Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT Digital Home Phone with Comcast Xfinity Internet?

Highlighted
Contributor

ATT Digital Home Phone with Comcast Xfinity Internet?

Currently leaving ATT/DirectTV Triple play for Comcast (need reliable internet) but an ATT rep actually told me that ATT Digital Phone could theoretically run on any internet connection (not just theirs)--as long as that connection doesn't block it (he said to ask). Sounds goofy, but what if I got Xfinity Internet package only, somehow managed to get them to give me a telephony modem (or I bought a compatible one after install and returned theirs), and then tried to run my ATT Digital Phone on it? Of course I don't have to RETURN the ATT U-Verse ARRIS modem (yet) but the Xfinity install may kill it (so no land line for a week or longer might not kill us). 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Master

Re: ATT Digital Home Phone with Comcast Xfinity Internet?

Doesn't sound logical to me.  U-verse phone is based on the IP address and the Comcast IP will be different than your AT&T modem.  I could be wrong, but I sure can't see one company letting the other put their service on the other's network.  If that were the case there'd be no need to port numbers from one company to the other. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks. I wouldn't have occurred to me to ask this if the ATT customer service rep hadn't said that a coworker said it was possible. But I'm not asking to change phone providers just the local transport of said service (using Comcast network).  If I continued to pay ATT, why would they care which network I was on? It's just low-bandwidth phone service not internet. I'm more worried that Comcast wouldn't allow it.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by keysnpics
‎07-03-2019 12:43 PM

That was my point, I don't think Comcast would allow it.  Also I don't think AT&T makes an ATA (analog telephone adapter) that's not built into their own modems. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support