Get the myAT&T app
1021Libra's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, February 27th, 2015 7:51 PM

AT&T Next

What is the reason for AT&T Next? How come when I went to upgrade my phone the associate at the retail store was pushing this AT&T Next and telling me AT&T does not do subsidize plans anymore? 

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

They do subsidized plans. Looking on the web they are called contract plans. However AT&T gets 2-3 hundred dollars plus plan fees for the only. With next plans they charge the whole amount of the phone over 20/24/30 months. Trade in the phone and upgrade 12/18/24 months depending on the next option. To upgrade before all payments are made you must trade in the device. next phones get added to mobile share plans at $15 and contract phones get added to the plans at $40.  They are recouping more from contract phones. Everytime I have compaired total cost of the device, next was cheaper than contract. next cost per month+$15 per month for 24 months vs 2-3 hundred up front cost+$36 activation cost+$40 per month for 24 months. The associate telling you they don't do subsidized pricing anymore is just trying to force next, but check the cost maybe you should. 0 down 0 activation fee and after all the payments the phone is yours.For further information http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/next.html

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@1021Libra

All carriers now require customers to pay for their phones, one way or another.
Truth is, they always did. The two year contracts on top of the initial payment is how they recovered the cost in the past and with current 2 year contracts now.

The Next plan allows customers to buy a phone on installments with no interest charges.

You can still ask for the 2 year subsidy contract. It often costs less for individual plans and low data plans.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.