WhiteHouseAtas's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 18th, 2014 4:11 AM

Got Uverse, phones don't work, customer service is useless

Got Uverse. Installed ourselves bc we just wanted the upgraded speed (which isn't all that fast, frankly). Our cordless home phones now no longer work. They are older phones. We don't have nor want VOIP or any of that. It's not the jacks. We have an old-fashioned corded phone (bc when earthquakes happen and the power goes out for three days, we'd still like to have a phone - experience speaking) and it works in the jacks. Uverse has somehow conflicted with the cordless phones. We don't have anything going through our TV, etc. They are just BASIC cordless phones. That no longer work. AT&T customer service was useless. They acted like they'd never heard of the problem when a quick Google search shows that it's common. Any suggestions?? We are NOT techy people and I'm not paying ATT $55 for each 15 minutes to come out to my home. I'd rather cancel the Uverse and send it back. Not happy at this point.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

WhiteHouseAtas - The first couple of attempts can be trying what is most likely. But, at some point the troubleshooting has to be double elimination of each component. Double elimination means the component works on a known working circuit & a substitute (known to work) works when it replaces the component in question.

Possible suspects are - House wiring, base cord and tel set/base/system.

You cannot replace the house wiring & it can be very complicated. Be clear on what works with what - The plain phone works in both jacks & the base phone does not work in both jacks. Did you have DSL previously? Did you use filters at each phone?

Base cord - verify it works with plain phone.

Wireless phone - verify it works at another residence. Try turning of U-verse wireless in u-verse.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

MyThoughts: thank you! You were the ONLY person I had contact with at ATT who had the right answer. Everyone else kept talking about bad lines and broken phones. You were the only one who mentioned the MHz issue, which turned out the be the cause. We bought new cordless phones for $40 and they work fine now. I appreciate your help.

But shouldn't the OTHER five or six customer service reps I spoke or Tweeted with have had the same suggestion? Expecially the reps on the phone? It's like ATT doesn't know its own product. A Google search showed that I'm not the only person who had this same issue.

Thank you for your help!

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

How about 1.9ghz cordless phones?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.