socalsteve19's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, April 14th, 2013 3:10 AM

Phones don't work after install

U-verse was installed today. Now the only phone that works is the one attached to the U-verse modem. The person on the phone tried to tell me it was my inside wiring, which oddly was fine until the U-verse was hooked up today. Anyone know a solution for this, or should I have the DSL hooked up again?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

socalsteve19 - DSL/POTS service and U-verse voice service are wired differently.

DSL/POTS are both available at the NID on the side of your house and distributed by the house wiring. A filter (or filters) is used to separate the POTS and DSL service.

U-verse service is provided by connecting the NID to the RG (modem). The only source of U-verse voice service is the phone jack on the modem - just as you are connected.

In order to provide U-verse tel service on the existing phones that jack must be connected to your house wiring. The elegant way to do this is to install a double jack wall plate at the RG location - Connect both standard to your house wiring, but not to the NID/modem wire - Label one phone & the other modem - connect the jack labeled modem to the tel jack on the modem (where the phone is now) plug the phone into the wall jack labeled phone.

You could use a splitter instead and leave single jack wiring, Just be sure to get a one line splitter - bot a two line splitter.

Another alternative would be to buy a wireless phone system an plug the base station into the U-verse modem. Place the wireless phones around your house.

Since divestiture, att responsibility for wiring ends at the NID. House wiring is the customers responsibility.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

See if this might help.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you both for your input. I've never messed with phone wiring, and I don't really feel comfortable doing it. As far as the second suggestion, I got no Y-splitter with my kit.

I'm very disappointed in AT&T. There was supposed to be a technician here to install this. Instead, I get a box dropped off by UPS and when no one showed to install, I called and found I was supposed to do it myself. And when I was persuaded to get this "upgrade" there was no hint that most of the phones in my house would cease to work.

There is supposed to be someone coming out in the next few days. I'm hoping they can solve the problem. Otherwise, I'll call the cable company--they can't be worse than this.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

aviewer - Can I just jumper the phone jack on the Gateway to my house wiring?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.