Explore & discover

Helpful Links

att tv streaming primary tv box to additional smart tvs

Highlighted
Tutor

att tv streaming primary tv box to additional smart tvs

To stream from the primary box to an additional smart tv, I am having issues.  I'm fully connected to the internet.  Is a third party device such as Roku or a firestick required for some reason and why?

Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: att tv streaming primary tv box to additional smart tvs

What issues exactly?

Message 2 of 16
Tutor

Does Amazon's Firestick support ATT TV? The rep could not tell me which
devices supported their service, and now I am unable to locate an app on
the Amazon Firestick I just ordered. A technician to come and install
versus calling support would be beneficial.
Message 3 of 16
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Snowcat14
‎09-24-2019 10:31 AM

A number of things there:

• To use a streaming service (whether Netflix, HBO, one of AT&T’s or any other), you need a streaming device and a TV. The streaming device runs an app of some sort for each streaming service it supports. I don’t know of any streaming devices that can support more than one TV at a time. A “smart TV” is just a TV that has a streaming device built in. In most cases, the built-in streaming devices have a smaller list of available apps and poorer support by the manufacturer than separate (standalone) streaming devices.   So, if you have one of the AT&T branded streaming boxes (Osprey), it will support one TV (smart or not).  A second (smart) TV will be able to run some streaming services using its built-in device - for others you will need a separate device (and bypass your TV’s “smarts”). 
  • AT&T currently has  2 different services that will work with the AT&T streaming box: AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW.  While these 2 services are similar, they are apparently treated distinctly by the apps that support them. I have never  used AT&T TV (just “NOW”), so I’m not sure how it actually operates, but the information that AT&T has on their website implies it only works using the AT&T streaming box (plus mobile devices and web browsers) - that is, not on other streaming devices like Roku or Fire TV. AT&T TV NOW, on the other hand, specifically does works on those streaming devices (and a few others, including some built into smart TVs). 
  • One of the reasons AT&T is pushing streaming (as an alternative to their satellite or cable(ish) services) is to reduce or eliminate technician trips (“truck rolls”) because they are expensive.  AT&T TV NOW doesn’t provide any on-site support - only remote support (by online chat). It is unclear as they roll out AT&T TV service (which I think is intended to appeal to more “traditional” TV service customers) whether they will stay with that, will add phone support, or will go all the way to tech visits.  I will guess not the latter. 

So - depending on which service you have (and which smart TV), you may be able to get the service on the second TV using an app on the TV, or you may need to get a separate streaming device, or you may need to get an additional AT&T streaming box.  But regardless, you will need something in addition to the single AT&T streaming box you already have. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 16
Professor

@Snowcat14 

"AT&T TV" is too vague. Your other posts on this subject seem to reference "U-verse". The streaming service that runs on Fire Stick is "AT&T TV NOW". "AT&T TV" is different from both of those and requires a box from AT&T and is self installed. But it's still in beta in a few limited markets. So I doubt that's what you're talking about.

A technician will install U-verse or DirecTV for you. But AT&T TV NOW and AT&T TV are both self installs.

It would be helpful if you could specify exactly which service you're talking about.

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Expert

I assumed the OP was talking about an Osprey and AT&T TV [NOW] because of the explicit mention of “att tv streaming”. But if there was earlier mention of u-verse, that might well not be the case (unless the “u-verse” being mention was u-verse Internet, which was the old name for AT&T Internet).  So yes - additional details would help...

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16
Professor

@Jrandomuser , in his other thread he talks about one box serving the connected TV AND two others. That sounds like how U-verse and DirecTV work, with a master DVR and several client boxes served by that master. Osprey is one box per TV, as you are already aware.

AT&T only confuses the situation by calling a specific service AT&T TV as well as referring to ALL their streaming plans in general as AT&T TV as evidenced by the name of this forum and the name of the common app for AT&T TV and AT&T TV NOW. Just give them completely unique names for God's sake. As it is now, every time somebody posts, "tv no worky", we have to play 20 questions.

Message 7 of 16
Tutor

Thanks everyone. I am getting the kinks worked out and figured out how to get all of my tv's going.  This post was about the new ATT TV only.  Not uverse, direct, dish, Watch, Now, or other offerings the company has.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 16
Professor

In that case, it's one box per TV. Besides possibly using an HDMI splitter, there is no way to connect more than one TV to a single box.

Your account allows a maximum of 3 boxes/streams.

Message 9 of 16
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Snowcat14
‎10-21-2019 3:09 PM

Actually, @Jrandomuser you can stream AT&T TV on those 3rd party devices. I wrote about it here: https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-TV-Setup/att-tv-streaming-primary-tv-box-to-additional-smart-tvs/m-p/...

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 16
Contributor

I am having the same issue with AT&T TV.  I was told that I could put the box on my main smart tv and could also watch it on 2 other smart tvs or dumb tvs with roku, amazon fire stick, etc.  The smart tv with the box is working fine but my other smart tv and my dumb tv with the fire stick, I cannot figure out how to watch AT&T TV.  There is no app on my other tvs to log into AT&T TV.  I have tried to get through to Tech Support with no luck, on hold forever.  I have a 14 day trial period of which I only have 2 days left.  Needless to say I will probably be sending it back.

Message 11 of 16
Employee

Only 2017 and 2018 Samsung smart tvs support the AT&T TV app. You would need to install AT&T TV to a Roku, FireTV or AppleTV device if you do not have a newer Samsung.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 16
Contributor

I tried doing a search in the apps program on the firestick and on my Vizio tv and it was not found.

Message 13 of 16
Professor

You don’t search in apps. Just do a search from the search icon at the top left of the home screen. The app name is AT&T TV. Realize the price is going up by $15 soon, so you may not want to bother. 

Message 14 of 16
Tutor

I wonder if your Firestick is new? I just purchased one brand new from Amazon that had the ATT TV on it.  Same with Roku, it has to be a newer version to see the ATT TV selection.  For a dumb tv with no USB ports, you'll need a connector to plug in the Firestick or Roku.  I purchased a Bleiden connector from Amazon just because I liked their YouTube video - it was really easy to install.

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support