For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ATTU-verseCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

Tuesday, July 28th, 2015 3:55 PM

Recent Changes Regarding Battery Backup

BBU.png

Battery Backup Units will NO LONGER be installed with new installations for both Residential and Business U-verse Voice customers.

If you would like a Battery Backup Unit, kindly visit this site for more information on Purchase, Installation, and Setup tips.

If you need assistance with your already owned Battery Backup Unit, visit this site for more information

by ATTU-verseCare

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

This is a cynical, dangerous and money grubbing policy NOT communicated to consumers.  AT&T is routinely removing all older routers with a backup battery on service calls even when there is nothing wrong with the older router.  They do NOT tell the customer that the new router lacks a backup battery.  I did not change to VOIP until I was assured the VAP2500 router they would install had a battery backup.  Yesterday the tech removed my perfectly good 2500 router (I was not home, my wife was) and replaced it with a 5268 with no battery backup.  I discovered it lacked a battery because I checked the specs and we had another technician out the very next day, whom I asked point blank.  One day after the fact and AT&T would not return my old router.  If this happens to you, it's possible you will believe the new router still has a battery backup, until you lose telephone service when the power goes out.  They do not tell the consumer this because they understand no rational person is going to give up a perfectly good router with a backup battery for one without.  You can buy a backup battery, but that costs $40 + shipping, and it will be worthless if this router goes bad or gets removed without you knowing it.  While waiting for a battery backup you will be vulnerable.  Shame on AT&T.  I've filed a complaint with the FCC.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Correction, I don't know the model of the router that was removed.  The VAP2500 is a WAP that is still part of my setup.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

@SqStSm wrote:

This is a cynical, dangerous and money grubbing policy NOT communicated to consumers.  AT&T is routinely removing all older routers with a backup battery on service calls even when there is nothing wrong with the older router.  They do NOT tell the customer that the new router lacks a backup battery.  I did not change to VOIP until I was assured the VAP2500 router they would install had a battery backup.  Yesterday the tech removed my perfectly good 2500 router...

I quit reading here.  Because a VAP2500 is not a router.  It is a Wireless Access Point that is used for Wireless TV Receivers.  If you don't know that much about your configuration, if you don't know that you can go to Best Buy and purchase a perfectly capable UPS system to plug your 5268ac into, then I'm not sure what else to tell you.  Except that you could actually just purchase the backup battery that the 5268ac can have... here

Since I don't know what Gateway they actually replaced (and you never stated), I cannot speak to what reasons they may have had for upgrading your gateway to the much newer and more capable 5268ac.

EDIT: Yep, I see that you saw the error of your ways right before I posted this.  Also I want to point out that this change in policy was published last July when it took effect.  In fact, your reply is posted to one such notice.  Ah, the irony.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

This is a cynical, dangerous and money grubbing policy NOT communicated to consumers.  AT&T is routinely removing all older routers with a backup battery on service calls even when there is nothing wrong with the older router.  They do NOT tell the customer that the new router lacks a backup battery.  I did not change to VOIP until I was assured the VAP2500 router they would install had a battery backup.  Yesterday the tech removed my perfectly good router (I was not home, my wife was) and replaced it with a 5268 with no battery backup.  I discovered it lacked a battery because I checked the specs and we had another technician out the very next day, whom I asked point blank.  One day after the fact and AT&T would not return my old router.  If this happens to you, it's possible you will believe the new router still has a battery backup, until you lose telephone service when the power goes out.  They do not tell the consumer this because they understand no rational person is going to give up a perfectly good router with a backup battery for one without.  You can buy a backup battery, but that costs $40 + shipping, and it will be worthless if this router goes bad or gets removed without you knowing it.  While waiting for a battery backup you will be vulnerable.  Shame on AT&T.  I've filed a complaint with the FCC.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

I corrected my post with a note that the VAP2500 was a WAP.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Irony?  Are you claiming customers must be assumed to know of a policy tucked away in an obscure corner of a forum that even I did not know existed until I went looking for information? That's arrogant nonsense.  The point is not whether the 5268AC is or may be superior to the year old router I had, which worked perfectly.  The point is that an AT&T technician removed a router that had a battery backup and replaced it with a router without a battery backup, and did not tell us.  If I had not checked the specs on the 5268 and confronted the technician who showed up today, I might have found out we had no battery backup only when the power went out and we needed the telephone for an emergency.  My router was removed because either (a) the technician wrongly believed it was responsible for the random pixelation of our TV images (it was the signal that was corrupted due to a line problem about a block away), and/or (b) as I learned today, AT&T is removing all routers with battery backups whenever they are found during any service call.  I can only repeat that this is a cynical, dangerous, money grubbing policy.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

@SqStSm wrote:

...I can only repeat that this is a cynical, dangerous, money grubbing policy.

Yes, you're quite good at repeating that.  Thankfully the moderators have removed a bit of the repetition.  And I can understand why you say "dangerous" and possibly "cynical" but would you explain "money grubbing?"  AT&T does not sell the replacement batteries.  They have no financial incentive to pull a gateway out of your home to replace it with one that doesn't have a battery.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T argued vociferously before the FCC against any rule to require backup batteries for equipment where the household subscribed to VOIP.  It saves AT&T money on equipment.  Not telling customers they are installing routers without backup batteries saves technicians time, which is money to AT&T.  Don't try to tell me that the obscure notices AT&T provided about this change in policy was anything but an attempt to avoid complaints.  These notices are akin to those provided by the Vogon construction fleet in "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy."

"[Vogon Captain] People of Earth, attention, please! People of Earth, your attention please! This is Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz of the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council. As you are probably aware, the plans for the development of the outlying regions of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy require the building of a hyperspace express route through your star system, and, regrettably, your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition. The process will take slightly less than two of your Earth minutes. Thank you very much.

(ANGRY, CONFUSED SHOUTING)

[Man] Get out of it!

[Woman] No! No! No! Go away! Go away!

[Vogon Captain] All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, and so you've had plenty of time to lodge any complaints and it's far too late to make a fuss about it now!

(ANGRY SHOUTING)

[Vogon Captain] What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven's sake, mankind! It's only four light years away, you know! I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that's your own lookout! Energize the demolition beam! God, I don't know! Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all!"

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

8 years ago

Yes, I understand that not installing the battery saves money.

I'm talking about your assertion that they swapped out your gateway with one that doesn't have a battery was some how financially driven just to deprive you of a battery you already had (and that they'd already paid for).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just recently responded to an email concerning the upgrade of our ATT U-Verse gateway. There were supposed to be significant improvements in WiFi coverage range and other things. We have been on U-verse for a number of years (January 2010). That was not a pleasant experience, and had not the installer been the greatest guy around, he would have been tossed out the window. Even he was frustrated when he discovered that the telephone lines were not being switched properly. But that is neither here nor there.

I accepted the offer of the new gateway. Who wouldn't. Except that I did not learn about the Battery backup issue until I went to install the new gateway.

I am sure that the change in the TOS was posted somewhere. But it certainly wasn't highlighted. Had the offer said to the effect that "switching to the new gateway will mean you need to buy your own battery backup unit" I may or may not  have opted for the new gateway. What irritates me is that I find this out after the fact.  I talked with your technical support, which was a less than happy experience. She had a hard time giving me a straight answer (and that was after dealing with your silly virtual tech support program). 

I just wish you would have had the courtesy to clarify the issue concerning the battery backup on the offer. 

Yes, I know what you are going to say, something was inserted with the bill to tell us about that change in the TOS.  Let me ask you: do you read all the crud that is often included with the bills, stuff that often has nothing to do whatsoever with the bill?  I doubt it.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.