For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
mark0417's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 11:15 PM

Phone Porting Run-around - Help Please

Hello.  I'm hoping someone can assist me with the nightmare that has been getting my U-Verse phone working.  

We had our U-Verse cable, phone, and internet installed on Monday, 7/14.  The appointment was scheduled 14 days prior, on 7/2 (that becomes important in a minute).  So, the tech tried and tried, to no avail, to get our phone working the day of the install.  After talking to his manager, he told me that for some reason the port got "cancelled" but that it should be working by ealy afternoon the next day (7/15) and, if it wasn't, to call the manager.

So, I waited until 3:00 in the afternoon on the 15th, and, when the phone still didn't work, I called the manager.  He said he had paperwork there for me where he had sent over the emails to the port group for "escalation," and that it should be good the next morning.

So, the 16th came and, guess what?  No phone.  I waited until late afternoon and called the manager again.  He said the escalation was in progress and that it should be good the next day (sigh).

So, late afternoon came on the 17th (today), and still no phone.  This time I was unable to get the manager, so I called the customer service number.  They transferred me to their tech number.  The tech instant messaged with the port folks for about 45 minutes, then said she'd call me back.  About 30 minutes later, she did.  She told me the request for the port had been "aborted" and that the error code given indicated that the request did not allow sufficient lead time for the port.  So she changed the "due date" to 7/22, which allows the required 2 business days for AT&T to port the number from Time Warner.  I explained that was unacceptable, but there really seemed to be nothing she could do.  

So now I'm posting here.  I've seen several folks have success with getting help here when all else fails.  My issue with this whole thing is this:  I made my U-Verse install appointment 14 days in advance, well within the "required 2 business days" leadtime.  It's not my fault if someone didn't submit the order in time or whatever happened.  I was told, repeatedly, by the manager that it would be the next day, then the next day, etc., etc.  I really don't want to wait until the 22nd to have my phone activated, and I feel like AT&T should do everything they can to help me out here, since none of this is my doing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Mark:

I understand your frusteration.  If you want to spend the time, please check out my post at "Will Someone at AT&T Solve My Porting Problem?"  I have been trying to get my old number ported since April 30th, and no one seems to care. 

I have placed no less than 22 phone calls to AT&T and my prior provider combined, and at least 4 AT&T supervisors have committed to calling me back to make sure my number is ported; no one has ever called on the day of porting or on the day after porting. 

I have a temporary phone number that no one knows, therefore no one can call our house.  It is not just friends and family, but doctors, schools, youth coaches, credit card companies, insurance companies, utility companies, and any other entity that asks for a home phone number on their application, or anyone who looks up our phone number in the Yellow Pages.

I am paying both AT&T and my former provider, and we have no incoming phone service.

I have been billed (and my credit card has been swept) at least three different amounts, and the only consolation to make up for my troubles is when one of your representatives offered me $20 off of my monthly bill.

I am experiencing a combination of the kid’s game “Hot Potato” and the movie “Groundhog Day”; AT&T just wants to pass me along to get me off of the phone without dealing with the root of the problem, and they just keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

I wish I had a better story to tell with a better outcome.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the late reply, and I am so sorry about the issues you have had trying to port your telephone number over. I will be happy to help in every way possible. We will be sending you a private message to gather more information and make sure everything gets resolved.

-David T

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Portingissue,

I am so sorry about the issues you are having with porting your telephone number. I am showing that one of our agents has reached out to you in regards to that issue. If you are still having issues, please send us a message by clicking here.

-David T

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks! I'm happy to say my phone is now working 🙂

Mark

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

I am glad to hear that Mark! If you ever do run into any issues, always feel free to reach out to us.

-David T

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.