For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
asterios's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, December 7th, 2009 2:35 PM

AT&T makes it intentionally hard to cancel Navigator

Cancelling from Navigator should be as simple as going to Preferences in the Navigator application itself. But there is no way to unsubscribe from Navigator from within Navigator.

Cancelling from Navigator should be as simple as texting the word STOP to a short code. But Navigator has no short code.

Cancelling Navigator should be as simple as logging into Online Account Management, clicking on "My Features" and clicking a radio button. But Navigator can't be unsubscribed OLAM - you need to specifically visit att.com/directbill.

Cancelling from Navigator should be as simple as visiting att.com/directbill from your web enabled phone. But in order to login, you need to type in a verification code AT&T texts you. So, I quit the web browser on my Samsung Propel, read the new text message, copy the code down on a piece of paper, re-open the web browser and visit att.com/directbill. Guess what happens next? I'm told the code is incorrect and a new one has to be sent. And no, it's not because 5 minutes have passed and the code has expired, I've done all of that in less than two.

Why is it so hard to cancel Navigator? Because AT&T wants to make it such a hassle that you put it off for a while, then forget, unknowingly paying the $10 subscription fee in the process.

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

14 years ago

I just called customer care (1 800-331-0500). It took about ten minutes, and most of that was me waiting on hold.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Yeah, but why shouldn't it be as easy to unsunscribe to a service as it it so subscribe? You can subscribe to Navigator with a click - why not cancel with a click?

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

14 years ago

@shenanigans wrote:
I just called customer care (1 800-331-0500). It took about ten minutes, and most of that was me waiting on hold.

He is right.....The easiest way is to call into Customer Care. They can view all of your purchases such as the Navigator up to I believe its 3 months and can easily remove them.

------Skeeter

Scholar

• 

474 Messages

14 years ago

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

13 years ago

What gets me is they have the option check box under features to opt out of the feature but it does not remove it. How hard is it to remove that and simply put in text that you must call to disable ? Its not hard so I have to believe they leave it that way for a reason and there is only one reason... $ When I asked why they had the misleading opt out check box they replied they could not be responsible for the customers lack of understanding... ???? The situation is simple.. Some customers click the non operational check box to opt out and go on thinking the feature is disabled and continue to get charged. Some will finally figure out its not disabled and call to disable. They may or may not ask or get credited for the charges that slipped by. No doubt ATT ends up keeping this feature fee from some people.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I clicked on the directbill link above, entered my wireless number, immediately received a text message with an eight-digit verification code, entered the code, clicked on the Navigator link in my list of purchases, and clicked cancel.

I think it took about 30 seconds because I entered a cancellation reason and I don't type very fast.

Then I went through the whole process again with my wife's phone, and it took about 20 seconds.

Even though I am an AT&T user, I've never liked the way they do business (there's a good reason the federal government broke them up in the 1970s, which I still remember), but is it possible that you actually might have entered the code incorrectly?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

It is hilarious how they state instructions on my wireless bill with ow to unsibscribe. text STOP to the code or whatever (there is a column for it on the bill)... low and behold! AT&T lists "n/a" in that column.

i resent AT&T when i pay my bill. on the phone i cancelled this horrible app twice. maybe i shouldntt be exercising patience and manners on the phone? my kindness is a strength... believe that. *sigh*

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Every time I try, they are experiencing a failure '500', and I should try later.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I know this post was from several years ago, but it's the first link that came up in my search for how to cancel the AT&T Navigator service. I read the first two replies and contacted Customer Care who then told me that in today's world; you can do this on your own directly from your phone through the MyATT app. Look under My Plan & Services, select your number (if you have more than one) and you can see all the services availale.

Select a service and you can find out about it, Add it or if it's already added, remove it. Simple.

Hope that helps the next person who finds their way here for the same reason I did.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Yes this is still going on and is clearly a systemic problem. Scratch that, it's clearly intentional policy.

This is the #1 thing I think of when I think AT&T -- a giant company who shamelessly cons their clients out of hard-earned money by being shady, and underhanded, and untrustworthy, and aboe all DECEPTIVE

How disgraceful to put your own employees in the line of fire with this type of crookedness.

My last attempt to cancel service involved waiting on hold **18 MINUTES** while the rep went to "verify" something --- she never returned, I hung and called back.

You can't BEGIN to imagine how loudly I drag this company's name through the dirt to anyone who mentions them.  This time next month I'll have a different provider, but for decades I'll recount the repeated terrible deception I experienced with AT&T.

BTW - first three attempts to cancel online failed flatly --- clearly BY DESIGN

SHAMELESS 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.