For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
FLPatriot59's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, May 23rd, 2014 4:05 PM

U-voice & Fax Machine Setup

I have a new Gateway (as of 5/17/14). It has one phone jack on the back. I have plugged in a splitter with one line going to the desk telephone and another line going to the HP 4500 Fax Machine.

How do I setup my single-line phone to answer if a voicemail is needed vs. an incoming fax? I can send faxes fine. I'm just not sure how to tell the phone to distinguish between incoming faxes and voice calls.

I have the fax set to auto-answer after 5 rings. However, if it's an incoming voice call and I reach the desk after 5 rings I miss the call or the caller hangs up and didn't leave a message because the line went to the fax machine instead of to voicemail. Help!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

FLPatriot59 - U-verse voice does not have a feature for that. Whichever you set to answer first will always answer first.

There do seem to be a lot of combo answer/fax machines. Check them out to see if they auto select voice/fax. Voicemail would be set to a higher ring as a backup or to catch messages when the phone is busy.

Another option is to get the second U-verse voice line. Use one for voice & one for fax.

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I actually found an answer that may help:

According to page 52 of the HP DeskJet 4500 Printer Manual you can set the number of rings before answering if you have an answering machine on the same line as the printer. What you want to do is have the Answering Machine set to answer the phone before the device.

Set the number of rings before answering

If you turn on the Auto Answer setting, you can specify how many rings occur before incoming calls are automatically answered. The Rings to Answer setting is important if you have an answering machine on the same phone line as the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax, because you want the answering machine to answer the phone before the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax does. The number of rings to answer for the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax should be greater than the number of rings to answer for the answering machine.

For example, set your answering machine to a low number of rings and the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax to answer in the maximum number of rings. (The maximum number of rings varies by country/region.) In this setup, the answering machine answers the call and the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax monitors the line. If the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax detects fax tones, it receives the fax. If the call is a voice call and I haven't picked it up by 4 rings, the answering machine records the incoming message.

So I have my phone's answering machine feature set to answer at 4 rings (if I miss the call) and the HP DeskJet 4500 Fax to pick up at 6 rings. I also turned off the U-verse VoiceMail feature so that only the phone's answering feature records messages.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

FLPatriot59 - In that case you will never receive a fax on auto answer because the answer machine will trip the ring at four rings & record the tone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.