djandkatie's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, May 6th, 2011 12:42 AM

RE: Faxing

I have a HP6500A printer/fax and the fax does not work with the digital U-Verse phone system.  Does anybody have a solution for it???  I've been told that the fax is analog and the phone system is digital and they will never be compatable but I have heard of some people that their fax does work with this system.  HELP!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

Here's a link to troubleshooting faxing from the HP support site. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02433954&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&site=null&lang=en&key=null&product=4083871.

It does state that your particular machine was not designed to work on VOIP lines. There are some steps to follow that might get it to work, if not, then your options are limited.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

Try lowering the fax machine's baud rate to 9600 and see if that helps. I have an older Sharp analog fax and it works fine.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

lowered the baud rate to 9600 and still no luck.  Any other suggestions??  Thanks for your help.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

When you say it doesn't work, do you mean it can't send or receive faxes? Another question, how do you have it connected?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Hi Warrior,

Yeah, it won't send or receive faxes.  I have my telephone line from the wall outlet connected to the Line 1 in the back of the printer.  It comes back with "communication error occured during the fax transmission....".

Thanks,

Don

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

Try plugging the fax directly into the RG.

Can I use a regular fax machine with the AT&T U-verse Voice service?

Yes. This service works with most fax machines when connected to the AT&T gateway In order to use a fax machine with your U-verse phone service, you need to ensure that the fax LINE connector is connected to the gateway, rather than the PHONE connector. These connectors are usually marked Line and Phone or "L" and "P", or are designated by use of small icons.

Also:

Test faxing by using the HP Test Fax Service:

• You can use the following number to test your fax and get a response fax sent right back to you.  Send a one page blank fax to 1-888-473-2963 (1-888-hpfaxme).  After receipt of your fax, the test fax will generate a return back to you with acknowledgement that your fax was received.  You should receive this fax within 5 minutes.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Warrior,

I tried your suggestion to connect the phone line directly to the RG (Gateway) in the back to Aux Line and still nothing.  I think we're running out of suggestions but I really appreiciate your help.  Anything else you can think of??

Thanks,

Don 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@djandkatie wrote:

Warrior,

I tried your suggestion to connect the phone line directly to the RG (Gateway) in the back to Aux Line and still nothing.  I think we're running out of suggestions but I really appreiciate your help.  Anything else you can think of??

Thanks,

Don 

Did you verify that the Aux Line port on the RG is active? My Aux port was used for my second phone line, when I canceled the second line a few months ago the port  no longer works, I just checked with a old phone I had. My last suggestion is to get a phone line splitter and plug it into the Phone 1 port on the back of the RG and then plug your phone line and fax into the splitter. Let us know what happens. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Warrior,

I tried getting a splitter and plugging it  directly into the Gateway but with no results.  I guess there is no hope for using the fax but I really find that hard to believe that there is no way for it to work. 

Thanks for all your help anyway.

Don

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I can either send and or recieve faxes on my all in one Epson with the Uverse phone service. But I can't do both. They do not offer a Distintive Rong Service so I can have the Fax pick up on one ring and the VM pick up on the 3 or 4 rings. There are ATAs ( little boxes) out there that can do this but  Uverse techies have NO CLUE as to which ones are supportted. I really don't want to have to purchse and return a bunch until I find the right one.  Has anyone found this solution?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.