Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How do you get away with $20 credit/debit card authorizations?

Contributor

How do you get away with $20 credit/debit card authorizations?

So I decided to check out the free trial to see if the revamped AT&T Now might be an option to go with going forward. I signed up and submitted my card, expecting an authorization of $1-2 to verify the card and billing address. I was quite shocked when they took out a hold of $20 on my card. TWENTY. That is absurd. 

So I contacted them immediately and was told they would expedite the release of the hold. The next day it was there so I contacted them again to check on the status and I was ensured by an agent that they would expedite it and the hold would be released within 24-48 hours. Over 48 hours later, still no release. So on that Friday afternoon I contacted them, and was told the same thing, I would get it in 24-48 hours. 

I don't understand how they can do this, or worse, why they think they need to. Everyone else who does this makes withdrawls or credits accounts $1-$2, at most. That is all that's needed in order to accomplish what they need to accomplish. There is absolutely ZERO reason to put a hold for $20. And if they're going to, they need to make that very clear before anyone submits their card. 

I can promise you now, I will not be using AT&T TV going forward, nor will I ever purchase AT&T products again. 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Moderator (Moderator)
Accepted by ATTCommunityTeam
‎08-23-2019 11:03 AM

Re: How do you get away with $20 credit/debit card authorizations?

It was only a hold amount to verify the CC. It drops after a few days.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

You don't need to place a hold for $20 to verify a card. Nobody else does, it's always some small amount, not $20. That excuse does not fly or work. If it's going to be that much, they should be letting people know before hand. 

Additionally, those holds are often released within 1-2 business days. This hold is not being released for a full 5 business days, in other words, a week. Basically they charge $20 collateral for this "free trial". 

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

I agree, most vendors posting a hold to verify a card do so for a dollar or two.

But that's for a single purchase. The rules for continuing charges might be different.

Someone posted here a while ago that they changed their payment card and saw a $1 hold, presumably to verify the new card, so new accounts may be treated differently from pre-existing ones.

If a $20 hold causes you problems you may want to think about whether you should be paying for TV at all.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Community! It’s Televisionary!

Additional Support