For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
formerlyknownas's profile
ACE - Sage

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 6:10 PM

AT&T free service to stop spam calls!

https://cdn.ampproject.org/c/bgr.com/2016/12/20/att-call-protect-fraud-spam-robocalls/amp/

Like anything else, there are limits.  Because it requires HD voice, non ATT phones and Gophone service customers won't be able to use this.

ATT newsroom. 

http://about.att.com/story/att_call_protect.html

"  ......In an effort to combat this trend, AT&T earlier today launched AT&T Call Protect, a new service designed to automatically block suspected fraud calls and to provide warnings for any suspicious calls thought to be spam. The service will be provided free of charge for AT&T customers who have AT&T’s HD Voice feature.

“Nuisance calls are an industry-wide problem that unfortunately affect many people,” AT&T senior VP Jeff Bradley said in a press release. “We’ve listened to our customers and know they want a network that provides tools to proactively assist in blocking nuisance calls. AT&T Call Protect, along with others, will help put customers more in control of the calls they receive.”

Additionally, customers who take advantage of AT&T’s Call Protect feature will be able to block certain numbers for 30 days and take advantage of a few other features if they download an AT&T Call Protect companion app.

AT&T’s press release touting its new Call Protect service reads in part:

Automatic fraud blocking which helps reduce the chances that a customer will become the victim of a phone fraud or scam by stopping these types of calls in the network before they even reach the phone.
Suspected spam warnings on the incoming call screen which let customers choose whether or not to answer calls that originate from a suspected spam source. (Must be in HD Voice coverage area).
All in all, stopping fraud calls within the network is a great idea that will hopefully help stem the tide of organized fraud campaigns like the rash of fake IRS calls that sprouted up again this past summer....... "

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Download the app onto your smartphone and login with username and password.  

I don't have an ATT phone, so it says my line is not eligible for the service. 

Rachel from card services will miss you all.

Good luck and I hope it works!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

UPDATE...

I added this on my second line, on a galaxy S7. It works okay, but so far many calls are still going through.

I have 'DU Caller' on my main line and have been using it for over a month.  It works very well and calls that have been tagged as spam, don't even ring through.  I get a notification only.  

In my case the ATT app isn't an option because It requires a phone that is HD voice capable.  It I am using non ATT android phones, which do not receive HD voice with ATT.  

On a scale of 1-10, DU Caller gets an 8-9

Att Call Protect is about a 5.  I took off 2 points just because it was so difficult to activate n my second line.  1-2 points for only working half the time.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Looking for a way to block unknown callers. Started getting calls where No Caller ID or Unknown is displayed. Multiple times a day and night. Usually multiple in a row. ATT offered to change my phone number, but that is a hassle I've had the same number for 12 + years and seems like the wrong fix and does nothing to discourage this practice. If i answer the caller (assuming its a robocaller) hangs up after 1 second and sometimes calls right back. I have a couple of voicemails left by it too silent for a couple of seconds then hangup. In this day and age it should be easy to disallow anonymous calls like this. Play a message that says this customer does not accept anonymous calls or something. I cant imagine this not being a good idea. Or what the drawbacks would be, plus it would allow the customer to keep their phone number instead of going through all the hassle of changing it. It would be no different than adding anonymous to a blocked caller list. Which would also in my opinion be an acceptable solution. 

ATT already has this functionality for business lines. I can't imagine it costing much for them to allow it on a residential/wireless line. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to ask for features. Hopefully this can be considered a feature request from a 20+ year customer. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

@CPetty   Did you read the thread?   

This service is for wireless (cellular) phones.  If asking for a home phone, this is the wrong forum.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Yes I wanted this service for a cellular phone

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Use the links in the original post.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Yes this for Iphone wireless

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

The point is that this service is a good idea, but falls short or being useful. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

At least in my application. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.