Folk's profile

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 3:15 PM

Local call ring delay

If I dial a long distance call (1+area+number) the called phone starts ringing immediately.  If I dial a local call (seven digit number only) there is a 10 second delay before the called phone starts ringing.  If I dial the same local number but include the 1+area code, the called phone rings right away.  Is there some setting that will eliminate the local call delay?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks jfw.  That answers my question. 

Now I'll have to decide if I will:

- Dial a # after all local numbers

- Prefix the area code to all dialed calls.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

You're welcome, glad to be of assistance.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

This link appears to be dead now. Do you have an updated link?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I can't seem to find one.  The reason is that the system doesn't know if you're dialing a 7 or 10 digit number after the seventh press.  After the short delay, it assumes you must be done and continues with the call.  Suppling the area code gives it all ten digits and it can dial immediately.

You can somewhat blame the outbreak of new area codes during the 1990's for this; the system used to know if the first three digits were an area code or not, not it can't be sure.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

gblue42 - Are you having a problem? The answer is in post 2. Punch the pound sign at the end of every dial to let the system know you are done dialing & it will connect you with waiting.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.