Srssgwj's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 11:06 PM

Misrepresentation of services

Back on February 18th of this year, I decided to look into including domestic long distance as part of our regular (residential landline) phone serice, which previously had been handled (very well) through ECG. Mostly, I just wanted to eliminate another monthly bill.

When I called AT&T and spoke with the rep, they assured me thay had a plan which would meet my needs economically. They recommended changing to the "All Distance" plan, which would provde unlimited domestic long distance, along with a basic package of calling feature (which we don't use anyway). They said that our bill (without taxes and other fees )would increase by $15.00/month (this resulted in the total bill going from about $61.00/month to $81.00/month). This was more than we were paying annually for service from ECG, but I was willing to pay a bit more for the convenience.

However, when I received our May bill, it was now up to $100.11 for the month! After scrutizing it closely to see where the increase came from, I saw that there had been a change in the rate for the "All Distance" service, which went from $39.38 per line to $53.38 per line, driving up the total monthly cost another $20.00. This change was reflected in an order made on May 2nd (not by me).

When I placed the original order on February 18th, no mention was made about a change in rates after 3 months, so I called to inquire about why the rate had been changed. The rep I spoke to informed me that the $39.38 rate was the rate for "bundled services", which didn't apply to our account. There was absolutely no mention made of this during my discussion with the rep who took the original order.Whether by mistake or intentional fraud, it now results in my total phone bill going from about $61.00 per month to $100.00 per month (about a 65% increase). This is clearly unacceptable.

Since I was never told by the rep that the price quoted for the new service was dependant on a "bundle" that we did not have (and was also not mentioned anywhere in the booklet I recieved outlining the change in services), I told the rep I spoke with that this was clearly mis-representation of services and pricing. She didn't agree, saying it was simply an error on the part of the original rep. I told her that whether by error or fraud, I was still paying for a huge increase (and was further never notified of the change).

She was clearly not going to budge, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. Predictably, I have been on hold for and hour and 45 minutes now, and no one has picked up. Typical of the service we've come to expect from AT&T.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

I would recommend you send a private message to AT&T Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

MicCheck:

Done.

Not quite sure why this was moved to the U-Verse forum. It is not related to U-Verse services.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Good luck !!  My experience was .. 3 hours on phone with AT&T pinning down my new bundled service and then next day, on hold for 3 hours while it is determined that uverse TV isn't even available in my neighborhood.  I did move to the phone but it is not working as advertised.  Now your post makes me nervous as to what I will be really paying for my phone .. guess I better call them. 
Stay firm  .. we can't let this bait and switch type of sales go on with AT&T.

@Srssgwj wrote:

Back on February 18th of this year, I decided to look into including domestic long distance as part of our regular (residential landline) phone serice, which previously had been handled (very well) through ECG. Mostly, I just wanted to eliminate another monthly bill.

When I called AT&T and spoke with the rep, they assured me thay had a plan which would meet my needs economically. They recommended changing to the "All Distance" plan, which would provde unlimited domestic long distance, along with a basic package of calling feature (which we don't use anyway). They said that our bill (without taxes and other fees )would increase by $15.00/month (this resulted in the total bill going from about $61.00/month to $81.00/month). This was more than we were paying annually for service from ECG, but I was willing to pay a bit more for the convenience.

However, when I received our May bill, it was now up to $100.11 for the month! After scrutizing it closely to see where the increase came from, I saw that there had been a change in the rate for the "All Distance" service, which went from $39.38 per line to $53.38 per line, driving up the total monthly cost another $20.00. This change was reflected in an order made on May 2nd (not by me).

When I placed the original order on February 18th, no mention was made about a change in rates after 3 months, so I called to inquire about why the rate had been changed. The rep I spoke to informed me that the $39.38 rate was the rate for "bundled services", which didn't apply to our account. There was absolutely no mention made of this during my discussion with the rep who took the original order.Whether by mistake or intentional fraud, it now results in my total phone bill going from about $61.00 per month to $100.00 per month (about a 65% increase). This is clearly unacceptable.

Since I was never told by the rep that the price quoted for the new service was dependant on a "bundle" that we did not have (and was also not mentioned anywhere in the booklet I recieved outlining the change in services), I told the rep I spoke with that this was clearly mis-representation of services and pricing. She didn't agree, saying it was simply an error on the part of the original rep. I told her that whether by error or fraud, I was still paying for a huge increase (and was further never notified of the change).

She was clearly not going to budge, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. Predictably, I have been on hold for and hour and 45 minutes now, and no one has picked up. Typical of the service we've come to expect from AT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

e-lynn: Thank you for your post. Glad to know I'm not alone in this, even though your specific experience involved their uVesre service, (which I can tell you from first-hand experince is horrible).

As suggested previously, I sent a private message regarding my dilemma. Predictably, no response to date.

My next stop is California Public Utilities Commission. My guess is that I am not the only one who has experienced this sort of treatment.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I too was scammed by At&T. I went in to add a phone for my daughter and was talked into bundling phone, direct TV. Guy said he would throw in alarm for free at no charge. i told him i did not need an alarm but he assured me there would be no charges associated with it. A month later, I received a bill for $45/Month for an alarm that i didnt need. I also receved a seperate bill for phone and direct tv. I called them and they told me they could not bundle the bills? Guy at the AT&T store lied to me. I have two witnesses that heard him say there would be no charges for the alarm and the monitoring. Im going to cancell all my at&t services, 6 phones and direct tv

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This is the first time I noticed this 'community' on the AT&T website. YAHOO!  A place where MAYBE some big time executive might actually look to see how their customers are REALLY being treated!! AT&T has been lying to me about their promos, deals, bundles for 3 yrs now. Today was the last straw so consider this my EXIT statement.  Given its the year 2015 it AMAZES me that nobody at AT&T can provide a detailed email on what they are promising you on the phone. I've been told I'd get a 4th receiver at no charge,  a rate of $149 for a bundle...for as long as we stayed with AT&T,  a price decrease of $40 a month....and several other PROMISES.  All of which NEVER lasted more than a few months!!  You are treated like GARBAGE when you call and like you must be hallucinating. A company of this size has NO EXCUSE for this.  So we are moving on,  even if it means the next provider won't be any better.  I am willing to take that chance.  DO NOT TAKE THE poop AT&T will feed you regarding their phone/internet/TV service.  They make MILLIONS off of their lies.   Tell AT&T no thanks!! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.