if I am correct are:  Switch off iMessage to force use of SMS/mms; keep cellular data on but turn off data roaming.

7.  If calls come in and go directly to voicemail, are we charged for those calls?

8.  Should we go to play store in apps and turn on no so nothing will update or will that not happen with data roaming off?

9.  Yikes - have we forgotten anything?

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1040974

1.   See above link

2.   Uh, yeah, this is true, but not all places offer free wifi and wifi is often congested and unusable.

3.    SMS and mms are free.  iMessage is not SMS, it uses data.

4.    That is mms, while its free, it requires data be turned on.

5.   Yes

6.   Yes, and no.  I would not recommend leaving data on.

7.    No.  

8.    You can turn off auto update, but updates should always be set over wifi anyway.  Worth double checking.

9.     Maybe, if you're going to Canada or Mexico, you may add the free roaming bonus.  Cruises don't count, completely different because you're at the cruise ships mercy.  Not all cruise lines work with ATT.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am buying the passport for my daughter who will be in Europe this summer. She will use text mostly. If she turns off roaming but keeps cellular data on, will she incur additional costs for texting?

If so, what do her phone settings need to be in order for her to have the unlimited texting for the $30 per month? 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

If you buy a passport plan regular text is free.  If she turns roaming data off she won't incur any data at all.  She can leave roaming on and use minimal data for service only and not exceed the 120 MBs included with passport.

If she has an iPhone, turn iMessage off and use SMS only, which is free.  SMS uses very little data, but in this case she has so little to use.

She should only use apps on wifi to avoid overage.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

If you buy a passport plan regular text is free.  If she turns roaming data off she won't incur any data at all.  She can leave roaming on and use minimal data for service only and not exceed the 120 MBs included with passport.

If she has an iPhone, turn iMessage off and use SMS only, which is free.  SMS uses very little data, but in this case she has so little to use.

She should only use apps on wifi to avoid overage.

SMS does not use data, ever. I think Lizdance meant to say iMessage uses very little data. Also, you do not need to turn iMessage off. As long as data roaming is off and your message settings have "send as SMS" on, all your texts will be SMS, not iMessage. Basic rule is leave data roaming off unless you want to use data to check email, check Facebook, etc. Once done, then turn data roaming off. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks! Does she turn off voice roaming as well?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@wiechey wrote:

Thanks! Does she turn off voice roaming as well?

I'm not sure since my phone has no such setting but my guess is turning off voice roaming will prevent texts from working as well since texts use the voice network. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Probably a very stupid question, but...One time fee of 60.00 per 30 hour period...does that mean 60 dollars charged every 30 hours while in Europe, if I use the phone everyday? OR, a "one time fee" of 60 dollars for usage up to a 30 hour period. Example: overseas 17 days. Use phone each day but for only limited period of time (1-10 minutes)?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

@prelawschool

Passport is 30 DAYS, not hours

You might want to read the options.  https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans.html

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Hello.

I am going to be in French Polinesia and bought ATT Passport.

I am trying not to get charges for incoming calls if I am not answering.

In above stated replies I saw the statement:

" 7.  If calls come in and go directly to voicemail, are we charged for those calls?" Answer was "No"

I just spent 30 min with customer support and advanced technical support and they told me that this answer was wrong.

There are only 2 options available not to get charges for incoming calls:

1 Remove voice mail with customer service help 

or

2 ALWAYS call forwarding to non-working number.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@Sbelkine1 wrote:

Hello.

I am going to be in French Polinesia and bought ATT Passport.

I am trying not to get charges for incoming calls if I am not answering.

In above stated replies I saw the statement:

" 7.  If calls come in and go directly to voicemail, are we charged for those calls?" Answer was "No"

I just spent 30 min with customer support and advanced technical support and they told me that this answer was wrong.

There are only 2 options available not to get charges for incoming calls:

1 Remove voice mail with customer service help 

or

2 ALWAYS call forwarding to non-working number.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well they aren’t correct either.  Is some countries users report being charged for a 1 minute call for anything that went to voicemail.  With passport that’s 35¢.   I’ve traveled to places in the Caribbean and calls to Voicemail were never charged.  (And we know how many robo calls that amounts to) 

Why forward to a non working number?  Why not to a phone in the USA?

I should add I travel without a plan every year, and the cost would be $3 a minute rather than 35¢.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.