rochrunner's profile

Mentor

• 

98 Messages

Friday, November 16th, 2012 2:32 PM

Static noise on phone

We have a new U-verse installation using the latest iNid technology. One issue I've noticed occasionally is "static noise" interference on the phone line, which sometimes the other person can hear as well. This also seems to only happen on the corded phone, but we haven't used it enough to draw that as a firm conclusion.

Since the network connection wires from the iNid to the inside wireless gateway box run through the same cable as the analog voice wires (separate wire pairs, but in the same cable), I'm wondering if we need to install some line filters. I know when I hooked up my mother-in-law's DSL service a couple years ago that we definitely needed these.

That could also explain why I've noticed it more on the older corded phone -- the cordless phone is a more complex device and might have filtering built in.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

rochrunner - No, filters are not required for u-verse. If you had DSL without filter, you would hear a tone, not static.

A common cause static is a worn out handset cord. Of course, it could be any bad connection that moves. Try wiggling the handset & base cords to see if you can cause static.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.