mike53's profile

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

Saturday, June 1st, 2019 10:15 AM

TELEPHONE CUSTOMER SERVICE-ROBO CALLS,

I called AT&T customer service about Robo Calls. First, you get a rep. in an offshore country that dosen't speak English. Then whatever your concern is they have to look in their computer for an answer because they have no knowledge of how to fix anything. You tell them you want to speak with a supervisor in the continental U.S. and they say can't do that?

Second, You ask that caller I.D. calls labeled spam, telemarketer, or unavailable, be blocked and all you get is a tutorial on a long drawn process on how the customer can try to do it their self.

I have downloaded Numerous Norombo apps and logged on to my att and none of it works.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Common problem and until the government and ALL the Telco's can agree on a tactic to combat this it will continue.  The piecemeal approach of giving the consumer "more tools" is not the answer.  There are bills in the congress, Senate to be specific to address this, but as far as I can determine there's been no agreement reached.  No one company can do this on their own because of the many data bases used.

There's many topics on this subject, both on this forum and by using your favorite search engine.  The person you contacted can do zero about it.  

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Here's the latest on the Senate bill from about a week ago.  It now goes to the House.  

This is just my opinion, which I'm known to have a few.  Until they get rid of the money in this and the "everyone but me" lobby they will never seriously address this issue.  Overseas companies where most of these originate could care less about US laws or the fines they impose. Shaken/stir is a start, but it doesn't go far enough and at the present time only T-Mobile is making much of an effort at it.  Like stated above none of this will work until ALL Telco's are onboard and it's probably going to take federal regulation to make that happen. 

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

5 years ago

I agree with you! What I don't like is that we pay ATT for our phone service. I know they could easily set up a program that would use caller I.D. to block numbers that say "unavailable" or "spam" or "telemarketer" etc. Greed is the only reason they won't.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Unavailable, unknown, no data sent, those are basically what they say, if there's no data sent as in those three examples than there's nothing to block. Also there are times glitches happen when the data does go through, yet it's a legitimate call.  The "possible spam" is fairly new and is mostly used on VoIP and wireless services, but just because it says spam or possible spam doesn't mean it is.  Anyway it's just not as simple as most people think and believe it or not there are certain calls the FCC doesn't allow the phone companies to block at this time, one is 800 numbers so if everything else were fixed by all the phone companies working together yet that rule wasn't changed by the FCC than overnight the spammer and those spoofing would simply change to 800 numbers.  The greed part I agree with as they are making money on these connected calls.  Just use your favorite search engine and see who all is exempt from the current do not call rules.  Prepare to be ticked off.  At any rate this subject has been pretty well beat to death in numerous topics and articles.    

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

USA today article The latest statement.  Shouldn't surprise anyone the phone companies want $$$ to do this. 

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Washington Post latest information on where congress stands on robo calls. Article was written 6/20/19

Mentor

• 

99 Messages

5 years ago

I found a new app on my Uverse service. You can bring up all your calls on your TV. Wouldn't it be nice if ATT added a simple program with a block check box next to all the numbers.

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

This is the latest from AT&T, notice that at least for now it's for wireless only. Link here

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

agree!!  or let us block on land line up to 1000 number!!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

then they need to give me the option as they do on wireless to block all numbers i want on my landline.  so sad the victim of these calls have to option to stop all of them.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.