bskts4you's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, January 4th, 2014 6:22 PM

new home telephone service

I spent 2 hours on the phone this morning with AT&T, I have talked to Fuja, Lois or Louis (female), Richard (who is supposedly a supervisor), and Kathy in repairs (who was the only person that tried to be helpful), plus several others. 

I signed up for new home telephone service on the December 26, 2013, and was given a new telephone number and an order number (N*****).  About a week later, when my phone service was actually connected, it WAS NOT THE PHONE NUMBER that I was given as my new number.  I had already published what I thought would be my new number in several places, change of address cards, and a newspaper advertisement for used furniture.  The number that I was given by Daniel in new accounts on 12/26/2013 was actually already in existence and I am sure someone is unhappy that they are getting calls from my classified ad.

Please note that I did not request a specific number, Daniel in new accounts offered me a number that had already belonged to someone else "for some time."

[edited for privacy]

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi bskts4you,

I greatly apologize about the inconveniences this has caused for you. I understanding how frustrating this can be.

-David T

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Unfortunately per AT&T policy, the number is not guaranteed until it's installed and working.  It's been that way since I started doing communications in 1978.  I know that doesn't help much but sometimes reps forget to relay that information.

I know allot of businesses that would order service and want to pre-print their business cards, stationary, etc. with their new number but we always told them not to do it ahead of time, or we would tell them to get just their main number installed early, get their printing done and then add the rest of the lines they needed once they were ready to move in or relocate.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Also Businesses can get a consecutive block of numbers such as 3400 3401 3455 and use these as their extensions and have Direct Inward Dialing.  So for instance extension 3044 can be 408-123-3044 and the voicemail system knows its 3044 so when you use the dial by name directory it routs it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.