Need to get in touch with a Sales Representative? Talk to a Business Expert HERE .
vicorly's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 7:42 PM

AT&T UVerse with Static IP Subnet - 2Wire Gateway is Useless

One week ago, on July 19th I had UVerse installed for my home based business. U450 TV, two phone lines, 18 Mbit Internet with 29 IP subnet. Each of the three services has problems.

1) Do you record lots of TV shows in high definition? Well AT&T's Total Home DVR doesn't have that much capacity, and you cannot add an external eSATA hard drive to expand the capacity. That's why I'm keeping the DirecTV.

2) Do you have a home alarm system? Chances are it doesn't work well over VoIP and you will still need to have an analog phone line.

3) Here is why I want to take the AT&T U-verse gateway, run it over with my car repeatedly, and send the resulting jigsaw puzzle to Randall Stephenson (AT&T's CEO):

a) Do you run a specialized computer setup in your home business? I do. You can't disable the U-verse gateway DHCP server, period.  OK, I can deal with that. I'll just get the TV set top boxes to run over coax cable to physically separate it from my gigabit Ethernet LAN. 

b) I have an already existing wireless network that has its own DHCP server. Well it's going to conflict with the DHCP server in the AT&T gateway that you can't turn off. I don't want to switch my perfectly configured wireless network to bridge mode. I want the AT&T gateway to be a bridge from my existing perfectly configured network.

c) Last but not least... Do you have a real hardware firewall like a SonicWall or Cisco PIX? Well, guess what... The AT&T gateway won't let your perfectly configured SonicWall control TCP/IP addresses beneath it, because the AT&T gateway wants to be in charge of everything. The 2wire gateway seems to operate in a "hub and spoke" type manner. While you may have a nice big static IP subnet, the 2wire needs to manage each IP address directly, vs. letting my firewall work, as it has perfectly for about 10 years. I personally use a SonicWall TZ190 (and previously older models of SonicWall devices). 

So that being said, I use the SonicWall to establish VPN site-to-site connections to my clients, and I VPN into my SonicWall when I'm on the road to access my LAN. Pretty simple, right? Lots of businesses do exactly what I'm doing. Personally, I'm well versed at computer networking, as I'm an IT consultant. This is what I do.  Basically, the 2wire UVerse gateway (3800) is completely useless in a business environment.

Former Employee

• 

576 Messages

13 years ago

Hi vicorly,

Thank you for participating within the AT&T Business Community.  We will need account specific information to better assist you.  We have sent you a Private Message with further details on what information we would need and where to send it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I would love to know the resolution in this. You are in the exact same situation I am.

1) Real firewall and existing multiple network home lan with dhcp, etc.

2) Want to have real storage vs 200g.

I am currently w/ charter and dtv, and these items are what is keeping me from going uverse.

john

Guru

• 

530 Messages

13 years ago

Hi jkeeton,

Thank you for participating within the AT&T Business Community.  We will need account specific information to better assist you.  We have sent you a Private Message with further details on what information we would need and where to send it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I too am having the same issues with abuse of the ARP table and in ability to turn off the DHCP server.  The RG abuses ARP to limit each Ethernet MAC address (i.e., physical computer) to just one IP address, either public or private -- not both. This precludes attaching a "real" router to the RG to manage your address block. Specifically when connecting an ASA or PIX.  Please explain how I can fix these issues with the RG or it looks like it will be time to switch providers.

Guru

• 

530 Messages

13 years ago

Hi vickers507,

Thank you for participating within the AT&T Business Community. We will need account specific information to better assist you. We have sent you a Private Message with further details on what information we would need and where to send it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

What a joke!  This forum is no help to anyone.  AT&T won't even post a solution, they just tell you to e-mail support.  I wish somone with some technical know how would post on why the RG is so horrible.  I have never seen a bigger pice of junk.  Why would you build a device that goes against normal networking practices. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I'm trying to setup static IPs on a 2Wire 3801HGV.  When I assign a static IP to a computer, the only website I can assess is yahoo.com, nothing else.  Also cannot assess services on the computer remotely.  Would also like to configure a cisco ASA router behind to handle network security if possilbe.  Have been on phone with tech support for an hour, disconnected and now WAITING to get reconnected because I was not called back.  HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I have encountered the same issue as vicorly in regard to trying to use a "perfectly configured firewall" behind the 2Wire 3801HGV.    I need a workaround for this as well. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Vicorly, did you ever get an acceptable solution for this?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Has AT&T provided or has anyone else been given a solution for this issue? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I too want to be able to disable the AT&T dhcp sever. I have my own that I want to use. I don't want to have to set up my home server to handle this task if I don't have to. AT&T needs to give back control to the user. It really pisses me off when a ISP forces you into crap like this. 

Guru

• 

617 Messages

12 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please create a new thread if you still have issues.

Thanks!

Not finding what you're looking for?