Beckyfc's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, July 27th, 2013 3:30 PM

land line problems

I tried to move the phone box to another room.  Didn't work, so I put it back.  All of the lights are green, but my phone says NO LINE.  Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Beckyfc - One of the jacks on the modem is labeled tel1 or tel 1&2. Plug the phone into that jack to verify dial tone. Then you have to figure out which plug/wire goes from that jack to the wall to carry the dial tone to the other room.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

madmike62n - Yes, when you switch from POTS to U-verse voice the source of dial tone moves from the NID to the line 1/2 jack on the RG. To get that dial tone to the rest of the jacks connect the line 1/2 to any wall jack that is connected to any others.

Also, make sure those jacks are not connected to the RG feed or the NID.

At the RG location you could get a multiple jack and connect all the same color wires together behind the plate - This would allow the dial tone feed from the RG and another one or two phones at that jack.
If you use a splitter, make sure you get a one line/two (or more) sets do not get a two line splitter. It is wired to break out both lines from the tel 1/2 jack. If you only have one line & use a two line splitter, the second set will not have dial tone.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

When in doubt re-boot the router.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Beckyfc - If the modem reboot does not work - You have U-verse voice?? You are plugging the phone into the tel jack on the modem?? what kind of phone is it? Can you try another phone/cord??

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Just did a reboot by removing the power cord from the back then replacing it.  That didn't work.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

I have uverse phone only.The modem is where it was ititially set up, but the phone is in another room.  The only thing I havent tried is switching the connections at the modem.  I didn't pay any attention to which one went where when I disconnected them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

My Hero!  As much as I hate to admit it, I had plugged the line into the incorrect ports.  But thanks to you I got it worked out and the phone is now back in service.  Thank you.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

Beckyfc - YW, glad I could help. Everyone makes mistakes, Good for you to keep at it & get er done.

So, you want to move the modem?? You need to see where the wires from both jacks go, Where they are close together, you need to swap them. That is. one wire comes in and goes to the jack to feed the modem. The other connects all the other jacks. Is there one jack that both feeds the modem and gets the dial tone to the rest of the house? Or, are there two jacks one to feed the modem & one for the telephones?

Hard to say it - it sounds complicated. Identify the modem feed and the dial tone distribution. You. need to get the modem feed to the new room. The dial tone feed works in both directions. Look at your wires to see if you can figure it out. Not questioning whether or not you can. Anyone trying to do this has to observe it and figure it out, even a U_verse tech. Gives you a new respect for their abilities.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I was told today that the only way any jack would work was to be plugged onto the phone line 1 or 2 jack on back of modem.  it was necessary to plug a wireless base into jack 1 because none of my home phone wall jacks have a dial tone including the one the modem is plugged into.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

As I am an old guy and missed out on acronyms, I am making up my own names for NID (no idea) and RG (router-gateway?).

Am I to run a double ended RJ-11 line back to another jack to get the phone signal into my wall jacks or how do i make my home wall jacks active?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.