Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T Passport plan - texting/calling, what numbers do I use?

Teacher

AT&T Passport plan - texting/calling, what numbers do I use?

Traveling to Southeast Asia using AT&T Passport plan.  While there, if someone in the USA wants to text or call me, do they simply use my 10 digit number as if I am still in the USA or prefix it with a +1?  If I am texting/calling from Asia to someone in the USA, do I use +1 and ten digit number?  If I am texting or calling someone in the country I am in - say Thailand, and the number I would dial from the USA is 011-66-53-607-XXX, what number do I dial?  Guess the question boils down to whether my phone is treated as if I am still in the USA or actually in Thailand (which would mean I dial 53-607-XXX).  Thanks.

Also, I am getting conflicting info on the $0.35/min charge for calls.  An AT&T CSR via chat told me received calls are free while making calls incurs the charge but I see in older posts on the forum indicate all calls incur the charge.

Message 1 of 3
ACE - Sage
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by SDHacker
‎09-22-2019 9:04 AM

Re: AT&T Passport plan - texting/calling, what numbers do I use?

@SDHacker wrote:

Traveling to Southeast Asia using AT&T Passport plan.  While there, if someone in the USA wants to text or call me, do they simply use my 10 digit number as if I am still in the USA.  Yes.  

If I am texting/calling from Asia to someone in the USA, do I use +1 and ten digit number?   No.

If I am texting or calling someone in the country I am in - say Thailand, and the number I would dial from the USA is 011-66-53-607-XXX, what number do I dial?  You dial the full number with country code. 

Guess the question boils down to whether my phone is treated as if I am still in the USA or actually in Thailand (which would mean I dial 53-607-XXX).  Thanks.   Yes, you call as is in the USA. 

Also, I am getting conflicting info on the $0.35/min charge for calls.  An AT&T CSR via chat told me received calls are free while making calls incurs the charge but I see in older posts on the forum indicate all calls incur the charge.  Incorrect info from CSR.  Calls are 35¢ for you no matter received or dialed.  Text is free.  

To control data and stay under your cap, and because some countries may not be covered, you might want to keep data roaming off unless you need it.   Data roaming is the most expensive and stealthy way to run up a bill.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 3
Teacher

Re: AT&T Passport plan - texting/calling, what numbers do I use?

I don't know if lizdance40's reply is correct for each question but since no one else replied and her answers agree with most of what is in the AT&T Passport Hints doc I found, I will accept it as the solution.

For this question, AT&T and lizdance40 disagree:

If I am texting/calling from Asia to someone in the USA, do I use +1 and ten digit number?   No.

AT&T states that +1 is required.  Guess I'll find out when I go on my trip.  I'll try to remember to update this in late November with what I experienced.

Message 3 of 3
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support