Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
hourback's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2012 9:13 PM

Horrible customer service after death of family member

My mother was on my sister's family plan.  Upon my sister's death, several things happened:

1. Upon receiving notice of my sister's death, AT&T refused to cancel or change service until they received a death certificate.  My mother requested that they change service because she did not need the $300+ unlimited plan my sister had, but only the simplest plan, at around $50.
  2. Upon receipt of my sister's death certificate, AT&T told us that my mother could start her own plan, and that the $300+ past due amount (which was due to my sister's death) would not be held against her, but could be paid by the estate as a separate matter.  They told us that my mother's service would not be interrupted, and that she would have her own service, separate from my deceased sister.
  3. When I called AT&T regarding a letter AT&T sent to my mother, offering to bundle her services, they told me that they were unable to fulfill the offer they made in the letter.  The told me that after she had her own service, she would be eligible for a bundle (including wireless).  They told me that she would have her own account, separate from my deceased sister, after January 2.
  4. Following January 2, my mother's wireless phone stopped working.  She went to the AT&T store, where she was told that her service had been canceled, and that they were even charging her an early termination fee, even though she wanted to continue service.
  5. They told her that my sister's past due amount had to be paid in order for my mother to restore her own service, even though AT&T told her differently on two occasions.
  6. AT&T told her that after she pays my deceased sister's past due amount (which, if paid by the estate, could take months), AT&T would consider giving her an account after performing a credit check.

All of this happened despite our repeated attempts to communicate clearly with AT&T in advance of these deadlines.  AT&T failed to give us consistent and accurate information.  My mother has been an AT&T customer for decades, and told AT&T this, and that she would consider canceling all of her AT&T services (home phone, Internet, wireless).  In response, AT&T told her that they were sorry, but it was their policy.

I am accustomed to being disappointed by large businesses, but this has been particularly disappointing, frustrating, and angering.

-Ali

Guru

• 

530 Messages

12 years ago

Hello hourback, 

Please check your messages as we have sent you instructions on how to get us the information we need to better assist you. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Similar boat.  I bought a phone for my Dad on a Family Plan and he passed away 2 weeks after doing so.  I've paid every month now and almost at end of term but they insist on wanting to charge me 86.00 for early termination.  This appears like a double standard as if he had his own contract reportedly the would simply cease and desist.

Corporations need to be cut and dried in a sense of  responsibility to stock holders but at the same time I don't think anybody would disagree that a death would be a discerning factor of contractual obligation.

I have a transcript from my "chat" and obviously this is a first line of defense for the company's bottom line. You'd think she was deaf or doesn't read well.... "Hope you're having a nice day" !!! Really, just wonderful!

I've been a long term customer and they are on auto pay. Can't be late and simply money in the bank  I can't get the bad taste out of my mouth!

Guru

• 

617 Messages

10 years ago

Hi turftech,

I am sorry to hear about your Dad and the experience you have gone through with AT&T.  We are currently reviewing your account and someone will be contacting you soon.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Same type problem...father passed leaving me company when probate switching things over service cancelled. We called prior to to ensure my number would be kept so to put on new stationary order and business card...been week no service new chat or email start all over explaining problem..was close today...then line goes dead...closed for day

Employee

• 

355 Messages

10 years ago

Hellom

I am sorry to hear about your dad. Would like to help with your service issues. I have sent you an email with information. Please respond with the requested infomation so I can further assist you.

Thank you 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for the quick service, I did get phone back on within 24hrs of your post, however I believe there is something else going on here. I keep asking for my Premier username and password and feel I am getting the run around. What these agents are not understanding is that as the owner of the company I ultimately am responsible for the bills, and allowing people that are no longer employed by FVS, no longer have any rights to activate, turn off or extend services of which I will have atty intervene if need be, I wouldn't think it should come to that. I have my court orders, and have offered to send copies, I have all information past and present. Today, I contacted them again, to get the "NICE" how are you, love to help, please send information; only to then get: I will have someone contact you tomorrow and mark it Urgent. I explained I need access to the prior months bills for court Friday, as I am prosicuting the two that were taking advantage in excess of $900 per month since my fathers death just on this acct., Public Admin's CPA had documented well over 300K and need documentation for all, the same two have destroyed office files, as I wasn't able to be here due to my cancer treatments I was dealing with at the time of my father's death. Please help if at all possible, I would like to close all this up once I walk out of the courthouse on Friday.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

You people keep removing my posrs and saying you will email me but don't. Now that I read things from others I know I'm not an isolated incident. This stuff will get out into the forums outside of att so you should take these complaints more seriously. I'll try once more within this forum to get help. .. here is the last post you moved or deleted. ..I posted a comment about how i can't get a representative to call me back. I asked for help from somebody. ..anybody to help elevate my situation. I've been a customer for over 15 years. Instead of getting a reply my post was erased. Has anyone else been treated like this?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am experiencing this myself right now.  My father passed away on November 7th, since then I have talked to 23 different people at AT&T trying to find out WHY his account was charged $480 last month and also how to stop the monthly $20.95 charge being taken from his bank account.   The website says in cases of family death call the provided 800 number, but people at that number tell me they can't help with Maryland based accounts and transfer me to someone who can't help me because of some other reason.  Every single person I talk to says they cannot help me and then transfers me to someone else who can't help me either until eventually I get disconnected.

Either they are in the wrong state, or can only help with long distance, or can only sell me new service but can't help old service, and one person said they could not close the account unless I knew my father's security question.

I have now done this song and dance ten times without any better results, sometimes never even being able to talk to a human.

AT&T is about to charge me for another month of unused service just because the astoundingly poor customer service can't tell me how to close the account or even why he is being charged.  And based on this thread, clearly this is not that uncommon.

If the only way I can get results is to post a complaint here, or on other websites as well, what does that tell you about the process?

Former Employee

• 

288 Messages

9 years ago

Hello l.salisbury ,

I have emailed you requesting additional information.
Please respond for  further assistance.

Thank you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

my dad passed away and had me on a family pack withe his triple play plan. my lawyer said i cant close the account i dont have the right to yet. i told at&t my spot i was in and explained to them ive been with them for over 15 yrs. the number i have everyone knows for many many years. i got a heart transplant so i use my phone alot to email and send texts directly to my doctor for over 5yrs now. they told me that i needed to pay the $538 bill before they would do anything for my number. im on ssi i explained im on a fixed income, i cant pay that! i asked if i could switch to another plan and i would behappy to stay with them even though i can get a lower plan with new number through verizion. theyve always been good to me and my family for all these years why change now? i just dont get it? looking for help, fcc says my number cant be locked but they tell me differ.

Employee

• 

355 Messages

8 years ago

dawnman.

I am truly sorry to hear about your loss. I will be glad to get you some assistance for your account concerns. Please send me a private message by Clicking Here http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/103392 and include the following information so we may assist?

Please include the following information.
Full Name:
Preferred Contact #:
Preferred Time to be contacted (include time zone):

Thank you

Lisa

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am experiencing a comparable, horrible experience at the hands of AT&T.  I have had four contacts with AT&T in a week. The first person I talked to refused to talk with me.  She was insolent and completely ignorant of how to deal with customers.  I was not even allowed to explain that my sister had died and ask what I was supposed to do.  

The second person I talked to at least heard my question but was unable to help me or direct me to any information.  

The third person was helpful--I called the number listed on the website, but because I called from my sister's phone, our conversation was cut off in the middle.  I think the account has been cancelled, but I don't know that for sure as I have no documentation and AT&T does not have my contact information.

The fourth person I talked to (when I called back trying to complete the third conversation) gave me a completely different interpretation of what I was supposed to do (go to an AT&T store with the death certificate, letter of administration, etc.).  Unfortunately, I live 30 miles from the nearest AT&T store.  This seems to me to be a completely unreasonable expectation, and it is not at all in line with what is listed on the web site.

And then, it is impossible to determine how to submit the necessary documents or receive confirmation that the account has been cancelled.  I refuse to call again--I have ended up in tears after three of the four conversations because of the complete inadequacy of AT&T's customer service communications.

So--where can I send or fax the documents and how can I get confirmation that the account is cancelled?  The line is definitely dead, but I know better than to trust this company.

I have been appalled at the poor customer service and will never, ever have an AT&T account for anything.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

This is completely in line with my experience thus far.  AT&T should be ashamed of its corporate communications and culture.

Employee

• 

121 Messages

8 years ago

Hello Caabla,

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble getting assistance.  I'm more than happy to help you with making sure this situation gets resolved. 

In order for me to research your issue, I will need to verify some information.  Please send me a private message by clicking here: http://bizcommunity.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/126057

And include the following details:

• Full Name/Name on Account:
  • Wireless # (if applicable):
  • Your full name:
  • Preferred Contact #:
  • Preferred time to be contacted (including time zone)
  • Email address:
  • What type of service (Uverse, DSL, Landline, Wireless):

Thank you,

Nancy A.

AT&T Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

We also have had horrible service regarding the death of my husband and trying to cancel a business account including uverse..  My office manager and myself were brought to tears by the insensitive service of the agent.  We were told that we would have to pay  a termination fee of 150 on one account and 80 on another because he did not fulfil his contract.  We offered a death certificate but was told we would have to fight it out after we got those charges.  This is hard enough for me stopping crying long enough to talk to someone to cancel our service.  This company is the most insensitve of anyone we have had to deal with.  Instead of helping us, they are creating more stress by suggesting we FIGHT it out when we get the final bill only prolonging the pain for us.   

Not finding what you're looking for?