Explore & discover

Helpful Links

AT&T TV on Android TV

Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T TV on Android TV

Why isn't the AT&T TV app available on any Android TV devices? I have multiple TV's and boxes running Android TV and don't want to have to buy another box just to run this app on my TV. When I initially purchased my subscription over the phone I was told it worked on all Android devices. This could very well be a reason I cancel my subscription.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 42
Professor
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by cain4355
‎01-10-2018 11:16 AM

Re: Directv NOW on Android TV

The person probably meant all Android smartphones. That's their mistake, for sure. A list of available devices can be found here.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 42
Tutor

So, is there ever going to be a port for Android TV? I feel like they are missing out on a HUGE market by not including it. I know there are people side loading the app but I want the full functionality for the services I am paying for not partial.

Message 3 of 42
Professor

I have not read anything to indicate they are pursuing that option, but I can't be sure either way.

Message 4 of 42
Contributor

I'm with you on that.  Spectrum and several other competitors have their apps on Android based smart TVs, it is really disappointing they do not have an app.  Sure there are ways around it like hooking an HDMI cable up to my laptop or casting from my phone but the quality takes a hit and that's a little ridiculous considering it really does not take a huge amount to port over the app from Droid mobiles.   

Message 5 of 42
ACE - Master

As noted, Android and Android TV aren't the same (similar, but targeting different user interface models).  They probably will have a supported Android TV app at some point - they seem to have all the separate pieces needed to create one fairly readily (and in fact apparently had one at one point, though they may not have had the rights to generally distribute it), and the additional support load seems like it would be minimal given the currently supported Android variants.  However, for whatever reason they haven't released one or said anything about it, and you can't depend on them actually providing one, especially not soon.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 42
Contributor

It's  because most Android TV boxes are rooted, and DirecTV NOW will not work on a rooted device.

Message 7 of 42
ACE - Master

It really has nothing to do with that - while many (or most?) "Kodi boxes" might be rooted, most Shields and other "legit" Android TV boxes probably aren't, and likely few if any Sony (or other) TVs are, and the latter 2 are almost certainly the larger group.  (Whether most Kodi boxes run Android or Android TV is another issue.)  They do block rooted (or jailbroken) devices, but they can determine that dynamically - they support iOS and Android even though some people jailbreak or root their devices.  Instead, the problem is just that they don't have an Android TV app (haven't developed one that they are prepared and able to release).  Android and Android TV are quite similar (the major difference is the UI they present) and some people have apparently sideloaded (a modified version of?) the Android app on some Android TV devices, with some level of success (you'd have to search for details).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 42
Contributor

What kind of answer is that?? Why would you assume that? I came here for the same reason, where is the app for my Android TV? (Not smartphone)

Message 9 of 42
ACE - Expert

And like others have stated - its not available. When it becomes available you will know like the rest of us.

Message 10 of 42
Contributor

All they have to do is port the AppleTV UI and remap the gestures to buttons so it'll work on AndroidTV, so I don't understand why they don't do that...if you're an Android user, you're stuck streaming from the app to your phone and then have that image streaming from your phone to your Chromecast which at times makes the app think you're using 2 devices and another person in the house can't use the app...I really don't understand what is keeping them from wanting to help Android users ASIDE from the fact that they want to start offering the service through their own AndroidTV set-top boxes, so, MOST LIKELY, they don't want to release it until they can charge you a monthly fee for their box

Message 11 of 42
ACE - Master

"All they have to do" is create the app, test it, be willing and able to support it, and release it.  They haven't done one or more of those steps - it's that simple.  Why haven't they?  We don't know - they haven't told us.  However, all but the last of those steps requires they devote resources, and right now I'd think they are devoting all the resources they have available to finishing the next gen/DTVN 2.0 system and apps so they can get it out the door.  Once that is done (one hopes soon), then they might have resources available to address new platforms. No one from DTVN has said they don't want to provide an Android TV app, just that they don't do so at this time.

At this time, there is no evidence that the box that they submitted to the FCC will necessarily ever become a product, let alone that it will have anything to do with DTVN or that they would rent rather than sell them (since there are lots of other - inexpensive - choices for streaming DTVN, it seems unlikely that there is much of a market for a rental box for DTVN).  So I think you are making a huge leap with your "MOST LIKELY"...

Message 12 of 42
Contributor

-##I would suspect because they are two different programming languages and
it is not as easy as "porting some buttons"... different libraries, driver
sets, etc... definitely not a weekend project for a couple of people.
Message 13 of 42
Tutor

They already had an androidtv app (LeEco).  They pulled it and never released a public version.  It's a shame!

Message 14 of 42
ACE - Master

They (DTVN) never disclosed what that was all about, but my assumption is that they didn't own that app (that LeEco did - paid for as part of their initial "special marketing arrangement" with DTVN), and DTVN didn't have the rights to release it for other use - I can't think of any other reasonable explanation.  (Unless perhaps LeEco used a heavily modified version of Android TV, so the app wouldn't have supported anything else, but I don't think that was the case.)  When LeEco failed - or at least when their buyout of Vizio failed and LeEco left the US market - it seems like they withdrew the app.  It wouldn't make any sense for DTVN to not release a working Android TV app if they had one in hand, unless it wasn't theirs to release...

Message 15 of 42
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support