Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: Directv NOW on Android TV

Tutor

AT&T TV on Android TV

Why isn't the AT&T TV app available on any Android TV devices? I have multiple TV's and boxes running Android TV and don't want to have to buy another box just to run this app on my TV. When I initially purchased my subscription over the phone I was told it worked on all Android devices. This could very well be a reason I cancel my subscription.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 42
Contributor

That is not an official release.... how do some of you get dressed without
help?
Message 16 of 42
Mentor

Add me to the list of new Direct TV uses who would like to see the app run on Android TV boxes.  I am in the 3 month low cost incentive trial period but may cancel if I can't find a suitable solution.

Message 17 of 42
Tutor

I've signed up for DirecTV NOW for the month so that I can have access to all of the 2018 World Cup matches. I can watch DTVN on my Android phone, Android tablet, and the Roku attached to the TV in my master bedroom. However, I have an NVIDIA Shield Android TV connected to the Sony TV (also Android TV) in the living room. There isn't an Android TV app for DTVN; casting tends to be a poor experience and does not work for Cloud DVR recordings; using the computer to load up DTVN in a browser to watch on the TV is not a family friendly solution. So, at this point, I will definitely cancel my subscription once World Cup is over, and the lack of an Android TV app is high on the list of reasons why I will cancel. The majority of DTVN competitors are available on Android TV, such as Sling TV, YouTube TV, and Playstation Vue.

Message 18 of 42
Guru

I hope they support LG TV's too. In the meantime I am using Roku streaming sticks. One of them I received free from DTVN. They are still offering free devices so the fact the app isn't available for smart TV's, except Roku, is kinda a mute point.

@rbrinson  There is a way to get DTVN to work on the shield. Search the forum or Google it.

Message 19 of 42
Tutor

@Gazoo119 I was able to sideload the Fire TV APK of DirecTV Now onto my Shield, and that does work. It is a bit frustrating that AT&T have a code base using the lean back interface that works with the Shield remote and yet they haven't just tweaked that to add an Android TV or at least a Shield Android TV app. The DirecTV Now app is more responsive on the Shield than it is on the Roku that I have connected to the master bedroom.

Message 20 of 42
Mentor

Is it the current version of DirecTV Now with DVR support ?  Where did you get the FireTV apk ?  I tried a few Fire TV apk downloads on my T95Z Plus Android box with no luck. 

Message 21 of 42
Highlighted
Tutor

@jbinkley60 I found a discussion on the XDA Forums site concerning sideloading the DTVN Fire TV APK. I used ES File Explorer to download and install the APK. The link in the post is to a file share for the most recent Fire TV DTVN APK with Cloud DVR. As I said, it works with my non-rooted Nvidia Shield Android TV with the current official ROM. https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76832847&postcount=863

Message 22 of 42
Guru

@rbrinson  I think the shield has better specs than any of the Roku devices. Glad you were able to get DTVN to work on it.

Of course I agree DTVN needs provide apps for more platforms and smart TVs. But I am sure they will be busy for awhile getting the bugs worked out on the apps they currently provide before they approach it. We just have to wait and see.

Message 23 of 42
Mentor

Thanks for the link.  That is one I had tried but it won't run on my Android box.  My T95 Plus Android box came rooted and I've not been able to figure out what the DTV app is looking for so it won't run on this box.  I've went ahead and bought a couple of Roku Ultra devices but they become a special purpose box just for running DTV Now.  I had hoped to use the T95 Plus boxes because they have an octal core Amlogic processor, a good GPU and Kodi runs well on them so I could have gotten down to a single box vs. a dedicated box for DTV Now.  I don't ever see a DTV Now Kodi addon which would be a great solution.  The Roku support for DTV Now is Ok but the Roku platform is limited on codecs and similar for audio / video. 

Message 24 of 42
ACE - Master

There's undoubtedly more to it than just getting the build to run on Shield.  Aside from questions as to whether the Shield runs vanilla Android TV or a modified version that might make it easier for the Fire version to run, and what changes if any would be needed to get it to run on other - and more widespread - Android TV targets, like Sony Bravia (which it it might now, but I've need no reports indicating that), there is the fact that there are other considerations before a "working" app is productized and released.  There are at least branding, testing (believe it or not Smiley Happy), and support issues - all of which take resources that they might not have available right now.  I hope (well, for other people - it wouldn't affect me) that after the current releases are stabilized, they will devote the resources to get a true Android TV release out.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 42
ACE - Master

The DTVN apps won't run on a device they can determine is rooted, because it would violate their content licenses (a rooted device could in theory allow the decrypted digital stream to be intercepted and recorded).  I don't know what method(s) they use to check for rooted state, so no idea if it would be possible to spoof it.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 42
Mentor

I am not partial to Android and I realize that Android is not vanilla pudding where all Android devices / boxes are not alike.  I would just like to eventually see a DTV Now client (other than a browser) which is hardware / platform independent so we aren't limited to vendor specific hardware.  I realize that may make the software more difficult to support and Windows or Linux may be the OS which can provide that better than Android.  But for now I went the Roku route and will live with it until a better option comes along.  I agree that I'd rather get better stability and a few annoying software oddities fixed before looking at a wider platform base. The good news is that the Roku stability has been better this past 4=5 days.

Message 27 of 42
Contributor

I have a MiBox and Nvidia ShieldTV boxes and am unable to install the DirecTV Now app, I'm an Android guy so it works on my phone and Chromebook but it's a bit frustrating having to try cast from these to my MiBox or Sheild TV. To add to this I'm an ATT wireless and ATT Fiber customer so I'm well invested in ATT and feel that it would great if Android TV user could get an update on if and when an app will be available for Android TV. Side note: Dish has SlingTV which has an AndroidTV app that was pre-installed on my MiBox so I know they have a working Android TV app. 

Message 28 of 42
ACE - Expert

Don't can't on a app in the near future with the issues they have with the current supported devices.

Message 29 of 42
Tutor

bcbsncjlj I really wish you knock your attitude. Every post on threads has a snippy tone. Relax man you don't get paid by DirecTV now

Message 30 of 42
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support